Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated October 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The biggest pro of PBP is the flexibility of my work schedule, and the relaxed work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

1. "Working at PBP."

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

Good company with opportunities to help almost any company in the world through marketing.

Cons

Strong competition exists for what we do.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize your employees. It is appreciated.

"Senior management needs to listen"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working at pbp is the people. They're supportive, friendly, and always happy to help or just chat.

It's also extremely flexible in regards to when you come and go. But flexibility doesn't pay the rent.

Cons

The pay is awful. It's so far below industry standard it's insulting. Some of the mid-level managers have tried to go to bat for the rest of us, but the execs are extremely cheap.

And beware of the founder. He likes to make himself look good by donating to his pet charities, but that generosity disappears when it comes to his employees. Unless he's known you for decades, in which case you can get arrested for one of the most disgusting crimes imaginable and he'll still keep your job for you.

Advice to Management

You need to pay people a decent salary or they'll keep leaving. Listen to your workers -they're sick of your old boys club attitudes.

"Great start to a post-college career, not much room to grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

Taking a position at Progressive Business Publications after college is a very wise decision - You learn a lot about marketing and the corporate world. Management does encourage you to do well and the bonus structure is good if you're a high performer. It's a great resume builder and you can take advantage of many opportunities. They have corporate boxes in many Philadelphia sports arenas which are a great perk.

Cons

The salary is low (and although there's 'advancement' opportunities, it typically is minimal during review) and the benefits are weak compared to similar companies. The health insurance, PTO (vacation and sick leave) and snow day policy do not reward employees. The entire business model is based around hiring new college graduates, making money and then replacing the crop once they've moved on.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees and reward them appropriately with salary and benefits. Also, look for long-term solutions to grow the business.

"Positive about the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been able to work with some autonomy and grow the business segments within the realm of my responsibility. My role has not changed, but I have been able to better define the role and increase expectations and results. I enjoy those I work with, am challenged to by the fact there is more I can do to improve processes towards increasing revenue for the company and my division.

Cons

Low salary, but have been able to grow income through incentives.

"Taught myself how to recognize the different types of people, for better sales tactics."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The upbeat personalities of my coworkers helped me to open up and learn better people skills.

Cons

Calling people who do not want to be called and bothered, instead of using a referral system. Bothering small and large companies during their work times and not later in the day.

Advice to Management

More training programs, mock sales. Meetings based on the cycles we are in now and not the future ones. To do referrals and not random call tactics.

"Business to Business telemarketing"

Pros

Some of the people you talked to were great

Cons

A lot of the people you worked with, were not professional at all

Advice to Management

Screen applicants better

"Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

Cons

Very high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Advice to Management

Take more time to coach your reps.

May 8, 2014 – Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the... More

"Neutral"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits from day one; flexible for PTO. Laid back environment.

Cons

My position was in sales; the commission on the actual sale was ridiculously low and there was tax onto of that. What is fully expected a person was not laid out.

Advice to Management

Improve internal communication. Invest in employee motivatio

9. "Fair opportunity to prove value and provide meaningful contribution"

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

There is a sufficient opportunity provided for professional growth, there are impressive philanthropic efforts, and there is an effective use of performance metrics.

Cons

The benefits package is sub-par. There is not a designated individual to handle human resources-related questions and particularly questions related to health benefits coverage. This is a major shortcoming.

Advice to Management

Designate an assigned individual to communicate with employees regarding human resources issues and benefits-related issues.

Sep 3, 2014 – Business Team Manager

We have several people designated to help handle HR and benefits questions. If you are located in a branch, contact your branch manager. If you are located in our Malvern headquarters, you may ask... More

10. "Asst Editor"

Pros

learned a lot, esp how to write small and powerful

Cons

cold calling very busy people for article ideas. Felt like sales calls

Nov 13, 2015 – HR Manager

Staying connected with our subscribers is critical to the quality of our newsletters and programs. We understand that calling people can be uncomfortable at times, but listening to our customers has... More