Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated October 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The biggest pro of PBP is the flexibility of my work schedule, and the relaxed work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

1. "Call Center Customer Service & Sales Representative, Data Entry"

Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service & Sales Representative, Data Entry in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the hours, schedule and pay. I had a lot of positive training and feedback. I enjoyed helping the clients and their businesses. I learned how to create a great customer service, problem trouble shooting and marketing new strategies. I learned how to grow and become smarter as a sales and customer service representative and how I was grooming myself to become a part of a successful and thriving company and gaining lucrative experiences.

Cons

I loved my job and the family culture.

Advice to Management

Management was wonderful and helped me to grow with the company.

2. "Best Job Ive ever had!"

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Job, Great Managers, Great Atmosphere... loved everything about it.

Cons

Manager pay needs to be more for good employees to stay

3. "Great people, company and culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'm currently employed at the HQ in Malvern. The people I work with are great and management truly cares about their employees. I've been here for a while due to the growth opportunities and what I've mentioned above about the atmosphere. What’s best are three things, no politicking, no bureaucracy, lastly - work hard and you'll be rewarded! If you have good ideas, they'll be considered then implemented once tested and proven with positive results. That's a huge plus in my book because you're given the freedom to create your own path while contributing to the success of the company and increasing personal growth.

Cons

The cons I could list are so minor that they wouldn't even impact how much I truly enjoy working here. For example: I'm not a fan of the coffee (others are - Wawa is not my favorite) but it's free!

4. "PBP Rocks!"

Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Williamsport, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager Trainee in Williamsport, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent professional/personal development and training, tons of room for advancement opportunity within the company, great place to "climb the ladder" in management, the values of the company are amazing as well in the sense that we believe in giving back to the community

Cons

Sometimes the company gets a bad wrap, because of the nature of our business.

Advice to Management

Team work and clear, set expectations are a necessity.

5. "Excellent & Friendly"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work for the Catalyst Media Division of PBP and it is a friendly and warm environment to work at. The staff is super supportive. The hours are flexible and the management is easy to work with. The training program really helps you get a jump start on the right track to getting weekly bonuses. The office is comfortable and easy to access. Overall, this is a great company and this division especially is great to work for...I would recommend this job to anyone looking to work hard for what they want.

Cons

You must have superior hearing skills in order to work here...it can sometimes be loud but not in a negative way.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

6. "A fantastic place to work!"

Pros

Working for PBP has been one of the greatest work experiences i have had. The can-do, go-the-extra-mile and win-win attitudes are evident and the employees have a sense of camaraderie, cooperation and empowerment. Healthy competition keeps the job fun and the employees motivated.

Everyone communicates in a cards-on-the-table manner, solving difficulties in a positive way, and viewing feedback as an opportunity for growth. People enjoy coming to work and feel appreciated, acknowledged and rewarded. New employees are welcomed with open arms and all tools to be successful.

The managers and upper level bosses always make those who work underneath them feel like a critical part of their business. From one-on-one coaching to team building activities, there is an abundance of support in a very positive and easy going atmosphere.

Cons

The cons of working here are very few and far between they aren't even worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Representative
    Current Employee - Account Representative

Pros

The opportunities for advancement into managment

Cons

Sales can be difficult at times. You have to keep a positive attitude.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging your employees

"Positive Environment, Dedicated and Professional Colleagues"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

*Culture that encourages achievement
    *Colleagues are people of accomplishment who encourage and support one another
    *Opportunity to bring great ideas to fruition
    *Strong record of giving back to the community

Cons

*It is hurtful and aggravating to read the nasty criticisms and negative comments seen on the web.
    *some of these harangues seem unfair and misleading

"great people, family friendly enviornment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

The people are fantastic at PBP. They are supportive and helpful and all levels are approachable. It is a great place to work, either to gain experience as a younger worker or if you have the opportunity to come in as a more senior level contributor.

Cons

The salaries are on the low side and there is very little room to make large financial gains there. If you do your negotiation on the front end, you will be happy but dont think you will get merit raises for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Not to offer one size fits all benefits. There is a good package but, for example, a strong 401k is not the most important thing to someone just out of college.

"Everyone was so supportive and encouraging"

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I began work at PBP as an administrative assistant in the special events department. It wasn't my dream job, but the people were all very nice and the work was enjoyable. As I expressed interest and showed ability, my supervisor was happy to allow me to branch out into different types of tasks and areas of the company. Some of the wonderful things I got to do while working at PBP include assisting with the design of the line of greeting cards and developing a dance team with a few elementary school students that attend a school the PBP sponsors. I was also encouraged to apply for a position in the editorial department, even though it took me away from my admin duties. Everyone was happy to give me opportunities and support my goals from the beginning of my time there (I was even able to telecommute part time). It was difficult to leave such a welcoming and encouraging group of people when I had to take my leave due to relocating for my husband's work.

Cons

There were a few things that bothered me with the editorial work. One of them was having to do cold calls, mostly because I am not a terribly confident person on the phone. Another was the strictness of the format of how they write the articles for the newsletter, but that's what works for them and it's something that you just have to learn how to do.

Advice to Management

It would have been encouraged to research articles more before writing them.