Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated October 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The biggest pro of PBP is the flexibility of my work schedule, and the relaxed work environment (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay unless you are hitting bonus level (in 4 reviews)

• Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

1. "Asst Editor"

Pros

learned a lot, esp how to write small and powerful

Cons

cold calling very busy people for article ideas. Felt like sales calls

Nov 13, 2015 – HR Manager

Staying connected with our subscribers is critical to the quality of our newsletters and programs. We understand that calling people can be uncomfortable at times, but listening to our customers has... More

2. "TSR"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in DuBois, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in DuBois, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours and flexible scheduling

Cons

I was basically paid minimum wage. It is hard to make consistent sales enough to make rates for bonuses. Not impossible... but your campaigns often switched and if you had an easy time with one the next one would be aweful dragging down your rate for that pay period. As I said it wasn't impossible to make the higher rates, it does happen but it didn't seem consistent enough- so I could only count on minimum wage... or you cut your hours to make your SPH higher - thereby reducing overall hours worked - which didn't really always work either.

Nov 13, 2015 – HR Manager

We have begun to move away from starting new employees at minimum wage. We have recently reviewed our wage structure in our marketing call centers and have begun to raise it as a result.

3. "Im stuck"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Wyomissing, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Wyomissing, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of laughs at other people's complaints.

Cons

Lies email have to tell to client bur can't embellish to get the sale. Hypocritical bastards

Advice to Management

Take the heat for what you do. They always make it someone else fault. They pick a fall guy.

4. "Good company"

Current Employee - Editor in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Editor in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, organized company ... great place to learn and grow as a writer and editor.

Cons

They have too much turnover.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

5. "Sales"

Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service & Sales Representative, Data Entry in Wyomissing, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-flexible schedule
    -no weekends
    -helpful management
    -easy work if you apply yourself
    -2 week training program that is helpful if it is your first time doing something like this

Cons

-HIGH turnover
    -Must hit numbers if you get the boot even if you're just having an unlucky day or two
    -Pay could be better
    -Technology is outdated

Advice to Management

Nothing really...Keep working with people to train them to be the best they can be!

"PBP review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The biggest pro of PBP is the flexibility of my work schedule, and the relaxed work environment.

Cons

Salaries are awful and not equal.

Also we can't pay new people a decent salary so we only hire new graduates most of the time who take a long time to train and get up to speed.

Nothing ever changes unless the owner wants it to.

Technology wise we've been in the stone ages forever!

HR doesn't do much to make people respectful of their coworkers' work environment.

Good employees are given more and more work, and ok employees are allowed to coast just getting by doing the minimum and are never fired. The workload is not even.

Little opportunity for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Pay people for the actual work they do and the experience they have.

And compensate people for their dedication and loyalty -- and a wawa gift card doesn't even come close to showing your appreciation. It's insulting and laughable, especially for people who have worked there for more than 10 years.

Listen and act on issues when employees bring things to your attention.

Sep 11, 2017 – Director of HR

We appreciate this helpful feedback. PBP encourages this employee to communicate to HR what the issue is related to your feeling that we need to make people respectful of their coworkers' work... More

"great people, family friendly enviornment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

Pros

The people are fantastic at PBP. They are supportive and helpful and all levels are approachable. It is a great place to work, either to gain experience as a younger worker or if you have the opportunity to come in as a more senior level contributor.

Cons

The salaries are on the low side and there is very little room to make large financial gains there. If you do your negotiation on the front end, you will be happy but dont think you will get merit raises for a job well done.

Advice to Management

Not to offer one size fits all benefits. There is a good package but, for example, a strong 401k is not the most important thing to someone just out of college.

"Everyone was so supportive and encouraging"

Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Editor in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I began work at PBP as an administrative assistant in the special events department. It wasn't my dream job, but the people were all very nice and the work was enjoyable. As I expressed interest and showed ability, my supervisor was happy to allow me to branch out into different types of tasks and areas of the company. Some of the wonderful things I got to do while working at PBP include assisting with the design of the line of greeting cards and developing a dance team with a few elementary school students that attend a school the PBP sponsors. I was also encouraged to apply for a position in the editorial department, even though it took me away from my admin duties. Everyone was happy to give me opportunities and support my goals from the beginning of my time there (I was even able to telecommute part time). It was difficult to leave such a welcoming and encouraging group of people when I had to take my leave due to relocating for my husband's work.

Cons

There were a few things that bothered me with the editorial work. One of them was having to do cold calls, mostly because I am not a terribly confident person on the phone. Another was the strictness of the format of how they write the articles for the newsletter, but that's what works for them and it's something that you just have to learn how to do.

Advice to Management

It would have been encouraged to research articles more before writing them.

"My Job Is Rewarding"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My job is rewarding. I know the work I do is benefiting various types of individuals and therefore organizations all over the country. Everyday is different for me so it keeps it fresh. While every job has a sense of monotony, the nature of what we do – providing educational materials to business minded folk – provides enough variety to keep it interesting. I am well respected by my boss and I am never micro-managed. While I am guided, I have found that in this company, if you are organized and good with time management you will be treated as the adult you should be in a corporate setting. You are set up for success and led to make “executive decisions” which also makes for a better work environment. Holding employees accountable for their decisions, creativity, and behavior is essential to a successful company.

A lot of companies preach an “open door policy” but I must stress how true this is at PBP. I always feel I am “heard” when I have an idea, propose a process, or simply voice my opinion about how I perceive something happening in the office or company. That to me is the most important part of any job.

Cons

As with every job, of course it has its "cons". Our area in the building is very cold everyday, no matter the weather outside. We do have a space heater though. Also, who doesn’t want to make more money? I have had wage increases as I have moved up and into various positions with different responsibilities but of course I hope to get more responsibility eventually and therefore make more money.

"Good Experience"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great management training program. Opportunities are there for those who want it.

Cons

Some of the upper level managers are shortsighted.

Advice to Management

Be more open about the direction of the company and the long-term strategy.