Proteus Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Teresa M. Taylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Software Engineer"

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time

Pros

Great energy from those who aren't stressed out most of the time. When people aren't running around with their heads chopped off, it can be a very uplifting environment.

Cons

Leadership loves to gossip. If you can fit in, stay in as long as you can but remember who you are. It can be very hard to get on leaderships good side as they tend to love to gossip about their employees. Ignorance is bliss, so if you can avoid knowing about what they are saying, stay that way, otherwise leave the company, that kind of stress is not worth it when you are already stressed about your own projects.

Advice to Management

Grow up and quit gossiping. Read a book on keeping your organization healthy and united, not just on the outside for the Instagrammers and Tweeters, but from within the company. Talking about your own employee makes you look bad, especially when word gets around and the negative energy becomes the new norm. It can bring down the environment tremendously and make people really miserable.

2. "A great company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They let you go out on contract and didn't bother you too much. Managers were good about sharing info and keeping me up to date with company news

Cons

Not much - the company was a nice employer. Sometimes it was difficult/annoying to get over to the home office for meetings, but those were few and far between.

Advice to Management

Pay your people well and don't require us to attend meetings at the home office too often.

3. "It's only gotten better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fort George G Mead Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fort George G Mead Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering staff at Proteus are top notch, and very technologically savvy. They go thru great pains to ensure they do not fall into the common practice of 'heart beat and a clearance'. They're interviews are tough, but once in your are part of the engineering best - working with the best. The staff is not arrogant, but rather very accommodating and fun. The culture here is one of the best I've experienced in my 8 years of doing software development. The work life balance is right now - thank you.

Cons

The largest problem is that their 401K plan is not as rich as other locations, however they're initially salary compensation more than makes up for it.

Advice to Management

Let engineers be engineers. You've created something magnificent here, please don't screw it up like other companies I've been to..

"Great people - Meaningful Work - Lots of Growth Potential"

Current Employee - SWE in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - SWE in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love this place! Everyone is so supportive! I was bored in my last job, and Proteus keeps me challenged and keeps my skills sharp! Great team of employees!

Cons

It's a great work environment! My only issue is I wish I would have found this company sooner! You need to get the word out that Proteus takes care of their people! Best decision I could have made! Spread the word that Proteus has acquired multiple companies, because a lot of SWEs in my industry want to make a change and want future growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for giving me this opportunity to make a difference for my country!

5. "great leadership"

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time

Pros

Proteus says they care about their employees, and they actually mean it.

Cons

none really, except pretty much only one client. that may change with the recent merger however.

6. "Continue the excellent work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Meade, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management, open and honest about opportunity, changes, and willing to help out with anything. Upper management communicates with employees on all levels of the company in person.

Cons

Work opportunities are only in one location, would like to see opportunities in the midwest area. Remote work would be a great option, but no realistic based on their primary customer. The initial orientation/training wasn't very coordinated and HR doesn't respond in a timely manner, that would be the only negative thing I could think of about my experience there.

Advice to Management

Continue the excellent work, was happy during my time there. Keep the open door relationship with the employees.

"Roller Coaster"

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Annapolis Junction, MD

I worked at Proteus Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The gym, coffee bar and a talented engineering team. The Founders are very philanthropic with ALS their pet cause although I wished they would consider other causes as well

Cons

Meet and beat style of management from senior managers and executives.....like children sometimes instead of a Mature company. They need to grow up

Advice to Management

It may be your company but you need to treat people better instead of as a personal punching bag and then good people will want to stay instead of leave

8. "Growth & Change are encouraged!"

I have been working at Proteus Technologies full-time

Pros

• Company is not set on just "doing things as they've always been done". They're always open to suggestions of how we can be better and raise the bar a bit more.
    • They're willing to provide you with tools you need to grow, be that education, online courses, etc.
    • Pay is VERY competitive. When they see someone they want on the team, they really make it worth your while.
    • PERKS! Not only is there a pretty awesome gym for staff to use, but there are events all the time (something that companies are quick to cut out of a budget these days). Breakfasts, BBQ, employee outings, etc. All of these things add up to help employees connect with each other and make them feel more at home.
    • Flex time. This is the first company I've worked at that sounds like they actually know what they're talking about when they reference "Work/Life Balance". Just get your job done, and they will work with you!

Cons

• As with almost any company I've ever worked for, you sometimes have to go through several chains of command to get things approved and finished. If you're patient, though, it always gets done.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees exactly as you are - like genuinely respected co-workers, rather than lowly peons or something.

9. "Awesome"

Pros

awesomeness everywhere with incredible benefits and training
    everywhere.
    .benefits,....
    training....
    compensation

Cons

no complaints..mutual decision to split

"Misleading"

Pros

There are good people here.

Cons

I made the mistake of believing the assertion that the firm could put me to work on a contract in my field at the start of my employment. That promise evaporated on day 1. My mistake in not insisting on a contingent hire.