Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated May 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and weekends off (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

• so far so good not sure what else to say but i need 20 words (in 2 reviews)

"Don't let them fire you into quitting!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lax dress code, easy scheduling

Cons

stringent adherence to promised work hour totals, even when holidays close the office

Advice to Management

give employees a break on their contractual hours total whenever a holiday closes the office

Progressive Business Publications Response

Apr 22, 2015 – Business Team Manager

We do have several hour commitment levels that can fit just about any employees' schedule and we try to make scheduling as easy as possible as you mentioned. We agree with your suggestion of giving ... More

2. "I Love PBP!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

Pros

Great atmosphere, wonderful sales team, good benefits and pay! Flexible schedule and weekends off!

Cons

I honestly can not say that there are any cons for me.. Sure it might have been nice to have more windows and natural light but other than that I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Today was my last day at PBP after being there for almost 2 years. I was so sad to go. Jen Maziarz has been so good to my family over the years and I love her. She is such a wonderful manager with such a strong passion and true love for what she does. The managers are great and the training is top notch. There is a reason Meadville PBP has one of the highest pay up rates in the company-- it is because of our high standard for quality on each and every call, our knowledge and enthusiasm about our products, and our confidence! This is an awesome place to work and I will miss everyone so much!

"Notice a pattern in the positive reviews?"

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lax management, some really smart people work there, flexible schedule

Cons

Absurdly low pay, poor benefits, myopic leadership, tedious grind of a job for a writer/editor, did I mention ridiculously low salaries for all but the very upper crust? You may have noticed a pattern on the positive glass door reviews ... Most of them don't mention the salary at all. To do so In any sort of positive light would be patently dishonest.

Advice to Management

Please. This CEO wouldn't part with a dollar if it were on fire ... Unless, of course, it is to one of his pet charitable causes that generate ego-stroking PR. His rank and file employees mean less than nothing to him; they are drones to be used and discarded at will.

5. "Found a dimond in the ruff in meadville pa"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Meadville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What can I say the benifits the outstand posititive attudues in the office no weekends and flexable hours I work a 2nd job at nts in erie and I got appts and jen is so accomadating by the way meadville is number 1 in sales for the company GO MEADVILLE............

Cons

No cons for working here

Advice to Management

I happen to find the ad on craigslist for this company I said to my a call center in meadville I'm from erie pa I drive 40 miles to and from got hear saw how small of a contact center is and loved it rene who interviewed me was wonderful and jen the branch manager has a. Awsome personality and the rest of the managers back you up the office enviroment is good I got a great sales agent who sits next to me and enouages me to keep gooing thanks to her I'm doing outstanding so for all the negative comments I read about meadville I don't see it and there is no drug use or any of that so a big shout out to jen and the rest of the managers out thank you for helping me grow out of training thanks I love pbp

6. "Wonderful environment to grow in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Management is absolutely on the ball with keeping employee interests aligned with company goals, and there's never a moment where I would question talking to them about anything from a daily conversation to a work-related issue. I was hired after my internship, and all along I have been treated as an equal. There is a very special quality in the social sphere of the company, and makes a remarkably healthy work environment.

Cons

PBP generally has gotten a bad reputation for its telemarketing. All of that is done off-site, and feels very distant from its corporate culture. However, the content of its publications is top notch, and the direction the company is going only promises an even bigger future.

Advice to Management

There should be more offices. Cubes are great for communicating quickly, but it would be ideal to have a sit-down office for each time we touch base.

"Not an ethical organization"

Former Employee - Sales in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people, most of whom are stuck and unemployable elsewhere.

Cons

Dishonesty - with customers AND employees. They spam people about webinars, telemarket sub-standard newsletters/send people to collections for duping them into a free trial, and send out reports and other products that are just re-purposed from other content. Place is filthy, pay was awful, and promises were never kept. Was there for just over a year (shame on me) before leaving. All the good reviews on here are part of an internal effort to offset the organic negative reviews. Note some of the consistencies of recent good reviews, their spacing, and overly praising language.

8. "Great place to work! Amazing work environment and co-workers!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, along with the ability to leave my work at work. Career development courses are offered in-house thanks to PBP having multiple divisions. Managers always willing to let you participate in courses. PBP offers an amazing work environment. Finally it never hurts to have great managers and co-workers to work with.

Cons

Could use more interaction between departments. Put more finances towards current employees.

9. "rewarding"

Former Employee - Sales Representative/Branch Manager in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative/Branch Manager in Reading, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, great people, great pay

Cons

Frustrated at sales standards, the average person cannot excel, company does not cancel subscriptions accurately

Advice to Management

lower standards of sales for employees, rent better ventilated office space

10. "Fun! Fun! Fun!"

Current Employee - Manager in Boardman, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Boardman, OH

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Excellent opportunities for advancement with the company. Great choice for people that have other obligations (single parents, two jobs, etc). Write your own paycheck!

Cons

It is a performance type position. It may not be the job for everyone. Sometimes people have to leave because they are over qualified and have to take a position making more money.

Advice to Management

Continue constant growth through training and development of every employee. Offer incentives to employees in the form of benefits (410K, profit sharing, etc.).

11. "My experience at PBP has been valuable & useful to all aspects of my life"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA

Pros

The overall office is fun & lighthearted even though it is a sales office. Although it is obviously a competitive environment we all continue to encourage each other even if we are not doing as well personally at the moment. Our branch manager really makes sure that not only work hard but we have fun doing it too. This is my second time working here & I really used the tools I learned here at my other sales job & was successful there as well. When I came back I was excited to continue to learn more & improve on the skills I had originally learned here. I am now looking forward to finding new ways to help the new sales reps entering here to also find success here as well. At all the sales offices I have worked at I never found the same great environment to feel like I was 100% supported like I have found here.

Cons

The biggest challenge working here is staying realistic in our sales goals here. Self-management is key here & keeping your expectations real even if you had 1 great day is the most important thing to remember. The way our schedule & breaks are done here you really have to make sure that you keep your time commitments by self managing your time. I try to remember that even if I am having a bad couple of calls keep plugging away & keep myself in my seat or it will never get better. Also never taking anything that is said during a sales call is also challenging as well. Remembering it is not necessarily you that they are upset with it might just be their day.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep improving on the things that are working here. We have great management who keep us well supported at all times. There is never a time when I feel alone in this job & I know that help just needs to be asked for if it's needed. It would be nice if the base pay was increased a little bit but I do understand that there is always opportunity to make more here by selling more. I do think that raising the sales base salery to a .08 was great not that I am ever that low but it does help take some of the pressure off of striking a even 1.0