Progressive Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated June 21, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Amazing schedule flexability and work/life balance (in 119 reviews)

• Flexible scheduling and work from home (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a lot about work-life balance but puts it on the employees to find it themselves (in 117 reviews)

• The only con I see is the lack of call center locations (in 65 reviews)

"Some positives, mostly negatives - Claims Representative"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

End of year bonus (but they could just pay us adequately and you only get this if you are still working there on Dec 1st of that year). Some flexibility in scheduling - used to be way better. You usually have to start with at least one weekend day and they tend to do nonconsecutive days off. But in my department, you can submit for a schedule change within 6 months. If call volume allows, you can change your schedule. They don't do you any favors. If you are extremely lucky, you will submit for a m-f schedule at the right time! If we are slow, you can submit for a "green alert" and they will maaaaaaybe let you leave early. You can choose to use your vacation hours for the time you leave early or you can just not pay yourself for those hours. Its hard to get a day off around holidays and weekends are hard to get off too. But otherwise, its not too bad.

They want to promote people within the company, but only to other terrible on the phone positions. The training positions are the most coveted and next are the supervisor positions. They are rarely available and you will have lots of competition. They have started promoting work from home because they ran out of space. Everything they do, they pretend its of their employees but really its for their own benefit.

The benefits aren't bad. You will pay about $180 a month for health insurance. They just increased the deductible to $600. Its with Aetna. If you go in network, health providers have a discounted rate for Aetna, but you will basically pay the entire cost of the service until you reach your ded. Afterwards, you will pay a 20% copay.

They have a 6% match on a 401K. If you save up 5,000 in your 401K, when you eventually quit from extreme burnout, you can leave it in there! Obviously no more matching when you no longer work there.

They have discounts for different companies like rental companies, etc. Have yet to use any of these. You also get $50 for every 6 months if you have Progressive Insurance. When you donate thru their giving website, Progressive will match your donation. So that's nice!

They will hire without a college degree.

They somehow get everyone to drink the koolaide and believe that Progressive is one of the best places to work in Austin.

Cons

Totally corporate atmosphere. Every minute is accounted for. There were years when they were severely under staffed and I would take calls for 7.5 hours a day (this is when i was full time). You only get a 15 minute break if you work 4 hours, which is basically the time it takes to use the bathroom in those 4 hours. Call volume has slowed down recently, but you are lucky if you get 2 minutes between calls. If you go over your break time or lunch time, your stats will show it. They also want your calls to be like 6-9 minutes while still giving excellent customer service. hahaha. No. That's how customer service works. The higher ups are putting lots of pressure on the supervisors so they are putting lots of pressure on their reps.

They make you start all of your systems before you shift starts so that you can log in and start taking calls on the dot, or it will hurt your stats. As an hourly employee, I would think this is illegal.

You will be the public's punching bag. They don't think you are smart enough to know when it is ok to hang up on someone (even if they are screaming expletives at you) so they tell you that if you hang up anyone they will immediately fire you.

If you go off script, like you're a human and not a robot, you have to fight for your way of doing things.

They have "pilot programs" where they don't pay you more because its just a "pilot" but you have more work. They try to twist things and make it seem like Austin never gets pilot programs (we do) and how honored we should be.

There were some years that I only got like a .19 raise but on average for the time I've been here, its been a $1 raise.

Even if you like people and customer service, you will burn out pretty soon. If you aren't sure what to do with your career, I would advise working as an administrative assistant for similar pay and health insurance. Less stress. Less yelling. Less corporate bs.

Also, even if a customer is mentioning how worried they are that their car is non drivable and you see that they have rental on their policy, you aren't suppose to let them know because they should "already know what's on their policy". I find this to be shoddy business practices.

The higher ups are the higher ups because they have been with Progressive for something like 20-30 years. Not because they are necessarily good at their jobs.

Advice to Management

Bah! You guys are too far brainwashed for anything I say to affect you.

2. "Personal Lines Producer"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Riverview, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great health care, nice corporate campus with decent gym and cafeteria, easy to transition to work from home-softeware crashes a lot in the office and then a ton for work from home folks-management seems to think that sales people lie about their terrible software. If you can be a robot you will do well here, if you are human leave!

Cons

There is an attitude among most supervisors..the Riverview campus seem to think you are guilty until proven innocent...they are suspicious of salespeople and there is a very apparent we are management and you are not attitude-do not ever get sick without planning it first-most ridiculous attendance policy I have ever heard of-worse than bootcamp! Management at upper levels seem great but lower levels are a whole different story. ATTITUDE!

Advice to Management

Truly support your sales team-they pay your salary-stop treating them like the bottom of the barrel, they are good people just trying to do their job with terrible tools. Also stop sending out false advertising telling customers they caan pay $50 a month for car insurance-this is a one in a million policy only!

"TERRIBLE"

Former Employee - Field Appraiser in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Field Appraiser in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

you will need to work late everyday

Cons

they give you vacation time but you can't use it because no one will be able to cover for you.

Advice to Management

take a look at the real world

"Mentally abusive company"

Current Employee - Subrogation in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Subrogation in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of really great people work there and you are encouraged to have personal relationships with your peers which makes it easier to go to work. fitness centers, cafeterias, 401k match.

Cons

Most people end up on anxiety or depression meds eventually. Management is mentally abusive. The amount of nepotism going on is alarming!

Advice to Management

Do some soul searching and think about how you are treating your employees.

"Claims adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many best I can say are good benefits that's all I can say. Wish there were more and need to have 20 words in the category

Cons

Brutal work load, very weak low level managers, favoritism is a huge problem. Need 12 hours a day to do the work properly and not paid overtime.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to look at low level managements training or there lack of.

"Beware of Progressive"

Former Employee - Claims Supervisor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Supervisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good health and PTO benefits.

Cons

No respect. The workload is unbearable and they expect new reps to work and unmanageable amount of claims with little to no training. Lots of favoritism and back stabbing. There are some really good leaders, but also some that will stab you in the back. All it takes is one thing to get a target on your back and then they start looking for creative ways to terminate you. Look out for yourself. When they suspect you of doing something they do a half thorough investigation and then just make whatever decision they want.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Dismantle the environment of fear of Sr. Leadership. If you say your an open door company then be that. Stop assuming every employee has some opportunities and actually trust people with what you pay them for.

"****PLEASE TAKE THIS ADVICE-DO NOT APPLY TO WORK HERE**"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Arlington, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None that you can not get more of from another company.

Cons

The company culture is horrid. It is a dog eat dog mentality. I had worked here for 12 years on both the corporate and branch level. The dishonesty from management is rampant on all levels. You will be used and abused and plan on working 60-80 hours per week. You will have no support from your management team. Corporate plays like they are the good guy but the unlawful directives passed down for the branch level employees to follow come straight from the top. You have managers who try to cover their butts and will throw you under the bus and lie in a heartbeat. Ask around how long employees have worked here. You will see the majority are new because the system that Progressive has developed brings you in cheap, trains you and then starts applying pressure and unrealistic goals to push you out. The company saves millions by hiring recent college grads who will not use insurance and who get the minimum vacation time. It is all in their formula. Co-workers are great at claims level but they are pushed out so fast it is constant turnover. I have worked other large corporations and trust me this is the most vile environment of them all. I am so thankful to be out of this company and have obtained the same job at a competitor making 25,000 more annually. Human resources is only there to protect the company, not for the employee. Progressive has been sued so many times for their unlawful behaviors and will go to any length to try and hide what they have done. Please trust me when on this, this company sucks. I AM SO GLAD TO BE FREE FROM PROGRESSIVE.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage and back your people.

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service Representative in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Call Center Customer Service Representative in Riverview, FL

Pros

Brand recognition. Schedule. Pay. Work from home is awesome but hard to get approved for it.

Cons

No diversity. Impossible to grow move up. No sick time.hiring process way too long. Trainers are outdated.

Advice to Management

You give supervisors too much control

"Claims"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Progressive Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

Training provided and is ongoing. Wiling to train individuals without any prior claims knowledge. The company takes care of all travel expenses and invests in employee initially.

Cons

HR only looks out for management. Promotions are largely based on popularity and many employees are overlooked. As an employee for almost a decade, there were several times management harassed and demeaned employees, HR and upper management did not take appropriate actions against offending managers. This created an environment of fear and rage for many employees. I endured sexually demeaning statements with one of my managers. The explicit comments were ignored and that manager keeps getting promoted.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and stop gossiping about employees. Please hold management accountable for their actions. Take reports of abuse from employees seriously, especially when thee are multiple reports.

10. "It's a sweat shop. RUN from this co."

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Riverview, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

On-site clinic. That's about it. Progressive sucks..

Cons

They will work you to death. Not worth it. New regime ruined it.

Advice to Management

Quit being so focused in money only and quit raising policy prices for no reason..making employees have to deal w irate customers. So you can keep taking in the big bucks.

Showing 154 of 1,764 reviews