Progressive Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated January 16, 2018

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very flexible attendance policy which helps to promote work-life balance (in 131 reviews)

• Work from home- If thats your thing, I tried it but went back to office (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could use some work (in 132 reviews)

• Nothing bad to say about this call center (in 73 reviews)

"Claims Generalist Associate"

Pros

The biggest benefit is the salary, and gain share bonus. The company is big on making money for gain-share. Medical benefits are alright. They also pay for a two week training in either Cleveland, OH or Phoenix, AZ

Cons

Unrealistic expectation, assigned 12 new claims a day. Take inbound calls from callers assigned to others file owners, help with the door when people arrive to sign their titles over. Limited support and lack of internal coaching and feedback. Plan on working 50 or more hours per week in effort to stay caught up. Some people work 7 days a week. Their is an on going abuse of exempt status in effort to get claims assigned. Few people stay in this position longer then six months.

Advice to Management

Listen and apply feedback. Make goals that are obtainable and have realistic expectations.

2. "Lack of Respect"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Their salary and benefit package is consistent with the industry averages. However, if you include the gain share, their salary may be a little above average.

Cons

Management does not respect their direct reports. Management treat employees and consistently act as all wisdom and knowledge originates with them. It is not open to any outside ideas or ways to handle the resolution of claims. It is unwilling to invest in the future growth and development of their employees. Company has serious issue with age discrimination.

Advice to Management

Treat the employees with respect and dignity. Stop discriminating against older employees.

3. "Sales Representative"

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good starter job but don't plan on staying for a career

Cons

Terrible age discrimination practices
    Subjective evaluations to attain their objective to fire you.

Advice to Management

Be aware! Karma will catch up. Remember this as you destroy someone's life.

4. "Pretty Good....Until It’s Not"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverview, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good and the benefits are decent as well. There are visible attempts to to raise morale and the training is paid and actually useful. Most of the people are happy and friendly. They have an on-site gym and cafeteria and pretty cool flexible scheduling options

Cons

The parking lot is horrible. 19 speed bumps and 3 septuagenarian security guards yet constant drug use.

There are wasps everywhere and the smell from the garbage outback sometimes permeates the entire campus.

Favoritism is worse than any other employer I have ever been at, hands down.

Their “no retaliation” and “open door” policies are complete fabrications. The first time I met my sup, he told our team how much he hated people in general. He eventually focused on me and started saying abusive things on a regular basis, wouldn’t answer anything I asked him, and started talking about how he was a “sociopath” with “no feelings,” and then sitting behind me and giggling “are you nervous?” He was caught fabricating details of my calls and openly mocked me in front of my peers.

When I tried to contact HR, they ignored me for weeks. When they finally responded, they moved me to another team where the harassment continued unabated. I was treated like a leper for the remainder of my time there and it eventually got so bad I had to leave mid shift. I simply couldn’t take it anymore.

Advice to Management

Stop favoring dangerous lunatics

"Negative enforcement only"

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Bohemia, NY
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Bohemia, NY

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people. A break room. Spacious cubicle. Newer building. Free pens. Work from home after 6months. That’s about it

Cons

No rules and no training. No positive enforcement. Management is unprofessional and treats reps like bottom feeders. Hammered about closures but it’s not even a goal. TERRIBLE HEALTH INSURANCE $$$

Advice to Management

Stop hammering for closures when it’s not a goal and you don’t let examiners close anything. Also some training may help meet file review criterias since there’s NO TRAINING and no module on file audits (and don’t be ridiculous about banning us from using the word AUDIT). Your health insurance is a financial burden to all your employees. Having contests or free pizza to reward your reps when they perform well would be nice. To be told you’re already paid to do your job when mandated to close 20 features is rude. Maybe buying your employees lunch instead of dropping your leftovers from a meeting in the breakroom like we’re dogs would also boost morale. Also you CAN call me in your office to tell me I’m doing a good job. Progressive’s modo: if you aren’t spoken to you’re doing a good job. No positive reinforcement whatsoever. Not a pat on the back nor a free mug. Also please set rules I am tired of hearing everyones ringers all day and their personal calls at their desk. It’s not professional. Place in an awful workplace.

"Claims Generalist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fargo, ND

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time

Pros

There is not 1 pro working for this company.

Cons

Pays horrible for what this job entails. However, the low pay is not a huge problem because you will be working overtime so regularily that you wont have the time to spend money on any extra or fun stuff. Management will make you think they are your biggest supporter and that they want the best for you... Dont fall for it. They value the american dollar much more than anything you can offer them. Horrible company and sad they get away with all the stuff they do! No appreciation for their customers who are paying the premium or their employees who are bringing in the profit. Look elsewhere if your looking for a job in the insurance industry.

Advice to Management

Where do I start???

"Great Company, poor local management"

Former Employee - Managed Repair Representative in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Managed Repair Representative in Reno, NV

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great starting salaries, great benefits, great 401k.

I was hired on at $52,000 with zero insurance experience, handed keys to a 2017 Ford Escape, a new laptop and new cell phone on day one.... Sounds amazing, right? Then you go to training. Your first 8-12 weeks with the company you will be in “training”. This is in one of 4 places, Cleveland, Austin, Tampa or Tempe AZ. You’re there a min or two weeks straight usually and as much as 6 weeks depending on your local manager. The training staff of Progressive truly cares and enjoys their jobs, and that shows. Imagine having to onboard upwards of 200+ new employees every two weeks, most of whom are in their early 20’s. Yikes. While at “training” you’re basically given the run of whatever city you’re in (Cleveland for me). You’re treated pretty darn good, given tours of the main campus, you meet the CEO, and are 100% “sold” on the company. You’re given a rental car, a cash card with $450 on it and set free after 5pm daily. It’s amazing some of these kids don’t die during the course of training. My training in Cleveland was 100% positive, and I graduated in both of my classes in the top 2%, and seemed destined for a long career with Pro. Keep in mind I have had only 3 jobs in my life (40y.o.) and thought I would retire from Progressive. I LOVED this company until I got back to my local city and was under local management.

See cons...

Cons

Workload, local/regional management.

I loved everything about this company until I was put under local management. My manager was completely new to the position, ignorant to what employees needed, stubborned and downright hateful when asked questions or challenged in ANY way. God forbid someone 10+ years older have an opinion.... Progressive LOVES 20 something’s that haven’t developed an opinion of the world, and that was all of my coworkers. Do not take this job if you’re headstrong and have an opinion. You will be continually stifled and ridiculed until you quit. And this is coming from someone in retail management for 20 years... They preach Work/Life balance, but not a day passed that I wasn’t making calls or dealing with estimates WAY past the 5pm hour, and many many times on my “weekends”. If I decided I wanted to enjoy my “weekend” and pushed off “work” on a Saturday, I would be buried on the following Monday with little chance to get though the workload I had. After 4 months of this hell, I literally just didn’t show up one Monday. Covertly I dropped off all my Progressive related gear, car, laptop, phone etc at the local office and just quit. It was THAT bad. I’m 40. I’ve NEVER quit a company not even at 16 years old, without at least two weeks notice, but when you are just bullied and treated like garbage by your direct boss, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Advice to Management

This is a company with fantastic everything except local and regional management. Depending on your manager you could LOVE your job (I have friends from training in other states that do) or if your older, more mature and have an opinion, you may HATE everything about your job. It’s literally that simple.

"Internet Service Rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are somewhat okay. Could be better.

Cons

The pay is not great based on tenure and knowledge.
    No room for growth for minorities.
    Not willing to train based on employees tenure and loyalty.
    They micromanage everything and everybody!

Advice to Management

Don't take it personally. Employees evaluation and disciplinary actions are not always based on skill but on how a manager personally feels. Not good!

"Horrible Work Environment"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Days off, Co-workers at non management level.

Cons

Vile management. Micro-Managed. Dishonest company with no employee loyalty.

Advice to Management

Learn to appreciate your people. You will not make it in 21st century unless this company changes its management style and experience.

"Perfect employer if you enjoy being treated poorly."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Riverview, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is relatively easy and they do provide health benefits.

Cons

Inexperienced, careless management with poor communication skills. MICROMANAGING to the max, and a lot of mistakes and issues for a company that is as big as it is. Seriously concerning considering that they are supposed to be protecting thousands of people with insurance policies when they can't even keep it together. Poor treatment of employees. Rest assured you are only a disposable number.

Advice to Management

Promote managers who actually have the skills to to a good job, know how to work with people, and have organizational and communication skills.

Showing 169 of 1,960 reviews