Prolific Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 9, 2018

3.9
Bobby Emamian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A place that really cares about improving. There is a lot of value in this."

I have been working at Prolific Interactive full-time

Pros

I've never been part of a company that cares more about the people who work there. I think we all take this for granted most of the time, but I've never worked anywhere else that stands behind this. We get to work on high-impact projects, feel ownership over our work, and work beside some of the smartest people possible. I have a lot of faith in this agency and the BIG places it's going. This is my favorite workplace that I've ever been a part of, and I'm really grateful and excited to be part of it.

Cons

Growing pains are growing pains, and there is no perfect way to avoid making any and all mistakes. The true test is learning from them, which I've already seen happen in several instances. Occasionally, I've seen coworkers become negative without being excited about coming up with solutions.

2. "Great company, greater people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Prolific Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with smart, dedicated, hard working people who believe in making THE impact through awesome apps and products. Very supportive managers and mentors who will always get your back.

Cons

High turnover — which is common for agencies. Nothing much to comment.... Short term partnerships? Company can focus more on re-structuring the long term partnership business model.

3. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Prolific Interactive (Less than a year)

Pros

I have absolutely loved my time at Prolific. The people, environment and culture champion creativity, kindness and generosity and they also greatly value a healthy work-life balance which has been wonderful to experience. I was pleasantly surprised by this as some of my previous internships were much harsher and stricter. I felt welcomed into the Prolific family from my first day there. At least 10 people took an hour out of their day during my first few weeks to take me to lunch or coffee just to get to know me, answer all of my questions and give me mini tours around Dumbo. I was overwhelmed by their thoughtfulness. They also have an amazing “bring your dog” policy so there are usually around 5 dogs roaming around that only add to the warmth of the office environment. Around the office you’ll find a ping pong table, tons of comfortable seating areas, conference rooms with funny names like “Leapfrog”, “The Jungle” & “Blue Steele”, as well as white boards covered in creative flow charts or remnants from brainstorming sessions. On Mondays there’s a full office “Monday Morning Meeting” filled with introductions to new team members, information on potential partners, and my favorite part, Kourt. Kourt is a positive, fun and light-hearted session in which people can take time to congratulate someone or acknowledge them for their hard word by publicly stating that they are giving them “money”; In reality, this money comes from a fund provided by the company and when it is “given” to someone it is actually donated to a designated charity for the quarter. People can also “fine” other people for something like getting caught not washing a dish, and this is always done in a light-hearted and joking way. Kourt is one of the many ways that I feel Prolific genuinely follows through with acting on their company values and rewarding or acknowledging those who uphold them or go above and beyond. I’ve been very grateful to get to work, grow and learn in such a healthy, uplifting and rewarding environment this summer.

Cons

Honestly nothing bad about my experience.

"Some red flags"

I have been working at Prolific Interactive full-time

Pros

For a certain type of person, Prolific is a decent place to work. Hours are truly 10-6 and most people completely sign off for the night at the end of the day. The office is beautiful and located in a prime spot in Dumbo. Typical start-up/agency perks: above-par snacks, ping pong tables, dogs in the office, and a fridge full of beer that no one really drinks.

Cons

So much chaos. Office politics are through the roof, there is very little transparency, most of leadership doesn’t really seem to care about supporting peoples' longer term careers, onboarding is a disaster, teams are siloed, and (in certain departments) titles/salaries are skewed in comparison to the rest of the industry. But most notably, turnover is nothing short of jaw-dropping—about 30% of the company has churned since 2018 began. And I don’t just mean base-level staff. In the past month, the VP of Product, VP of Engineering, and Design Team Lead have all left. ALL OF THEM. This really can’t be normalized as “typical agency turnover.” This company is no longer growing quickly (or at all really?) and this seems like a huge problem.

Sadly, with a few notable exceptions, there seems to be a total lack of interest in the newest and most cutting-edge technologies. No real effort is being made to get smart in blockchain, IOT, machine learning, or the latest and greatest dev frameworks. These things seem to be written off as “outside the scope” of the engineering team and things just chug along as they churn out standard iOS/Android apps. Not many people seem fired up about solving big problems and creating things that push the limits.

In a nutshell, if you’re willing to do less-than-thrilling work and take a less-than-market-rate paycheck in exchange for good hours and a cool office space, this place is totally fine. If you want to work on exciting stuff at a company with a clear vision and inspiring leadership, you should probably look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

This is services business... your success is entirely dependent on the strength of your people! Put more energy into hiring smart people and do a LOT more to keep them from leaving.

Re-build most of your leadership team from the ground up. Just because someone has been around forever and been promoted a few times does NOT mean they are a qualified leader or director. Hire people who know how to run a business and manage a team. Hire people who are genuinely intellectually curious and willing to put in the time and effort to explore new technologies, ideas, concepts etc. Hire people who get excited about mobile… after all, it’s the bread and butter of your business.

Aug 21, 2018 – CEO

Thanks for your feedback. It’s disappointing for us to know that you haven’t had the positive experience that we strive to provide for our employees. We always aim to place people on projects that... More

"Not a good time to join"

I worked at Prolific Interactive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flex pto, fancy dumbo office, dog friendly workplace (if you are into that)

Cons

Don't know specifics on why a ton of VPs and directors all left in the same month - and why they still keep them on the website (Are they trying to fool people that we still have leadership? They've updated the site with new people so it's not just ignored backlog.)

Constructive feedback doesn't usually happen in a timely or an actual "constructive" way and turns out to be negative and sometimes gets personal. The reporting structure is haphazard and not distributed equally among all employees (legacy people are untouchable). If you want to succeed here, you have to be really good at politics - and if you want an actual leadership role (and the resources to actually let you succeed in that role), you should probably be male.

Once they get some experienced VPs and leaders back in and get some footing to rebuild, it could be a great opportunity. Plans for improvement have been held very close to the vest and the lack of transparency is making everyone freak out. So unless you want to join in a very chaotic and emotionally charged moment in their growth, I'd hold off for at least a year or so.

Advice to Management

If you aren't willing to hear that things are broken, stop asking employees to talk to you about it.

Aug 21, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience of working at Prolific. Prolific is definitely in a period of transition, and our priority during this time is to set ourselves... More

"Bad projects, worse leaders."

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Prolific Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The trauma that is working hear build very strong bonds among your peers.

Cons

The projects are bad. the leadership is harrable.

Advice to Management

StartOver

"Great packaging and co-workers, lacks vision and stability"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Prolific Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Sitting / Standing desks

- Beautiful office / view of east river and lower Manhattan

- Free lunch every so often

- Big clients ( such as Soul Cycle, Abercrombie, Sephora ) with exposure to enterprise level application development.
    Getting to see your work in the hands of giants is an incredibly rewarding process.

- Supportive team members and implementation debates
    As an engineer, I found my team(s) to be collaborative and always looking for ways to help me succeed.

- Late start at ~10 am

- Flexible vacation + summer break
    Prolific works and plays hard. I appreciated the breaks that the company afforded.

- Really awesome co-workers.
    Best part of Prolific are the driven, smart co-workers you'll work with. There really are great people there.

Cons

- Extremely high turnover
    I observed 30+% turnover during my time at Prolific. I felt it was hard for company morale. It was hard to see that this is something that Prolific accepts as the norm.

- Poor Direction from management / CEO
    Quick turnover at the VP level and unclear direction send bad signals to employees

- Didn't feel considerate of employees
    Being an engineer feels like being an asset or chess piece that is being moved around. Teams are put together and broken up without much consultation from any parties. This was undesirable since it takes some time to understand how to work with a new co-worker.

- Work culture / lack of work-life balance
    Lots of "crunch time". Not unusual to see people working 10 - 8 everyday.

- Poor Planning
    Many projects fall behind schedule due to project managers being overwhelmed with too many duties.

- Inaccurate hiring promises
    Prolific failed to deliver on the promises they agreed to during my interview process.

Advice to Management

- Openly address high turnover

- Have CEO bring more clarity to business.

- Consult engineers on what projects and teams they're interested in

- Create a culture of leaving work on time

- Provide product with better guidance and have more accountability for teams taking on workloads that are unrealistic.

- Stop overpromising in interviews in order to bring people on

Aug 21, 2018 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience collaborating with your teammates on product work, and that affirms our belief that our greatest strength is our... More

"Great in many ways, but terrible leadership"

Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Prolific Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing clients
    Great for getting experience early in your career across departments
    Energized coworkers
    Beautiful office
    Beer on tap
    Great processes for development

Cons

Leadership is terrible. Members of C suite are delusional and emotionally abusive to employees.
    Taking bad clients is your fault, not the employees you force to do your bidding.
    Not many women around certain departments. None in places of actual power in the org.

Advice to Management

1. Don’t be so smug.
    2. SF has problems — folks who had to work with one particular individual often cited her in their exits from the company.
    3. If someone in leadership gets cited by more than a few people during a mass exodus of employees, talk to him seriously — don’t change his C title to something else he has no experience in. You should do an internal investigation and consult HR’s files — they have receipts.
    4. Why are you holding onto the worst parts of the OG crew? These two individuals need to be reprimanded and fired, not given raises and praise. It’s so sad to watch.

9. "Love this place"

Pros

Great company with very smart people.

Cons

Nothing to mention on the downside.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IOS Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Prolific Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exceptional coworkers, everybody cares a lot about quality of the products they make - design, engineering, product managers - everyone.

Cons

Traditional cons of agency work style - timelines mostly.