Proteus Digital Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Proteus Digital Health Co-Founder and CEO Andrew M. Thompson
Andrew M. Thompson

Pros
  • The environment is really fast paced and challenging (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits, good product, free snacks , fruits in the cafeteria (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Thick filter as far as what information is passed on to upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Location in Redwood City can be a tough commute location (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work and grow"

Former Employee - Systems Integration Intern
    Former Employee - Systems Integration Intern

Pros

Very dynamic environment with helpful co-workers
    No office politics and management is very accessible
    Everyone has faith in the product and the market results are positive
    Even as an intern, the work is very relevant and important to the company and a lot of flexibilty and independence is accorded

Cons

Nothing comes to mind really!

2. "Intern"

Pros

Great people, everyone is nice.

Cons

Small company, not much things to do

"Awesome technology, not awesome leadership"

Former Employee - Head in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Head in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Development of the main ingestible sensor technology was awesome. Even FDA recognised that. Since then, lots of talented people have flailed under leadership that is gifted at fundraising but little more.

Cons

Efforts to make money from the technology continue to come up short. The founding executives hold fast on the wrong things and just jump from one underdeveloped concept to another. Really a crime given the talent, including newer executives and strong operating leaders, that has run through the company. Great start up vision that is big and important for the healthcare market, but unacceptable to still be a start up after 12 years and almost $500 million burned.

Advice to Management

Step aside to let someone more experienced in getting to market have a crack at making something, anything, of the great scientific discovery you made too many years ago.

"Transitioning from R&D to selling product"

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health full-time

Pros

Proteus is a leader in the digital health space---no one else can collect the data that Proteus can. This makes for an incredibly exciting environment. As the company transitions from an R&D focused company to a more mature organization that focuses on selling product, there have been some rapid tacks. That being said, there is incredible room to (a) do good from a global health perspective, (b) do well from a career perspective, and (c) innovate.

Cons

Certain teams are stronger than others---and this correlates almost perfectly with the strength of the team leader. Further, there have been some abrupt shifts in commercial strategy, though these have been largely dictated by large consumers. All said, this is a 200+ person company; not everyone is an all-star, but there are very few duds.

Advice to Management

Although we feel the impacts of our commercial strategy, it would be great to have a deeper understanding of the commercial mission of Proteus. It is sometimes not clear how our decisions impact our smoothest path forwards, and instead can feel like we are being jerked around by our partners.

Additionally, it would be wonderful to standardize hiring, evaluation, and compensation practices across the organization. There are some members of the organization who are widely known as ineffective, and others that are effective in secret. Let's please recognize this!

"Assembler I"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great helpful product for those that need help with prescription adherence

Cons

Biased management. Lots of favoritism. Little room for growth.

Advice to Management

No more favoritism!

"Good company, but they need to find their path"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

Pros

I love the fact that all the intern reviews are very positive, and most of the actual employee reviews, not so much. Proteus is an interesting company. Rarely will you find the opportunity to completely disrupt something as massive as the oral dose pharmaceutical industry. It has a cool culture and is a fast-paced environment. It has massive potential and is a great opportunity for someone who doesn’t need much guidance, and is good at teaching themselves.

Cons

One of the reviews comments, “We have not always executed to our full capacity. I don’t believe this is the result of incompetence” and this is very wrong. The definition of incompetence is not having the skills, knowledge, or expertise to do something. This is a huge problem at Proteus. The company likes to compare itself to Apple or Facebook. And it has the potential to follow in that vein; however they are also in a regulated market space, so it’s not the same as a high-tech company where you can simply promote go-getters to senior levels which don’t actually have the right experience. I found most (not all) of the leadership lacked a very basic understanding of what it would take to do the things which needed to be done. The attitude is clearly “go, go, go, we’ll fix the problems later”. The details of what needed to happen were almost never understood. Some departments clearly didn’t even realize what the scope of their job function was (this is the only place I’ve ever seen that). Strategies were often oversimplified and didn’t align with requirements. There are several high level people who have never worked anywhere else or had very little industry experience prior to coming to Proteus. Because of this there really wasn’t any good mentorship nor a solid foundation of understanding of what really needed to be done. To be completely fair… every company has their issues, and they do have plenty.

Advice to Management

Establish your Beachhead (I know you've read Crossing the Chasm), lay out the plan, don't over do it. Keep it achievable. You should also try to get people with better experience and listen to them. Oh...and while I think your 6 month outlook is rough, your 2 year outlook is good.

"Very poor middle and upper management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic work place, meaningful work. It can be fun if you are in the right team.
    Fun company events, long time off during holidays.

Cons

Too many to list here.
    There are several folks with hardly any real world experience or accomplishments that get promoted. Favoritism is rampant.
    It's not just in middle level but even upper management. There are way too many 'heads' of departments that are working in the field for the first time in their careers.
    This is very discouraging for the people (with more accomplishments and experience) working under such managers as there is no one really to look up to and there seems to be no room for growth.
    There were a lot of folks that tried to make a difference that either got fired or left with frustration.

Advice to Management

Give credit where needed, recognize talent.

"Great company with a lot of potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work for Proteus for 1.5 years now and enjoy every day I work here. The environment is really fast paced and challenging. Most of the people are also exceptionally smart, driven and determined. I learned so much over my tenure here and continue learning new things every day.

I am very optimistic about Proteus and its ability to become the first digital medicine company in the world and improve the healthcare in a meaningful way!

Cons

I think the company is undergoing a natural evolution and shift from purely R&D operations to commercial as well. This is a big learning moment and mental shift for many Proteans. Sometimes it means a change/refinement in structure or strategy is needed. Of course, certain hiccups are made along the way and not everyone is happy about it. However, in general, I think Proteus treats its employees fairly and definitely rewards loyal and high performing employees.

Advice to Management

I feel that Top Management could do a better use of quarterly employee surveys.

"Great place for the right kind of person"

Current Employee - Head of Digital Medicine Platform
    Current Employee - Head of Digital Medicine Platform

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’m a current Proteus employee (full disclosure: been here a while) and I must admit it is hard to read the remarks of some of my former colleagues. There is something special about this company, in particular about the people that continue to want to be part of the Proteus story, which is not evenly represented in the commentary and I feel compelled to round out the narrative of what it’s like to work at Proteus.

First, there is some truth in what some of my former coworkers have shared – we have not always executed to our full capacity. I don’t believe that is the result of incompetence or political maneuvering (as other posts imply or outright state) but because of the complexity of what we are doing. Tying together commercial, regulatory, development, quality assurance, and manufacturing activities into a unified executable strategy is challenging for all companies but it is a particularly complex problem to solve for a company like Proteus where the totality of what we are trying to do here has never been attempted before. Over these last 15+ years, those plans that we have produced, while all viable, have been upset by ever-changing commercial or regulatory environments and Proteus has not always done the best job of communicating those changes in plan in broad and actionable ways across the company. This mistake has orphaned programs or forced rushed changes in scope which has understandably deeply frustrated some of our talented and committed teams and individuals.

I’ve personally experienced this and I know how deflating it can be. That said, we are a company of problem solvers (how else could this company thrive for so long?) and this is a never-ending challenge that we continue to get better at managing. The way I see my colleagues pushing themselves beyond their functional roles to connect all of those activities I mentioned above gives me the confidence to state that we are well on our way to minimizing the internal churn created by changes in external circumstances.

Committing to stomping problems well outside what your resume says you should own takes a special kind of person and I have come to learn that Proteus is not for everyone. If you want to punch a clock, if you want the reassurance that what you are working on next month will be the same as what you are working on this month, if you don’t secretly enjoy rallying with your teammates for the occasional firefight, or if you are not comfortable sailing well off the edge of the map (warning: here be dragons), then your time at Proteus will likely be more frustrating than fulfilling. I’ve seen this happen to experienced and well-meaning people before and it likely will happen to you.

If that’s not you, if you need to be part of something different than what you have ever experienced in your professional career, if you need to grind shoulder-to-shoulder with people that you will respect for the rest of your life, and if you need to solve problems that extend beyond what is sitting directly in front of you, then please join us.

We need you and I think you’ll find that you need us.

Cons

Cons named in what I've written above

"Innovative but could do with more strategic management"

Pros

Innovative technology with great potential to improve healthcare.
    Fast-paced work environment with a very diverse team with ample opportunities for cross-fertilization of ideas.

Cons

Frequent changes in company direction with annual reorganizations. High turnover rate. Frequent fire fights. Company could do with better long-term planning and improved execution.

Advice to Management

Gather adequate intelligence from experts before setting plans and budgets in stone. Balance aggressive goals with resources that are available.