Proteus Technologies Member of Technical Staff Reviews | Glassdoor

Teresa M. Taylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"They Get it !!!"

Current Employee - Senior Member Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am a current employee and have worked for the company for the last 4 years. I can honestly say this in one of the few companies out there that actually get it. Competitive compensation with GREAT benefits. Many company events and tech talks to stay connected.

Cons

A couple of Prime contracts - great mission work.

Advice to Management

Thank you for keeping PROTEUS true to its roots and corporate culture. In a time where many companies change its colors - I have found PROTEUS to remain true to their word on corporate culture and company values.

"Roller Coaster"

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The gym, coffee bar and a talented engineering team. The Founders are very philanthropic with ALS their pet cause although I wished they would consider other causes as well

Cons

Meet and beat style of management from senior managers and executives.....like children sometimes instead of a Mature company. They need to grow up

Advice to Management

It may be your company but you need to treat people better instead of as a personal punching bag and then good people will want to stay instead of leave

3. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Member Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PROTEUS hires the best of the best software and system engineers. If you want to be part of the best of breed engineers in the business - then this is the place for you.

Cons

Software and System engineer focus - not a lot of System Admin or Infrastructure work.

"Selfish/demanding owner pushing his company down hill fast!"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent health, dental, vision, and vacation benefits.

Cons

Very poor management, Senior Leadership team has their hands tied because the owner will not allow them to do their jobs. He runs the company on his crazy whims and every changing demands with no consistency or concern for the negative impact he is causing. Benefits are being cut...they advertise $14k in tuition reimbursement but VERY rarely ever approve reimbursement requests, supplies are always out of stock, and IT goes around 'stealing' from one office or another because they are not allowed to purchase what is needed. Employees are treated as expendable and easily replaced. If you are a team lead or program manager, expect to work 70+ hours a week. The owner pro-ports that his company is work/life balance friendly, but if he wants something on a weekend, your vacation day, or 10pm....you better provide it ASAP. You always feel like you have to look behind your back because nothing is transparent and there is always an undercurrent of problems behind the scenes. I was 'asked' to switch from a successful project that I loved to one I had no interested in or desire to be on.....the request was not really a 'request' but an informational meeting telling me of the change. No viable reason was given for the change. Their two prime contracts were won at such a low rate, they are having trouble staffing them with qualified people. They used to hire the best and brightest, now it's the most affordable. Totally negative atmosphere. It is very difficult to watch competent and caring team leads and program managers pushed to the point of breaking and shunned when they attempt to stand up for their staff.

Advice to Management

The only appropriate advice to improve this company is for the owner to back out and let his excellent Sr. Leadership Team run the company for him.

"Smart people but at the end their bottom line is paramount."

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time

Pros

Proteus hired some of the top talent in the industry. You could be pretty confident that others in the company are smart and bright. They offer a very handsome compensation and benefits package. The onsite gym and cafe is a plus as well.

Cons

At the end of the day their bottom line is paramount. If you are on the bench or cannot find a project in a short amount of time you can pretty much say bye bye. This is typical of most smallish consulting firms. They really don't have a bench policy so to say. Maybe they would have a bench policy had they not had three full time recruiters for such a small company in addition to the high overhead of the office space they currently occupy.

Also, transparency is totally non-existent. If someone is fired, terminated, or leaves there is not a word about it. This is particularly disappointing considering the fact that it is such a small company. I think its worse to hear that someone was let go or left through the grapevine than to have an announcement about it.

Lastly, since it is a small company you will not really get to work with your bright co-workers because most likely you'll be placed on a project where you are the only Proteus employee.

Advice to Management

Please be more transparent. Institute some type of bench policy. Get rid of sick leave and lump it into regular leave.

"Short-timer, but so far, so good. Great opportunities, lots of contracts and positions, and lots of training available."

Current Employee - Junior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Junior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only been at the company for 6 months, but received training as soon as I started. The employees seem to have a great bond with one another, especially ones that have been there awhile; it is an encouraging environment with many talented engineers. The management has engaged with us in "Town Hall" meetings, which are held quarterly, they just started a mentorship pilot program for the employees, and we just recently won a prime contract. The All Hands at the end of last year was very informative (a little lengthy), but management really communicated where we are as a company and how we are doing financially, and the business opportunities we are chasing.

Cons

It is difficult to connect with other employees at Proteus when we are placed on a contract by ourselves. Some of the contracts only have 1 or 2 Proteus employees working on them, so that is disappointing since I am in that position right now.

Advice to Management

Just keep the lines of communication open and help us to win more prime contracts.

"Not Nearly As Bad As Other Reviews Make It Seem"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people (other engineers and front office staff)
    - Medical/Dental benefits
    - $14k for training and college
    - On site, high quality gym (not talking a couple of machines and a treadmill here)
    - Flex hours, pays for overtime hours (contract permitting)
    - Plenty of company events/gatherings
    - Fantastic process for keeping employees off the bench and on site during contract changes

Cons

- Woefully inadequate communication to employees from upper management (historically)
    - Will not pay you as much as a company that's running out of someone's garage

Advice to Management

One of the issues with anonymous sites like this is disgruntled former employees can take their frustrations out on a company; while current, happy employees have little-to-no incentive to post feedback. I've been with Proteus for about two years now, and while there have been some serious hiccups in it's recent history it's a small enough company to be able to implement changes and fix issues quickly - and this is exactly what they have been doing for some time now. Some of the issues that have been pointed out here WERE valid, some are serious exaggerations; but many of them have been addressed. An example of this is the company is getting significantly better at communicating and listening to it's technical staff (quarterly town halls and drastically more informative all-hands meetings), and it's really leaning on the employee advocacy group for ideas on how to improve, and acting on them.

I personally believe it's obvious that Proteus is trying to listen to our feedback and improve things, even though it's very easy to be overly negative. We have, as far as I can tell, industry leading benefits. I realize this is of little benefit if you're looking to squeeze every last dollar you can out of your time, but it's an important consideration for some people. Realistically, we're all billed at about the same rate on these contracts, so it's just a matter of finding what balance of benefits/pay is right for you. I like the balance here... you may see it has bloated overhead (in which case this is not the company for you).

I will say we hire high quality engineers and the core group we have here is great. There are plenty of social events to bond with your colleagues (soccer team, happy hours, Run for Your Lives) and I consider many of the people I work with good friends. All things considered, this is a company that is doing the absolute best it can to maintain it's identity in an industry that is extremely competitive and starved for talent/numbers (if you work in this industry, you know exactly what I mean).

That said, I do want to address one particularly ridiculous claim that was made below - "Not an ideal place for females wanting to advance in their career." This could not be further from the truth, and I have no idea where this accusation could even be coming from. The owner of the company is a female, and the primary manager overseeing all of Proteus' IC contracts is a female who started off as an engineer and has worked her way up. I will say that this company is an equally unideal place to "advance your career" for both males and females, depending on what your definition of career advancement is I suppose. By that I mean, if you're looking to chase titles you won't find it here - it's a relatively flat company structure; but if you want to become a better engineer by surrounding yourselves with other fantastic engineers, this is a perfect environment to do that.

"A company with so much potential, yet falls so short"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits that are hard to beat in the IC.
    Brilliant engineers

Cons

Low salaries for industry.
    Too much red tape on executive side and over analysis instead of action.
    Not an ideal place for females wanting to advance in their career.

Advice to Management

Get out of your own way and stop with the analysis paralysis. You need to take action instead of creating tiger teams that take months to solve anything. Learn to value those who are loyal and really listen to your employees. Employee advocacy groups are only effective when you take their suggestions and make them reality.
    Put some innovative and energetic leadership in place who can identify with and inspire your technical talent. What you have now is not working.

"Started off great and rapidly went downhill."

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*100% employer paid medical, dental and vision insurance
    *6 weeks paid time off
    *A few great coworkers
    *Hiring process

Cons

*Lack of leadership
    *Poor management
    *Unclear promotion path
    *Excessive overhead

Advice to Management

The recruiters were extremely efficient and prompt in returning calls, questions and getting the offer to you. (During my employment most recruiters left, which should have been a sign.) The benefits are top notch without a doubt. The first few months to a year I received many thanks and emails praising my work which was appreciated; however, it all stopped abruptly with constant management change. I will also say I was (briefly) able to work with some great coworkers which helped with the lack of salary.

It is understandable for a "brick-and-mortar" company to have overhead which obviously would reduce salary. It is also beneficial to have a bench if a contract ends before getting on a new contract. But the excessive amount of overhead really limits salaries. It is true that salary is not everything, but when management does not listen, occasionally mocks your ideas and suggestions it just is not worth it -- move on. Their promotion path is not clear at all, if you get X degree for example you might get a promotion/salary increase, you might not. If you put in extra hours performing interviews etc you might get a bonus, you might not.

10. "It's an alright job"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff

Pros

Challenging work. Good pay. Nice Benefits. Gym's a plus.

Cons

eh. seems to be pretty similar to any other government contractor. If you've done it once it's pretty similar.

Advice to Management

Everyone was friendly, but if you're looking to grab new talent out of college you got to ease up. The pitch is good I'd say, just mellow out. No one can output quality work for 8 hours a day. If you're an engineer you'll get burned out too fast. So encourage the project through team work, but maybe allow some time for employees to be creative and contribute. Too many times i see just code monkeys and not engineers.