Progressive Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 20, 2017
1,674 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,674 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Amazing schedule flexability and work/life balance (in 116 reviews)

• Flexible scheduling and work from home (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a lot about work-life balance but puts it on the employees to find it themselves (in 114 reviews)

• The only con I see is the lack of call center locations (in 65 reviews)

"Nowhere near as great as it seems in the beginning"

Former Employee - Policy Service Representative in Mayfield, OH
    Former Employee - Policy Service Representative in Mayfield, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Likeable CEO
    -Great health & 401K benefits
    -Beautiful Facilities
    -Most tenured employees reflect the admirable core values of the company
    -Opportunities for growth (if you can do your time in the absolute MISERY that is working in a call center)

Cons

-High burnout rate (being on the phones all day every day is miserable, not the company's fault but there's no other way to put it.)
    -Guideline software that is out-of-date and not user-friendly at all, especially for a billion dollar company
    -Way too heavy of an emphasis on cross-selling for service consultants and not as much emphasis on serving the customer's actual needs (I understand making offers, but if a customer says no, I shouldn't be expected to wrestle with them)
    -Don't always pay new hires adequately. What I mean by that is I was one of two people in my new hire class of 20 who came to Progressive already having earned my Bachelor's degree as well as 2 solid years of call center experience with another company. With the exception of one other person in the class, everyone else had a lesser level of completed education than me. That being said, I was paid the bare minimum for my position to start. Of course people talk, and several of my less-educated colleagues were making as much as $2 more per hour than I was for the exact same job starting at the exact same time. I worked my butt off to graduate college and have student loans to pay back as a result of pursuing my education, so that made zero sense to me and I thought it was really unfair.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people as service consultants and then use sales-based metrics to evaluate their performance. There's another department for that... it's called sales.

"IT"

Current Employee - IT Process Analyst Lead in Mayfield, OH
    Current Employee - IT Process Analyst Lead in Mayfield, OH

Pros

Gainshare, on site Starbucks, on site fitness center, leadership, growth of the company, individual growth opportunities, flexible work arrangements, parking garage at some locations is great for Cleveland winters!

Cons

There are no real cons. Recommend folks take their job seriously and you will succeed. So many opportunities to learn.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

3. "PIP LIFE"

Current Employee - Medical Claims Adjuster in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Claims Adjuster in Maitland, FL

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gainshare, job security, community,good pay, growing company

Cons

long hours, lots of job duties, work overload, work life balance

Advice to Management

flex,flex, flex if you are going to require so much of an employees time be flexible in working arrangements.

5. "Subrogation Department"

Former Employee - Litigation Specialist in Mayfield, OH
    Former Employee - Litigation Specialist in Mayfield, OH

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people throughout the department. Professional yet personable. Management did their best to accommodate all employees needs while driving company objectives.

Cons

The usual office 9-5 job cons.

6. "Wonderful Atmosphere with Great Management"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome Supervisors, Laid back and Friendly Atmosphere

Cons

Vacation/Sick days combined, Less Flexibility for Leave.

Advice to Management

More flexible leave options and vacation days

7. "Wonderful but difficult"

Current Employee - Service Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, positive attitudes all around, pay, room for growth, every single level of management treats you as they want to be treated, people are not bossy and you can truly get many opportunities to talk to all levels of management in a non intimidating manner

Cons

Very complex job roll where you can encounter multiple new situations within an hour or a day, which leaves for high stress in some instances, however everything that can be rationally done to offset that stress is implemented through the processes they have setup for breaks and options to try new things.

Advice to Management

I have none.

"Best place to work when Peter Lewis was CEO"

Former Employee - Sales and Service in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Sales and Service in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, schedule flexibility, on site health services, on site gym, cafeteria, offers health insurance to part time employees.

Cons

No longer employee focused, bottom line is profit. Company metrics have changed to a heavily numbers-driven workplace. Management is often forced to lie to employees about changes.

Advice to Management

I started at Progressive in 1998, and I loved the job, the company, the pay. Employees seemed to be the priority years 1998-2001. After Peter Lewis left as CEO, the culture changed dramatically. Benefits decreased, raises became tips, and the general culture became numbers-driven. People were hard working and paid well, and the atmosphere was fun. Glenn Renwick was a decent CEO, but he started the move from focusing on employees to profit. With the changeover to Tricia Griffiths as CEO, the best advice is to take stock in Progressive, but not work there.

"Potential to be great to work for, but inconsistent execution"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverview, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Riverview, FL

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, potential for bonuses, company tries to improve culture.

Cons

Inconsistent execution of feedback, constant changes in management, departments not held accountable for errors, no real employee advocacy. Departments duties so divided that it's hard to have issues solved because departments aren't consistently in communication.

Advice to Management

Have more frequent manager surveys, and please do more to ensure they are anonymous - several times, I have either directly had a manager express that they tend to know and discuss who feedback is from, or overheard managers discussing it.

There are some amazing managers at Progressive, and I do understand that switching managers around can be of great benefit to employees as they get to learn from different management styles - but in a less than six month period, I had my manager change 4 times. It is very difficult to get sometimes conflicting feedback, begin working on something, only to have a different manager change it all over again. This has been nerve-racking for nearly every employee I encountered, from top performers to people struggling - their jobs depend on stats, so consistency in management approaches to interpreting the stats and what should be done to reach/maintain/improve them is vital to employee satisfaction and healthy management of stress levels.

10. "Call center Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

401k match program, gain sharing at the end of the year. Competitive salary considering the job position.

Cons

Promotion is nearly non-existent unless you have worked at the company for years. Moving to other departments not customer service related, for instance moving to IT, are nearly impossible. Company contracted out for IT support positions.

11. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Progressive Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual environment, can wear any attire

Cons

It's a cubicle job after all

Advice to Management

Better remote management

Showing 1,674 of 1,705 reviews