Proskauer Rose Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Proskauer Rose Chairman Joseph Leccese
Joseph Leccese

Pros
  • Top 100 Law firm in the country (in 8 reviews)

• Compared to other Big Law firms, Proskauer Rose has some of the best people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, demanding environment, tight deadlines (in 6 reviews)

• All of the typical big-law cons (in 5 reviews)

1. "Solid"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Proskauer Rose full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting, substantive work, friendly atmosphere, beautiful office

Cons

Can be long hours, including holidays and weekends.

"Length of Service Means Nothing"

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Proskauer Rose (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits package. if you are grandfathered into their (frozen) pension plan, then you are lucky.

Cons

Staff is treated like cattle. You are nothing but a number on a spreadsheet if you are not an attorney. if you are of a certain age, you are continually harassed by management for the smallest infraction in an attempt to get you to quit.

since management has been overhauled, the smallest perks have been picked at so that there are none. Some of the partners/attorneys act like children who will stab you in the back

Advice to Management

Many of the staff members are older, long time employees. Show some compassion and concern and look at them like human beings with responsibilities outside of your offices.

3. "Working for a Partner"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

Pros

Medical, 401K, Generous PTO, Holiday pay

Cons

Attorney to support staff ratio

Advice to Management

I have nothing negative to say about management, while at the firm I was always treated well.

"Yes!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

great office, intelligent people, great learning experiences

Cons

long hours, demanding environment, tight deadlines

"Terrible"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in New York, NY

I worked at Proskauer Rose full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the department that you are in you can get very good training. This depends of course on not being stuck with the wrong partner, which happens to many associates.

Cons

The firm is perfectly content with letting its associates run themselves into the ground and quit. The lack of concern over this is disturbing.

7. "Typical BigLaw"

Current Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I have been working at Proskauer Rose (More than a year)

Pros

Generally the firm does a great job of recruiting sharp lawyers who are great to work with and learn from. There are a few exceptions but in general it is a great to take advantage and learn from all the smart capable attorneys.

Cons

Typical BigLaw complaints. Long hours, lack of recognition, focus on billables. Too many management positions and non billing employees at the firm. The legal staff is held to a higher standard than HR/Marketing etc.

Advice to Management

Trim down and raise base salary for entry level paralegals. I'd rather have a higher base and not get overtime.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Staff Member in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff Member in New York, NY

Pros

Facilities are amazing, work is rewarding, and lawyers are fantastic to work with. Firm is managed to the very highest standards.

Cons

Micro-managing of the staff is in the Firm's DNA. There is very little flexibility to work from home.

9. "Legal Secretary"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I worked at Proskauer Rose full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people from attorneys, management and support staff. I've always felt that my attorneys cared about me as part of their team, and cared about me as a person. They showed concern with my well-being, in and out of the office, which is always a great feeling. Benefits are more cost-friendly than other big law firms. Liberal time reporting system where one doesn't have to punch in and punch out for lunch (and feel like a 3rd grader). Relaxed environment (jeans on fridays if you want to contribute to the charity of the week which is only $5), delicious food at the cafe with plenty of options, starbucks coffee bar if you choose you don't want the free pick of coffee/teas available in every pantry (one on each floor). Prime location with access to several means of transportation in and out of the city. Beautiful, updated building and offices.

Cons

None that I can think of. If the Firm restructuring didn't call for staff layoffs, I would have stayed there until my retirement day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep treating your employees like gold because regardless of the occasional gripes brought up at secretarial meetings, they have it better than most.

"They spit me out"

Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good people when you start

Cons

jeckle and Hyde treatment by partner

Advice to Management

Stop the abuse

"No love for staff"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Proskauer Rose full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the attorneys are fantastic people to work with. Medical/dental/vision and 401k benefits great. 4 weeks vacation (after 3 years) plus sick leave fantastic.

Cons

Some of the partners are extremely high maintenance but most do show their appreciation-just difficult to deal with because you have to try to gauge their mood at any given time. Staff benefits have been slowly disappearing over the years (I was there 13 years) and the attitude is "you're lucky you have a job." Staff truly is treated as though we could be easily replaced. I guess that's true given today's labor market, but even the $10 gift from the firm on administrative professionals day was cut down to a memo from the firm's managing partner. Holiday bonuses are a joke.

Advice to Management

Bring back some of the staff benefits: holiday party, summer picnic, fun Friday events (ice cream social, pizza lunch, etc.)