Protective Life Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Protective Life Chairman, President, and CEO John D. Johns
John D. Johns

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits, great team , great hours (in 10 reviews)

• Great environment to work in, and also great people to work along with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't look for them to invest in you in any way or for opportunities for advancement (in 6 reviews)

• Very low pay and low promotional increases (in 6 reviews)

1. "Manager"

I worked at Protective Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small staff size, great health benefits, generous vacation time

Cons

HR is a joke. Company is reactive and overall poor at planning anything. The approach is wait and see vs lets be prepared. HR is a complete joke and is useless. Policies and procedures are at manager's discretion and are not applied consistently. Job descriptions do not exist either. Lots of wasted time on meetings about meetings. No interest in innovation or change. Pay was not competitive for hourly employees. No incentives or training plan. Career growth was based on who you knew not how you performed. Very high turnover.

Advice to Management

Hire more experienced HR personnel. Have focus groups to gain insight from employees. Document job descriptions and procedures like most companies.

"Not recommended"

I have been working at Protective Life full-time

Pros

Lots of vacation time is provided every year. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is a paid holiday. There are opportunities for training and development, but you do need to seek them out yourself.

Cons

There are a lot of problems within the company. Decisions are often made by inappropriate parties or at inappropriate levels.

Advancement opportunities are frequently awarded to those with the most seniority, not the best qualifications or even any relevant qualifications.

The pay is not competitive, and annual increases are based on a formula dictated by management. There is very little variation between the minuscule increase received by a poor performer and the mediocre increase received by a high performer. Bonuses are unpredictable and not linked to employee performance in any meaningful way.

The 401(k) match is below-average for the industry.

The health insurance plans are not competitive, with very large deductibles. This is particularly offensive because the plans are self-insured. i.e. Protective has the power to improve the coverage and cost but hasn't.

Management frequently sends out emails requesting that employees write to their Congressman about various issues. These issues frequently pit consumer against corporation or employee against employer. Management almost always asks us to weigh in on the corporate/employer side of the argument.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. This ship doesn't steer itself, and the people closest to the business very likely have some good insights about how to run it.

"Very low paying job"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner I in Brentwood, TN
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner I in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Protective Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are all very nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

Company acquisitions of other insurance company blocks of business increased workload without the staff to match. Clocking in and out for breaks, lunch and work is a pain. Benefits are ok but definitely not the best for an insurance company. If you like a highly repetitive job then this is for you.

Advice to Management

Increase pay, increase benefits.

"Anywhwhere else but here"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Protective Life (More than 10 years)

Pros

On sight gym is nice.

Cons

Make no mistake...you have more common sense and will be more educated than two managers above you. You will spend your days explaining the obvious and leaving dumbfounded by the ignorance displayed by your manager. HR turns blind eye to abuses in hope it will just go away. Racism, cronyism, sexism are prevelant here. Advise any potential hire to walk away. The well is poisoned!

Advice to Management

Will not bother with middle management as they would most likely not understand anyway. Advise to senior management...open your eyes and stop trying to buy favorable results to employee engagement surveys.

"Good 'ol boys club."

Former Employee - Case Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

I worked at the Protective Distributor Cincinnati Ohio Office. I liked that it was small. Most people were friendly. A mostly relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Made me believe that as a contract employee I would get hired if I stayed. Told me this for months only to hire other people and let me go right when my contract was up. Company not diverse. Out of 100+ employees, only 7 black and 1 Asian. Too many young kids working and getting promoted and shouldn't be.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like your diverse when you're not. Also, my manager was inexperienced in how to me a leader. Plays politics and was very petty. Learn how to develop employees so they stay and want to be there. Stop handing people jobs that haven't earned it fairly, not just because you like them.

Train Case Manager's better. My manager had terrible time management skills, was always unorganized, never knew what was going on, and would get annoyed if you questioned something. Luckily for me, I had a coworker who was good at what they did and they helped me to learn the processes because I couldn't rely on my manager at all.

6. "Absurdly low pay"

I have been working at Protective Life full-time

Pros

Advancement opportunity and solid financials

Cons

Absurdly low pay across the company.

Advice to Management

You cannot expect results without paying your employees properly.

"You can be replaced."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bannockburn, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bannockburn, IL

I worked at Protective Life (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the benefits are still good. 401K match only to 4%. New employees get a small cash pension (grandfathered employees had a much better program) vested after 3 years of service.

To be perfectly frank, there are a lot of admin jobs at Bannockburn. The people who stay a long time live north or west of the office, have no college degree, and know there's nothing else out there for them. If you're OK doing the same job with no hope of things getting better, give it a go. Also, feel free to apply for a job you do not meet the requirements for. A lot of qualified individuals are overlooked for less qualified applicants. Sometimes the new hire is related to someone who works there, even though nepotism was officially eliminated in 2008.

Cons

Employees are seen as a replaceable commodity. Don't look for them to invest in you in any way or for opportunities for advancement. People who have made several moves over the years have almost certainly made a lateral move. The few internal promotes are typically demoted or relegated to a "new role" after a period. This is likely different in Chesterfield and Birmingham. They seem to have more opportunities.

Compensation is a huge issue. Salary ranges are very wide to include people who started at the bottom and people who were demoted from another position but get to keep their salary. Pay raises differ significantly by department and are frequently allocated based on "manager recommendation" (read: these two people got the same rating but I want this person to have $1000 more. OK). It is not uncommon for someone to make half as much as someone doing the same job. New hires frequently are brought on at a higher salary than people who have put in years of effort.

Management is schizophrenic at best. Restructuring is an almost constant occurrence. Frequently, the purpose seems to be to eliminate certain individuals as staffing usually returns to its original organization with slightly different titles. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on what the goals are. One month more managers will be brought in because they need more managers. The next month, they let go or demote several managers and the same number of managers work in that area, except now they're new and have no idea what their people do. A lot of changes are just a reversal of a change made within the last few years so no one is taking notes on what changes are made and what worked or didn't work about it. Since everyone involved is now new, it's a new idea. There is an abundance of middle managers who justify their positions by calling an endless stream of meetings which achieve nothing. Re-arranging seating is usually high priority while compliance and improving efficiency are less so. If you work there for more than a couple of years, you will have had more than one job title while your duties remain essentially unchanged.

Advice to Management

Make your managers stick to the overall corporate strategy instead of making up their own pet projects that achieve nothing.

Stop spending money on employee surveys. Managers interpret the results to match what they think and their interpretation usually has no statistical data to prove it. Plus several managers have told their employees that they will know what their responses are so you are not getting honest answers.

During Employee Appreciation Week, instead of dispensing food and more food, try to dish out some actual appreciation. It would be interesting to have managers do their employees' job for a day. The ones who perform well should be recognized for that, but I suspect many will be surprised by what their employees do. Then they might be motivated to look for actual progress.

Evaluate salaries even before a "restructure". Base raises on where someone is in their range. For example, if two people get the same rating for the same job and one makes half as much as the other, 2% raises to both is not equitable in the least. The person making half as much has far less reason to stay and those are the people you should want to keep.

"TSS. You're Replaceable and we will run you off after we drain every bit of blood, sweat, and tears possible.-PLICO"

Former Employee - Tss in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Tss in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Protective Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Networking
    T Finleys Baked Potatoes
    Co-workers were awesome. We really cared about each other and tried to have good, professional relationships despite the fact that we could barely have a 3 minute chat without being told we were "stealing time".

Cons

Management is totally out of touch and ignorant
    Work Atmosphere is Increasingly Negative and Depressing
    Men and women are not treated the same
    Your great work is often attributed to your imbecile manager
    Management wants you to run the department while they meet for an hour or more everyday to talk about "ways to improve". The meetings are unsuccessful. No improvement.

Advice to Management

Start treating people like people (again) and not some number you can replace. Recognize the difference between an employee that cares and someone who's just there to collect a paycheck. Don't allow sexual harassment just because you think it's funny and not a serious issue. Pick a chief! You never accomplish anything because of the miscommunication that comes from all of those manager meetings that you have daily. Get someone who knows what they're doing and just start listening to them instead of fighting about the best way to answer the phone, etc. Don't expect employees to behave like adults when you treat them like children. Promote from within. Locally.

"Titanic FOR SURE!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Elgin, IL

I worked at Protective Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent. The hours are good. The cafe is ok.

Cons

Management does NOT care about your needs. They demand overtime even thru lunches. The company does not care about your safety in inclement weather conditions. If you don't come to work due to a snow storm, it's a guaranteed write up. Management is a JOKE. The Birmingham office gets way more attention and are more enthused to come to work. THERE IS NO CHANCE FOR ADVANCEMENT UNLESS SOMEONE QUITS THEIR JOB IN ANOTHER DEPARTMENT. You can work your butt off and not get a raise. Well let me rephrase that. I was there for 6 six years in the same department and the manager expects you to do everything they don't want to do. And only a total of a $1 raise... If you like stress, this is the place to go!!

Advice to Management

You should care more about your employees. Treat everyone with respect and stop thinking the sun rises and sets on you!

"The Titanic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Protective Life full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Protective was a great place to work at one time. They still provide some good benefits. Most mid level management are good people.

Cons

Shareholders sold out to a Japanese company. The employees found out through social media.

The employee morale is low but senior management seem disinterested. Employees will eventually find out (through social media I'm sure) their jobs will be outsourced.

Employees are at the mercy of those in control that are too busy being in control to even consider what is good for the company.

Its very sad but no one seems to be leading the company. Employees know they have no voice when they realize managers don't even have a voice.

Being sold to a company outside the United States was a good indicator there is no loyalty to OUR country or to employees. It was certainly a good deal for the shareholders but a raw deal for everyone else.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending. People that were once invested in their jobs are jumping ship. Ignoring that some in senior management are the root cause of much of this is not fair to employees and customers.

It's time to fix it or keep losing good people to the point there is no choice but to outsource many functions. If that is the real goal, then keep up the good work.