Promethean World Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Vin Riera

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Steady workload, Great co-workers, Fun work life, Great work/life balance, Many opportunities to move up and expand your skill-set/career (in 4 reviews)

• Good people all around countries with lot of opportunities to do international experience at high level of professionality and skills (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has a high level of disconnect from what the field does or needs (in 7 reviews)

• Core of old senior management team (2015) was very political, but looks like most of the problems are gone (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Company, Nice Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Promethean World full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

Some management seems to look down on the lower level workers, especially in other sections.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Good benefits, good people, questionable management and communication issues"

I have been working at Promethean World full-time

Pros

Good people, free coffee/tea, good atmosphere, foosball table, open office space, good benefits and decent retirement package. Interesting product offering.

Cons

Little communication within departments, slow to innovate, more reactive then proactive, complicated product lineup. Too much change in very little time.

Advice to Management

Need better communication, better training for new employees, and be more proactive in your support model.

"Was a great company for a while..."

I worked at Promethean World full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people (mostly) to work with, family oriented, good perks, flexible hours, good benefits, good atmosphere in office, nice office park.

Cons

Management was great in the beginning, then after the IPO, it all went downhill. New management worked on the buddy system where they look out for each other. Some management was dishonest and some were downright unethical. Some employees were taken advantage of, usually the best ones.

Advice to Management

Hope new management is better, but post-IPO/pre-acquisition management....you sucked.

"Chaos under old leadership"

I worked at Promethean World full-time

Pros

The rank and file are passionate about education and the children. The HR department was great. The products used to be superior.

Cons

Core of old senior management team (2015) was very political, but looks like most of the problems are gone. There was a culture of gossip. Lots of favoritism for FOB short for "Friends of Jim" (old CEO). Product management and engineering were completely dysfunctional. Strategies kept changing and the execution was poor.

Advice to Management

Go back to basics - improve innovation and technology development . Bring in new leaders and fresh thinking.

"Don't believe fake reviews..."

I have been working at Promethean World full-time

Pros

PTO, wear jeans, and a lot of good co-workers, some free meals

Cons

2016 was a terrible year. The entire culture and trust level changed among the entire office. The company was purchased by a Chinese company - owners have own purposes and want huge profit margins (want them to match their gaming companies margins in China); not the same industry or business. Past President totally about self-preservation for him and his friends; knee-jerk reactions, never enough attitude and negative style (even though told the best sales in 10 years according to him).

Constant changes - quiet lay offs here and there all year; job descriptions constantly changing; people bailing ship left and right. Do not believe fake positive reviews (look at entire year and dates); this was not confined to one department only -- HR added these after the overall rating dropped.

Marketing lost people and had people leave, Developers were laid off and jobs outsourced to India, Tech support was understaffed and lost people; inside Sales team was laid off (and very poor commission structures) - people were leaving in many departments or being let go ... the joke was ... " don't tell me you are leaving too"). Job descriptions constantly changing, pressure constantly on ... HR (people and culture) didn't care or couldn't do anything. The top exec was nice but distanced from the employees; a higher up colleague was not good at her job (did not care about employees or did not talk respectfully to or about employees; unprofessional for HR).

Management was terrible - a few good people; but too many that were in bed with each other (not literally); history and buddy system for sure. Lots of self-preservation, escalated numbers; scrambling and ever changing expectations, constant pressure and negative styles ... and what's in it for me and how can we take advantage of people (get more for less). Pressure on software teams and other departments - lost all focus on quality, service and clients. Overall, poor management in general (starting at the top).

Recently, hired new CEO and the President is gone - but I would not go to work here! Too unstable, too many changes still happening, owner and management are numbers driven not customer, product driven) ... so the wonderful culture that used to be Promethean is a thing of the past. Changes are not going in the direction I'd like.... there is no way customer service will not go down due to changes in purchasing, changes in production, changes in fees for software, service, closing our warehouse and going through vendors, etc. They are also moving corporate office to another state.

Do your research!

Advice to Management

Consistent guidelines and policies for everyone including "work from home" policies; otherwise, I don't know. Focus on quality versus quantity .... numbers don't always show the whole picture; relationships keep business growing.

6. "Enjoyed working at Promethean"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Promethean World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment on important educational issues.

Cons

Sadly the parent company mandated layoffs

"Promethean true education professionals"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Promethean World (More than 10 years)

Pros

Promethean provides solutions to the classroom. They do not just "sell". The newer reps( they cleaned house, hence some negative reviews) are eager to help. The manager is a true professional that brought Promethean to the #1 brand in the largest School district in our country. We love her.
    I'm in the industry 40 years, I truly have never seen a team work so hard to make a difference in the classroom. I'm in charge of lots in NYC, some former reps never followed up after being introduced plenty of times by management. What a team now! We love and trust Promethean.

Cons

Stop allowing people that were let go to write negative reviews. This is a class act company with an excellent reputation in the northeast.

Advice to Management

Your manager and newer reps gets it, thank you. We have never been happier with Promethean's products and services.

"Don't let one department take the whole company down!"

Current Employee - Technology Solutions
    Current Employee - Technology Solutions

I have been working at Promethean World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Promethean is an excellent place to work. Great benefits, PTO, casual work place and culture. I am happy to come to work every day. Management is always willing to help and be flexible, I love what I do and the people that help me do it. Promethean allows us to appreciate and directly influence the customer, and working in a growing industry is awesome.

Cons

It's really upsetting to see the Promethean rating drop because of one department's reviews. Promethean is a large, global company with many different departments and divisions. Every company has some pains, but it is all about what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Very excited with the new CEO announcement, and excited for the direction the company is going! Make sure to show your appreciation for your employees.

"Great honest company!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Promethean World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is family oriented and caring. My manager taught me the ropes even though I have been in this industry for many years. She is hands on, NOT a micromanager , passionate and caring. She helped me pick up the pieces from a former rep that never showed up.
    The customer comes first! Promethean Promethean promotes within which is encouraging.

Cons

Nothing with management .
    Product changes too hastily, we were not given much notice.

Advice to Management

Please have steady products that do not change( sizes). Some customers were discouraged.

"Inaccurate Reviews - This is a growing company with a bright future!"

Current Employee - Sales in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Promethean World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting & innovative products, bright future under NetDragon with a brand new CEO (Vin Reira) who in his short stint has already captured the imagination of the sales staff! Promethean's focus remains on empowering educators and inspiring students to make a difference in the world through an interactive learning environment. Very nice upscale office environment, flexible schedules, and freedom to approach your job as you see fit. Promethean grew significantly in 2016 and are looking to keep that momentum going in 2017. Bright, up and coming management paired with seasoned veteran management create a good mix.

Cons

It's disheartening to read some of the other reviews on this website. Common sense tells most that one typically doesn't come to a company website to give a positive review, but rather, a negative one. As with any company, there are under-performers or those who do not buy in to the sales strategy and who unfortunately do not end up working out long term with the company. It appears to me that some of those people have found their way to this website to leave scathingly negative reviews which, quite frankly, are simply inaccurate and likely reflect their attitudes while working at Promethean. Maybe that's why they left?? Some challenges Promethean has had are complicated commission plans, territories which change a little too frequently, and tough competition.

Advice to Management

Put your faith in your sales staff who are in the trenches, promote those who work hard and find results, plan more HR events in the office would be nice as well in order to bridge the gap between sales departments, operations departments, and the developers who are working on the software side of the house. Positivity goes a long way at this company and it's always noticed.