Progressive Insurance Claims Customer Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance President and Chief Executive Officer Tricia Griffith
Tricia Griffith
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • Talks a lot about work-life balance but puts it on the employees to find it themselves (in 112 reviews)

• The only con I see is the lack of call center locations (in 64 reviews)

1. "Foot in the door position"

Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Phone Representative in Wickliffe, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Environment, pay, benefits, flexible hours, all inbound calls, supervisors work with you and encourage you to move up within the company, end of the year profit share, company discounts, 401k matching

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say. People beside you could be making more per hours but that is consistent with other companitss.

"A bad place to be unless you're in the right department"

Former Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any. There was no support, and if anyone was having any trouble then they'd have meetings and any requests for the authority to complete duties would be ignored.

Cons

Schedules are a nightmare, too many customers to be able to serve anyone well, metrics that were written by an analytics department that has no knowledge of actual practices or customer service, and management doesn't care. If you miss one phone call then you're out, and they try to fire everyone before bonus season that isn't in advertising or analytics. One cannot help but feel bad for customers who are clearly taken advantage of when the company is called on to complete its side of the agreement.
    Plus, the Flo cult is really frightening.

Advice to Management

Hire more CCU representatives, get rid of the high-pressure sales tactics for the network shops and service centers, and bring back the local inspectors. The cost-cutting is bad for customers and makes everyone angry. Also, either expand the initial investigation or get rid of the MMR investigations entirely.

"CCU Adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Customer Service Adjuster in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Customer Service Adjuster in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work environment is friendly and casual
    - An excellent training program (Academy)
    - Management is very open-door
    - Frequent opportunities for advancement or lateral moves into different departments
    - Competitive pay with pretty large end-of-year bonuses
    - Decent benefits
    - 6 or 8 week short-term disability pay for childbirth (at a percentage of salary depending on tenure)
    - On-site café
    - On-site gym
    - On-site clinic
    - On-site chair massages
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    I genuinely enjoyed my time at Progressive because of these reasons and more. I have always felt supported by my superiors and motivated to give this job my all because I know the company treats their employees equitably. The dress code is extremely casual and the environment is laid back for the most part. Expectations are clearly communicated and performance is now evaluated based on behaviors rather than strictly numbers or metrics. The gainshare (profit sharing) is a huge perk - for 2015, I received over 10% of my salary as a bonus!

Cons

- Claims workload can be difficult to manage at peak times
    - Work-life balance is not what it should be
    - Split schedules REQUIRED for un-tenured adjusters
    - Even after becoming tenured, it is difficult to obtain a non-split schedule
    - The attendance policy needs reworking
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    The Centralized Claims Organization falls short in its promise of a work-life balance. While the workload can be difficult to manage at times, this is not really what I'm talking about (though as a newer rep, I had to consistently clock in overtime hours to keep up or get caught up). Split schedules are a requirement when you sign on as a call center adjuster with Progressive, but management makes it seem as though eventually, you will be able to request a more traditional schedule. I have not found this to be the case and I have worked in this organization for two years. In fact, one of my coworkers recently celebrated her five-year anniversary with Progressive and only JUST got weekends off, the great white whale of a CCU rep. Even applying to work one weekend day and one weekday off in a row (i.e. having Friday and Saturday off and working Sunday or Sunday and Monday off and working Saturday) is denied for some mysterious "business need" that is never elaborated on.

Additionally, the attendance policy needs to be tweaked slightly. While now there is a sliding schedule that allows for tardiness to be made up for (as long as you are clocked in within 30 minutes of your shift start), a late arrival or early quit is equal to an unexpected absence. If you are sick, or if you have something suddenly come up and you are not pre-approved for time off well in advance (and time off is difficult to obtain on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays), you can quickly find yourself barred from advancement opportunities until infractions begin dropping off ONE YEAR LATER. If you have a particularly rough go of it with illness or family issues or anything that has you unexpectedly late, leaving early, or being absent entirely, there is not much you can do but wait out the marks against your record. It's disheartening at best and crushing at worst, especially if you're a capable and high-performing candidate whose career aspirations are put on hold because of unforeseen circumstances.

Advice to Management

Live up to your promise of a work-life balance. This job is demanding, and long-term split scheduling becomes taxing on a person. I guarantee that if the majority of your employees had two days off in a row, they would return to work more refreshed and more ready to tackle the sometimes daunting workload, and productivity would increase. The split schedule and constant denials of a schedule change after two years is what finally drove me to look for work outside of Progressive. I was a dedicated and motivated employee until the exhaustion finally took over and I found something elsewhere with weekends off and higher pay.

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Claims Contingency in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customer centric business devoted to client satisfaction via the Golden Rule

Cons

Little-to--no career path. You have to work as a phone rep for years before you can be considered for even a supervisory position, low pay, and you have to allow customers to talk to you any way they want. You cannot escalate a call unless the customer specifically asks to speak to a supervisor.

Advice to Management

Build career paths for your employees and don't put customer satisfaction so far above your staff that they consistently have to sit and listen to customers cuss at them and treat them rudely all day, everyday. If you apply this strategy, you may not experience near as much turnover.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative/Agent/Claims Processor in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance (More than 8 years)

Pros

Has a great gain share program.

Cons

Must work holidays for several years.

"Claims Customer Service"

Former Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time

Pros

Coworkers are nice, friendly, and laid back. They try to do things to keep motivation up.

Cons

Customers are AWFUL! A lot of procedures mean your hands are tied when trying to help a customer. Which means the customers are nothing but ugly to you when you can't help them.

Advice to Management

The job is hard enough dealing with the customer. Quit making performance measures and procedures harder on employees.

"A Good Place for a Solid Job"

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good pay for entry-level position
    -Quality Training
    -Flexible Schedule
    -Good benefits
    -End of year bonus
    -Opportunities to move around

Cons

-Working in a call center can be monotonous
    -Need to request time off fairly far in advance for major holidays even if you have earned time off
    -Increase in requirements of job over time with no corresponding increase in pay

"Poor Everything"

Former Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Florissant, MO
    Former Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Florissant, MO

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits once your able to use them. Other than that not a whole lot.

Cons

The pay is on the low end for the work required. Everyone tells you to do well and get out of the department it's impossible when the training is poor and they nit pick at little things. These little things could impact your end of year review causing you not to get a pay raise. The 10% differential literally comes out to be 5 bucks extra to work on the weekend it's a slap in the face to see it on your check that way. Customers are angry with you because of their claims representatives actions that have nothing to do with you. But because we're the pee ons we take the heat for them. People do your research there are better paying companies with better working hours. Definitely not worth the aggravation.

Advice to Management

Hold other departments accountable for their actions!!

"Great Company, but workplace environment is changing for the worse"

Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CLRU has the best schedule flexibility period
    The gainshare is an added bonus!!
    Campus 1 is very easy to get to.

Pay is pretty good considering I came in a few yrs back and new hires are starting lower than I did.

Cons

Seems like the benefits are getting cut more and more each year. Also there has been a decline in the employee appreciation, whether in raffles/contests, the appreciation parties and just general messages of encouragement. Yet we can all see the stock price is going up and the company is gaining more market share.

"Artificial positive attitude"

Current Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is beautiful; artwork everywhere and it feels like encouraging creativity.

Cons

No available time off, schedules are always bad and unethical, and it seems like their metrics are designed to be able to give them ability to fire people at will instead of actively measuring progress. They also effectively mandate that overtime be used but hurt your statistics if you work through lunch, to get home earlier.
    In addition, it's impossible to arrange a day off unless you schedule more than six months ahead, so if you become ill then they're already planning to fire you.
    They're also obsessed with their investment in service centers, which drastically lengthens the repair process and infuriates the customers, which leads to an even worse position.
    Plus, they're much below the average pay for the position.

Advice to Management

You are not progressive, and the service centers are a waste. In addition, the horrible scheduling seriously injures peoples' ability to schedule their lives.