Progressive Business Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated March 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible schedule and weekends off (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, Great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee turnover rate is horrific (in 4 reviews)

• so far so good not sure what else to say but i need 20 words (in 2 reviews)

"Overall positive experience; Lots of room to grow within the company."

Current Employee - Conference Producer in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Conference Producer in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are never micromanaged in your position. Managers/upper-level employees check in, but allow you to do your work without breathing down your neck. There is always room to take on more job responsibilities, or work on special projects after you've established yourself there.

Cons

Salary doesn't always match your job responsibilities. Often, people will either leave/get fired, and everyone is just expected to take on more responsibilities without any increase in salary.

Advice to Management

Increase the salaries/bonus pay (for the good employees) so they don't feel overworked/under paid.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

PBP focuses on playing to the strengths of their employees - recognizing that you're going to be better if you like what you're doing. It is a collegial atmosphere where people work hard but have fun. It's a particularly good company for new college graduates (or interns) as you are given real, meaningful work to do right away.

Cons

While PBP is a meritocracy and rewards employees who do well with more challenging work (which is good) there is not a lot of turnover so it can be difficult to move up.

"Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Reading, PA

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Company offers allot of flexibility in it's scheduling, great for single Moms, students, etc.

Cons

As in any Sales environment, the Company expects results.

Advice to Management

More Training for New Hires.

"Neutral"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits from day one; flexible for PTO. Laid back environment.

Cons

My position was in sales; the commission on the actual sale was ridiculously low and there was tax onto of that. What is fully expected a person was not laid out.

Advice to Management

Improve internal communication. Invest in employee motivatio

"Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

Cons

Very high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Advice to Management

Take more time to coach your reps.

Progressive Business Publications Response

May 8, 2014 – Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the ... More

"Horrible"

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None come to mind, none.

Cons

Being talked to like your a special needs child just because you can't get small businesses to agree to a free trial of their horrible newsletters.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid

Progressive Business Publications Response

May 8, 2014 – Business Team Manager

Our management team is focused on building a good company with good people. We rely on our culture and values as a part of our success. With that, we expect all managers to treat sales team members ... More

"You Get What You Give"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Malvern, PA

Pros

Schedule, Holidays Off, Performance-Based Pay, Growth/Development Potential, very little politics.

Cons

Equipment/Technology needs updated. Some physical work-space/office updates (cosmetic) also could be helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep The Management By Servitude Philosophy in mind, Throughout the entire organization, at all levels.

"Good Experience"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Williamsport, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great management training program. Opportunities are there for those who want it.

Cons

Some of the upper level managers are shortsighted.

Advice to Management

Be more open about the direction of the company and the long-term strategy.

"Taught myself how to recognize the different types of people, for better sales tactics."

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The upbeat personalities of my coworkers helped me to open up and learn better people skills.

Cons

Calling people who do not want to be called and bothered, instead of using a referral system. Bothering small and large companies during their work times and not later in the day.

Advice to Management

More training programs, mock sales. Meetings based on the cycles we are in now and not the future ones. To do referrals and not random call tactics.

"The reviews that sound too good to be true -- ARE too too good to be true"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management couldn't care less what employees do day-to-day, so feel free to come in for only a few hours a day, "work" from home, and wear your pajamas into the office. No one will notice or care.

Cons

Revenue has dropped to a fraction of what it was just a few years ago, and upper management is desperately trying to find ANYTHING that will make a few bucks. Whether it's legal or ethical is not part of their concern.

In my time there, I uncovered cases of plagiarism and was aware of several cases of sexual harassment -- none of which upper management was willing to deal with. Instead, they got rid of the "complainers" rather than address the illegal activities their own employees were engaging in.

They're shutting down products left and right which led to multiple layoffs and/or not
    hiring replacements for the MANY people who have left in the past two years.

A job here is probably better than the unemployment office -- but not by much. Staying here too long will destroy your career -- and your soul.

Advice to Management

Stop having the owner's son write the glowing reviews on this and similar sites. They're so obvious, it's laughable.