PromiseShip Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
PromiseShip President and CEO Dave Newell
Dave Newell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"PromiseShip shows real Promise to its workers and the families we help."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at PromiseShip full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for growth and advancement in many of the career paths at PromiseShip. Change is made when change is needed, not just to make a change. PromiseShip has a very diverse staff which makes us able to meet the needs of the families we serve better that most agencies like ours. Employees are treated fairly and with respect. PromiseShip invests time and money in the development of their staff and the agency. We have an amazing Wellness program showing the agency understands taking care of yourself is key to taking care of business. I have worked at this agency since they began as Nebraska Families Collaborative, and I don't plan on leaving any time soon. This is one of the best agencies I have ever worked for in terms of pay, benefits, employee recognition, and versatility.

Cons

Some of the cases our agency works with can be challenging. You have to really have a heart for helping other and resiliency at times, when some of the families you work with don't seem to want your help, but you know you still need to help them for their well-being and the well-being of their children. (Just keep your bucket full with those great moments you have with families and the successes you see daily in your cases. That is always a reminder, that you are making a difference and gets you balanced again to go out and make a difference again.)

Advice to Management

Perhaps, look at careers that don't have as much opportunity for advancement and find a way to show the development and growth of those employees over time.

Mar 22, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your service. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with PromiseShip.

2. "Family Permanency Specialist"

Former Employee - Family Permanency Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Family Permanency Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at PromiseShip full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Flexible
    Coworkers
    Doing good work for children and families
    Good job to start a profession

Cons

Long hours at time and not much help from upper management or colleagues even tho your suppose to be a team. Very high school like environment, they hardly fire or have consequences for employees because its a high turn over job. They promote within only if you are liked by supervisors and not by skill or experience. Some supervisors are very unprofessional.

Feb 4, 2019 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review PromiseShip. We recognize the work done by our Family Permanency Specialists is challenging.

We appreciate your feedback. Please know that it will be... More

3. "Family Permanency Specialist"

I worked at PromiseShip full-time

Pros

- There is a sense of real purpose in the work that is completed. It feels like one has the opportunity to make a lasting impact in the community of Omaha.
    - Hours are flexible.
    - Good benefits, not a competitive hourly wage

Cons

- There is a lack of career advancement opportunities for staff in this position.

Nov 14, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review and feedback regarding career growth. You are right about the real purpose of the work we do to positively impact Omaha's communities.

4. "Very underpaid for the amount of work being done. The training was awful."

I worked at PromiseShip full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance was okay, but happiest moment was leaving!

Cons

Workload, pay, training were all awful

Advice to Management

Up the day and get a proper training program together!

Oct 3, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review. This is valuable feedback. Your comments regarding training will absolutely be shared with our leadership team.

5. "Decent Company and Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at PromiseShip full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They offer a flexible schedule, great benefits through Boystown, decent vacation and sick time accrual. The company is going through a lot of changes that are directed on the expansion of the company.

Cons

Work isn’t spread evenly. Some employees work nonstop from 8-5, while others work sparingly. As you can tell, this creates a lot of gossip and negative attitudes.

Advice to Management

The company is going in a positive direction. I just hope it doesn’t turn into a top heavy company, many people are worried about that. Ensure Supervisors and Workers have equal work to avoid gossip, resentment, and negative attitudes throughout the office.

Mar 6, 2018 – Recruiter

6. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I worked at PromiseShip full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was at PromiseShip for almost 6 years. I started as a Family Permanency Specialist - one of the most difficult but most rewarding jobs I have ever had. I experienced many different opportunities for personal growth and development opportinities. The community and culture were great - I had a definite feeling of a work family. I had some incredible supervisors who really cared about me as a person and as a professional.

Cons

This is a very difficult field because of the stresses and risks. At times the different departments were very silo-ed, which made some tasks difficult.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote work life balance and interpersonal growth to employees.

7. "Amazing Agency"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at PromiseShip full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is an amazing company to work for. I have worked in child welfare in the Omaha metro for close to 20 years, and this is by far the best company I have worked for. Leadership is mission driven and dedicated to creating a culture of improvement. Committed and dedicated staff are offered opportunities to grow and develop professional skills while making an impact within the community. The organization truly invests in taking care of families, developing staff, and supporting the community. The people are what makes this organization great.

Cons

Like any non-profit, the work is hard and often unappreciated by those outside of the child welfare or social work field. It can be difficult to maintain balance which is also true of the field of work and not unique to PromiseShip.

Advice to Management

Continue your efforts to support and engage leaders at all levels of the organization, especially when embarking on organizational changes.

Feb 7, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience.

"People afraid of hard work need not apply"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at PromiseShip full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Great benefits
    - Most team members have high integrity and strong work ethic
    - Employees are passionate about what they do, regardless of what area they work in
    - Organization doesn't settle for minimum expectations; constantly striving to go above and beyond and be the best in our field
    - Jobs at NFC aren't easy, but all are highly rewarding

Cons

- Turnover can create challenges to maintaining high outcomes
    - Priorities change quickly and sometimes without clear context
    - Often assigned more work than there is time available to complete
    - Some employees are not held accountable for completing their job duties, while others are held to a higher standard and expected to pick up the slack of unaccountable team members, which creates discord and breaks down team morale

Advice to Management

- Be careful not to "bury your head" when employee/leadership problems arise
    - Err on the side of over-communicating rather than under-communicating

Feb 7, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to review PromiseShip.

"Excellence"

Former Employee - Family Permanency Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Family Permanency Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I worked at PromiseShip (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for NFC for 8 years starting as a case worker my first two years and as a supervisor the last 6 years. If I hadn’t relocated, I would still be there. NFC grew my in my career, invested in me as a professional, and gave me tools that I could use elsewhere. NFC was not only my employer for a long time but also my second family that I will never forget. NFC strives for excellence in services as that is what Nebraska children and families deserve.

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge due to the nature of the work; however it isn’t impossible to achieve with the right guidance.

Advice to Management

Keep expectations high! The children and families deserve it!

10. "Great company"

Pros

Honest Mission, hard working staff
    Great benefits

Cons

Naturally stressful job working with high needs families

Oct 24, 2017 – HR Recruitment Business Partner

Thank you for your service. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Nebraska Families Collaborative.