Proteus Digital Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Proteus Digital Health Co-Founder and CEO Andrew M. Thompson
Andrew M. Thompson

Pros
  • The environment is really fast paced and challenging (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits, good product, free snacks , fruits in the cafeteria (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Thick filter as far as what information is passed on to upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Location in Redwood City can be a tough commute location (in 5 reviews)

"Great company with a lot of potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work for Proteus for 1.5 years now and enjoy every day I work here. The environment is really fast paced and challenging. Most of the people are also exceptionally smart, driven and determined. I learned so much over my tenure here and continue learning new things every day.

I am very optimistic about Proteus and its ability to become the first digital medicine company in the world and improve the healthcare in a meaningful way!

Cons

I think the company is undergoing a natural evolution and shift from purely R&D operations to commercial as well. This is a big learning moment and mental shift for many Proteans. Sometimes it means a change/refinement in structure or strategy is needed. Of course, certain hiccups are made along the way and not everyone is happy about it. However, in general, I think Proteus treats its employees fairly and definitely rewards loyal and high performing employees.

Advice to Management

I feel that Top Management could do a better use of quarterly employee surveys.

"Don't work here if you value trust, respect and transparency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really great people who work here, mostly at the lower levels of the company hierarchy. The product is very unique and the work is incredibly exciting.

Cons

I wish I had listened to the reviews more and I agree with many of the common themes here- heavy favoritism, inexperienced managers, questionable direction and decision-making. A few examples of the Proteus I have experienced:

Promotions are based strictly on favoritism. Many of the highly technical leadership roles are filled by non-technical people who have zero experience in the area. This not only negatively impacts the company internally but it also impacts our ability to hire good people. It seems that incompetence is correlated with power.

Company survey data is withheld when the reviews aren't what management wanted to see. In general there is very little transparency here. Secrets are everywhere.

Layoffs occur about twice a year. Re-orgs occur at least twice a year. There are way too many managers (my guess would be 2.5:1 employees to managers). The managers are not contributors.

In general, the company lacks trust and respect amongst employees, making Proteus a difficult place to work.

Advice to Management

Instead of telling people to get on glassdoor and write nice reviews about you, try addressing some of the issues that are on here.

"Awesome technology, not awesome leadership"

Former Employee - Head in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Head in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Development of the main ingestible sensor technology was awesome. Even FDA recognised that. Since then, lots of talented people have flailed under leadership that is gifted at fundraising but little more.

Cons

Efforts to make money from the technology continue to come up short. The founding executives hold fast on the wrong things and just jump from one underdeveloped concept to another. Really a crime given the talent, including newer executives and strong operating leaders, that has run through the company. Great start up vision that is big and important for the healthcare market, but unacceptable to still be a start up after 12 years and almost $500 million burned.

Advice to Management

Step aside to let someone more experienced in getting to market have a crack at making something, anything, of the great scientific discovery you made too many years ago.

"Assembler I"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great helpful product for those that need help with prescription adherence

Cons

Biased management. Lots of favoritism. Little room for growth.

Advice to Management

No more favoritism!

"Good company, but they need to find their path"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hayward, CA

Pros

I love the fact that all the intern reviews are very positive, and most of the actual employee reviews, not so much. Proteus is an interesting company. Rarely will you find the opportunity to completely disrupt something as massive as the oral dose pharmaceutical industry. It has a cool culture and is a fast-paced environment. It has massive potential and is a great opportunity for someone who doesn’t need much guidance, and is good at teaching themselves.

Cons

One of the reviews comments, “We have not always executed to our full capacity. I don’t believe this is the result of incompetence” and this is very wrong. The definition of incompetence is not having the skills, knowledge, or expertise to do something. This is a huge problem at Proteus. The company likes to compare itself to Apple or Facebook. And it has the potential to follow in that vein; however they are also in a regulated market space, so it’s not the same as a high-tech company where you can simply promote go-getters to senior levels which don’t actually have the right experience. I found most (not all) of the leadership lacked a very basic understanding of what it would take to do the things which needed to be done. The attitude is clearly “go, go, go, we’ll fix the problems later”. The details of what needed to happen were almost never understood. Some departments clearly didn’t even realize what the scope of their job function was (this is the only place I’ve ever seen that). Strategies were often oversimplified and didn’t align with requirements. There are several high level people who have never worked anywhere else or had very little industry experience prior to coming to Proteus. Because of this there really wasn’t any good mentorship nor a solid foundation of understanding of what really needed to be done. To be completely fair… every company has their issues, and they do have plenty.

Advice to Management

Establish your Beachhead (I know you've read Crossing the Chasm), lay out the plan, don't over do it. Keep it achievable. You should also try to get people with better experience and listen to them. Oh...and while I think your 6 month outlook is rough, your 2 year outlook is good.

"Very poor middle and upper management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic work place, meaningful work. It can be fun if you are in the right team.
    Fun company events, long time off during holidays.

Cons

Too many to list here.
    There are several folks with hardly any real world experience or accomplishments that get promoted. Favoritism is rampant.
    It's not just in middle level but even upper management. There are way too many 'heads' of departments that are working in the field for the first time in their careers.
    This is very discouraging for the people (with more accomplishments and experience) working under such managers as there is no one really to look up to and there seems to be no room for growth.
    There were a lot of folks that tried to make a difference that either got fired or left with frustration.

Advice to Management

Give credit where needed, recognize talent.

"Company finding its way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Proteus Digital Health (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Exciting technology, could really revolutionize health care, and earn lots of $$$
    2) Experienced at navigating the difficult regulatory and bureaucratic hurdles in getting stuff into big health systems and into doctors' hands
    3) Comfortable environment, people are nice to work with.
    4 ) Transparency and honesty is great.
    5) Complex product with a lot of interesting problems to solve - from chip to device to software backend and mobile app and software backend.
    6) Company has found a pathway to commercialization, early customers are happy and many more starting up.

Cons

Despite being a startup, there's a lot of internal management and structure, which get shuffled around frequently. Causes instability and uncertainty. Priorities shift and projects get shelved, work is wasted. Business-wise it's a startup that just released a product, organization-wise it's a large structured organization, and the two clash. To work here without constant stress and frustration you really need to be able to go with the flow.

Advice to Management

Stop with the endless reorgs and new orgcharts. You can change priorities without restructuring everything.

Focus the company and the teams on delivering things our customers will actually use. There's a lot of talk of focus and even a lot of progress on focus, but it needs to keep improving.

"It's not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Exciting technology that the company is working on. Lots of potential applications if they would execute better. It always made for a good conversation topic at parties.

- Very sharp and friendly people. In general, people are more than happy (and sometimes go out of their way) to help you out. It's interesting to learn new things via daily interactions at work. There is always someone down to grab a drink after work.

- Free snacks, drinks, and even a griddle to make eggs. There are both healthy and unhealthy options.

- In general, the work environment is relaxed (aside from when a crisis arises)

- Flexible hours, cheap cafes nearby, nice walking paths around the office, plenty of parking

- CEO is a great motivator and salesman

Cons

- Ungenerous PTO policy

- Open and semi-open work areas are very noisy and distracting. Conversations could be heard across the building & people would often have 4-5 person impromptu meetings in the middle of the office.

- Very few opportunities for growth within the company, especially for technical folks. Unless you're a programmer, there aren't many areas where you can spread your wings here. Trying to switch to other groups within the company can be a challenge, esp. if there isn't enough work to go around. The R&D employees seem to be getting the short end of the stick lately (layoffs throughout the past year).

- Lack of recognition for contributors. Their "Golden Boot" award was meant to recognize any employee who did excellent work, but in reality usually usually rewarded to whoever had the most visible project of the week. It felt like a the same people patting themselves on the back every week. Certain managers were more concerned with taking credit & making themselves look good.

- Upper management can be opaque and somewhat bipolar with their goals & processes. What started as a yearly goal may end up changing every quarter. Changes in focus can be expected for a start up, but changing direction every few months quickly got tiring.

- Many of the managers were excellent, but there is a definite feeling of favoritism among the managers. It's a little puzzling how certain managers were given their roles. Some have no clue what their employees are up to until something goes wrong. Furthermore, there are many managers with just 1 or 2 people under them. Why not consolidate these branches and flatten out the management tree?

- Company-wide surveys were periodically sent out to gather employee feedback on culture, management, and general office sentiment. However, after all was said and done, no appreciable actions were taken by management to address identified issues. It gave the impression that either your opinion wasn't being taken seriously or management didn't care much. People stopped taking the surveys seriously.

- Poor inter-team communication and collaboration. Sometimes, teams from different departments are at odds with each other in order to meet their own goals. Dedicated, accountable program/project management is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees have to say and give them honest responses about what you can and cannot do. Stop changing what you want to do every couple of months. Figure out a way to have dedicated inter-team project management.

"programmer assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology , some good people with opportunities to grow and develop. Opportunities to improve and be part of something

Cons

Line management , strategy , consistency and communication of what is needed to progress not too much more to say

Advice to Management

retain people , remain constant and go with the flow as opposed to against just because that is what we think we are supposed to

"Too much politics and favoritism, some people work very hard but it never gets recognized unless you are the favorite ."

Former Employee - Assembler in Hayward, CA
    Former Employee - Assembler in Hayward, CA

I worked at Proteus Digital Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have never worked for a company worse than this, your hard work never gets recognized and people are always hating on one another.

Cons

The challenges for working here is you always have to please the upper management and look around your back if you are the next one to get lay-off because you not of the favorite.

Advice to Management

Change management , the management you have right now will close the company down because they don't have experience in managing the company.