ProteinSimple Reviews | Glassdoor

ProteinSimple Reviews

Updated Sep 6, 2019

Found 34 reviews

3.6
ProteinSimple CEO Tim Harkness (no image)
Tim Harkness

"Biopharmaceutical instrumentation design/manufacturer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ProteinSimple full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart people, perks, results only workplace, interesting products, benefits

Cons

Engineering Management is awful, pay, unresponsive HR

ProteinSimple2017-09-02
  2. "Great Company with Protential for Growth"

Former Employee - Field Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at ProteinSimple full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Vision and Superior Product design and science!

Cons

Not enough Marketing to the right audience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

ProteinSimple2017-07-08
  3. "Growing company, changing culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ProteinSimple full-time for more than a year

Pros

After a couple tough quarters early in my time here the company has experienced strong growth coming from new products and investment in sales and marketing. We've added more than 20 employees in the past year and worked hard to bring positive changes to the culture as it existed prior to the acquisition by Bio-Techne. The company now has a strong focus on quality, and it is actively encouraging input and leadership... from mid-level employees that felt they had to keep their head down under the previous leadership. While the workload is high, this is a much more positive experience than at past companies where growth was low and the focus was on cost cutting.

Cons

Despite adding lots of new employees and upgrading several positions, there still is quite a lot of work to do.

Advice to Management

Keep reinforcing the new culture, employee empowerment, and performance expectations.

ProteinSimple2016-11-20

"Great Company Culture and Balance"

Current Employee - Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ProteinSimple full-time for less than a year

Pros

I joined ProteinSimple earlier this year and find it to be a great place to work. ProteinSimple has a very good company culture and one of the best ones in Life Sciences that I know. To understand the culture, you have to understand its past. There used to be a different management team which managed the business differently with different objectives. That has changed and employees now have more influence on... the business and where it is going. Many of the negative comments are rooted in the past.

Cons

No company is perfect and good companies go through growing pains. ProteinSimple is growing and with that comes opportunity and challenges. Having worked at companies that grow through contraction, it is more enjoyable to deal with growing pains. That basically means there is no room for slack and people are expected to work hard. Hard doesn't mean obsessive, it just means being accountable to working an... honest day.

ProteinSimple2016-10-24

"Perspective of a Research Associate"

I have been working at ProteinSimple

Pros

As some stated your work schedule, if you work in the hands on science branch of the building, is extremely flexible and good results justify the "means." The research is extremely interesting if you have a background in science (I have a background in biochemistry) and is extremely straightforward and innovative. If you're observant and have legitimate suggestions, you will be given the tools and resources to... explore these ideas and analyze the results. The workload seems pretty light, though I do notice that the group that I work in is probably the most relaxed of all the groups in R&D, and I often find myself with a lot of flex time. The company knows that a happy worker results in better quality work and a higher desire to duty, and proves you with lots of free perks: - There's a very nice gym on site that I use almost everyday - There's showers and freshly laundered towels in the locker room - There's free breakfast food and snacks restocked twice a week - Free bagels every Friday - Free unlimited beer at a beer tap - Happy Hour every month - Frequent free lunches for various reasons - BBQ's to reward workers for growth The building itself is also extremely new, clean, and a pleasure to work in, especially on hot days when I want to relax on the company patio. Pay is pretty decent and definitely above average based on my research.

Cons

Sometimes I feel, as a new employee, I'm not observed enough for potential. A little more upfront checks on my work and the progress (again, since I am new) would really help me get an idea of where I stand. I also feel a little more for the downstairs workers, as I feel they don't have as much luxury as us in R&D.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on who may be a valuable asset and work to keep them.

ProteinSimple2016-10-12

"working at ProteinSimple"

I have been working at ProteinSimple

Pros

ProteinSimple is one of the best companies that I have worked over a 20+ year career. The products, support, and management are excellent. Tim Harkness is no longer the CEO even though the Glassdoor profile states him as CEO. Bob Gavin is an excellent Sr VP at ProteinSimple and the CEO is Chuck Kummeth of BioTechne. I would recommend ProteinSimple to friends and colleagues.

Cons

From a field sales person perspective, there are no downsides or cons. Commissions are paid monthly and salaries are competitive.

ProteinSimple2016-10-10

"Great Science, Smart people"

I have been working at ProteinSimple

Pros

Very smart team, great diversity in background. This is a challenging but rewarding work environment. It selects for people who really want to make things happen and be at the cutting edge of Science. ROWE gives a lot of flexibility.

Cons

Many dedicated personalities don't know when to take a break. ROWE puts a lot of responsibility for life/work balance on the employee.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on your most committed employees so they don't burn themselves out by running too fast

ProteinSimple2016-10-11
  8. "Don't waste your time here!"

in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ProteinSimple

Pros

Results only work environment so the hours here are flexible, depending on which department you work in and if you're getting your work done. Very spacious building with a bunch of TV's everywhere. Gym on site. Free snacks with beer on tap and Happy hour once a month.

Cons

Open work space design with no privacy. Frequent turnover or re-assignment of managers at multiple levels. Very stressful work environment, especially during quarter end. And just to piggy back off another review, I agree that the culture has quickly fallen from teamwork and collaboration, to selfish backstabbing with many only looking out for themselves.

ProteinSimple2016-08-12

"Overworked and underpaid"

I have been working at ProteinSimple full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedules. Nice new building with beer on tap. Wide open spaces. Several nice folks at the office who are fun.

Cons

They do not care about their employees. Exact quote when asked about this years reviews and a rumor about $1-2/hr raises: "No, you are all replaceable". When asked about growing their current employee skills and abilities, they answered, "since we don't, they can't leave". It is a burn-and-turn employee environment with no appreciation, even if you go above and beyond. Culture has quickly fallen from teamwork... and collaboration, to selfish backstabbing with many only looking out for themselves. There's a growing culture of taking credit from others and publicly putting down colleagues, even direct reports.

Advice to Management

There are many, many folks planning or looking to leave. It doesn't help when you tell your employees "well, I'm getting my bonus".

ProteinSimple2016-08-05
  10. "Hard Place to Work - no real measure for achievements"

in San Jose, CA

I worked at ProteinSimple for less than a year

Pros

Good technology, prospects for high market share. Fitness center inside. R&D seem to be happy there.

Cons

No work-life balance. Crazy unfair environment in manufacturing mainly. No matter how good job you do and how hard you work there will be somebody to make you look like you do not do much - usually that somebody is who the management listens to.

Advice to Management

Find a way to identify who really do the work and who just brags about it.

ProteinSimple2016-06-22