Project Renewal Reviews | Glassdoor

Mitchell Netburn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Case Manager"

Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at Project Renewal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a great deal of autonomy in this specific role. There is room to be creative in assisting the clients and with developing recreational activities . If you have a good team (good coworkers and a good supervisor) it can be a great experience. There is usually a summer and winter bonus provided to staff on board (who worked for a certain period of time). There is a tuition reimbursement program and scholarship program offered to employees in this role (if you meet the qualifications). The amount of vacation, sick and personal days are great. The health insurance is great. The vision and dental plans are good.

Cons

The pay is low and there are no annual raises. There is a high turnover rate and programs are constantly understaffed and sometime poorly run. Because of this, staff can become easily overwhelmed and burned out. Clients become frustrated. The demands and expectations from senior staff are high however there is a lack of support, staff and resources to meet these demands. Staff who assert themselves (to express concerns or suggest ideas) are viewed as complainers or insubordinate.

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees and provide them more practical and relevant incentives, support and resources to improve morale and decrease the turnover rate.

2. "RA"

Former Employee - Residential Aide in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Residential Aide in New York, NY

I worked at Project Renewal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience.
    Looks great on your resume.
    You learn a lot of people skills.

Cons

Too much Gossip.
    Co - Workers are obsessed with each other.
    Hard for people to let go.
    Pay is way too small for the amount of duties.

Advice to Management

Stop being so freaking stuck up.

3. "Team Leader"

Pros

Some autonomy, great experience, good benefits and PTO

Cons

Terrible upper mgmt, very little support, low pay

Advice to Management

Want qualified individuals who have a hx of working with these populations to lead

"Amazing mission, but major gap between front line staff and executives"

I worked at Project Renewal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PRI has such a wide network of programs and services and it is a real force in homeless services in the NYC area. Mr. Netburn was an amazing addition to the executive team and has shown real purpose in his hiring of new managers and as the CEO. The mission is clear and well communicated throughout the agency.

Cons

If you're not in housing you can feel a bit like one of the forgotten stepchildren in terms of attention, support and access to resources. While new management hired under Mr. Netburn have all proven to be innovative and strong, the old guard is just that. They are not open to change, they don't appreciate the front line staff, and they can be incredibly negative about the population and the agency's ability to effect change. Also, the pay gap between frontline staff and management is absolutely ridiculous. Staff are not earning livable wages but assisting clients to move toward independent housing.

Advice to Management

Wages need to be seriously reconsidered and management needs more of a shake up to get rid of some of the old guard. Also, it's time for some of management to look like the people being supervised - there are hardly any people of color up top in an agency that employs majority people of color in lower than standard wage positions.

5. "Project Renewal is a rewarding non-profit program."

Current Employee - Team Leader in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Project Renewal full-time

Pros

I enjoy working with the staff. The CEO iswonderful. It's wonderful to have a CEO to admire your work. This is an experience that very little agencies offer.

Most of all, the clients make the job what it is. It's great to see the clients shine and overcome their barriers.

Cons

Sometimes the staff can be challenging. Case managers can be paid more. Depending on location, sometimes space can be limited.

Advice to Management

Keeping a positive attitude and a rewarding personality is beneficial. Giving workers the encouragement to strive and become better is needed.

"Content to Continue to Fail"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Project Renewal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only redeeming qualities I'd heard were that the healthcare was excellent, but as a temp I was unable to partake in that system.

Cons

I worked as a temp in two different corporate departments for two extended periods of time and can safely say that this place is firmly committed to only running well enough to not be litigated against. The lack of updates I saw in my departments (property management and in human resources) were pretty astounding. Many of the tasks I was hired in to do were completely unnecessary and dated, and the ones that were necessary were because of the shortcomings of their full-time staff. It's not surprising to have seen a significant majority of my colleagues leave within the year that I was there. Every attempt I made to improve systems in the office was met with ridicule from my supervisors.

Advice to Management

Retire. Truly. Because this office functions as efficiently as one from the late 70's and it's a direct result of the inflexibility of the division heads.

7. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at Project Renewal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will get great experience on dealing and working with mentally ill and chemically addicted clients; also you will a lot about the shelter system

Cons

Horrible, low salary.
    Poor and unsupportive management
    Terrible work culture: a lot of gossip and mistrust

Advice to Management

Please stop micromanaging your staff, /!; be more understanding.

8. "server"

Former Employee - Food Server in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Food Server in New York, NY

I worked at Project Renewal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the job i worked at is easy

Cons

it's not to my liking

Advice to Management

I want to work in the kitchen

9. "Project Renewal Review"

Former Employee - Outreach Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Outreach Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Project Renewal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great camaraderie, workable schedule, low pressure, independence

Cons

Little room for growth in this position, under staffed in some areas, unable to provide performance/merit based raises

Advice to Management

Hire within, conduct performance reviews, give annual and merit based raises

10. "Wonderful people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Project Renewal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers make every day worth it. Also, knowing that in some way I am helping people.

Cons

Low pay, but probably average for a non-profit. Some old school ways of doing certain things, and a fear of change which would make things easier.

Advice to Management

Put more money into the people on the front lines, in the shelters. They are deserving.