Protiviti Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Pros
  • The best work/life balance of any consulting firm (in 188 reviews)

• Excellent place to start a career for college graduates (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • And the work life balance makes it worth it (in 62 reviews)

• Most new hires out of college are placed in the Internal Audit & Finance Advisory practice (in 60 reviews)

1. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people (mostly)
    Culture is good
    Promotions done twice a year (mid-year and year-end)
    Work-life balance is good. I work no more than 40-45 hours a week

Cons

The work is dependent on the market (as is any consulting job)
    The work itself is not broad outside of audit (SOX, IT audits)
    Limited technical roles, outside of IT security testing.

Advice to Management

Adapt with newer forms of management and break away from old, traditional management styles.

2. "Good start for career in Audit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great vacation, good work/life balance at the entry level, fun work culture, health benefits have improved

Cons

Salary is less than competitive, advising is luck of the draw, weak 401K match, convoluted bonus plan. If you want to do Consulting, consider looking elsewhere - projects in TX are 80% audit.

Advice to Management

Be upfront that the work is heavily SOX/audit, especially when recruiting in TX schools (can't speak for rest of recruiting).

3. "It's the people"

Current Employee - IT Consulting Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consulting Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture with genuinely good people to work around. Work like balance is generally good with typically busy periods on projects. Regular and positive interactions with senior management.

Cons

Benefits are okay but other consulting firms are well above. Experienced hires aren't always integrated well leading to high turnover amongst that group. Salaries and overall talent of new hires is lower than at Big 4.

Nov 4, 2016 – HR Leader

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to cultivate an environment where employees feel valued and have direct access to leadership. Over the last year we have enhanced our on-boarding programs for ... More

4. "First year employee"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're given a lot of freedom on a daily basis
    Young, fun company
    A lot of opportunity to move up within the company

Cons

I feel like I'm given little to no direction on client work.
    Through my first year, I don't think Protiviti delivers on its promises to the clients.
    I've been moved on different clients after only 1-2 weeks, not allowing me to see projects through and understand the big picture

Advice to Management

Hire more people, the firm seems understaffed

"Controlling Project Manager"

Former Employee - Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Developer in Houston, TX

Pros

None that I know of right now.

Cons

Ran into a situation with an extremely controlling project manager that wasn't sorted out by his own management. Guy texted, called, and left countless voicemails AFTER he was told to only use corporate email systems and business meeting for communication. Awful. He's lucky. I mean he's VERY lucky that proper legal action wasn't taken against him.

Advice to Management

Sort out harrasment from guys on power trips.

6. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance as a consultant

Cons

Work life balance gets worse as you move up in the company.
    401k is terrible

Aug 1, 2016 – Director, Rewards and Recognition

I am pleased to hear that you have experienced positive work/life blend here at Protiviti - that is important to us and we have many programs to support work/life blend. We regularly benchmark ... More

7. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Excellent place to start a career for college graduates. Mentorship program is valuable for incoming hires as all levels seem to have stake in your career path. Young company.

Cons

Pay is at or below standard of Big 4. Chance of pidgeon-hole in internal audit / SOX work. Need to be forceful if desiring to work outside of your solution / industry.

Advice to Management

Very good company

"Flexibility"

Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Technology Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is great here! Start out with close to 20 vacation days and have never had a problem with using them. Most of us are working 40-45 hours max every week. The people here are great too! Everyone wants to succeed and will help you through challenging client needs. There are a ton of social events throughout the year including happy hours, town halls, golf tournaments, community service events etc.

Cons

The downside of this company is that we are heavy on audit. We do have some consulting but we really are heavy on internal audit and SOX. Our benefits could be better. 401k matching is very little however, management has said recently that they are working to improve that.

Advice to Management

Our revenues seem to be increasing every year. Give back to your employees and you will retain them longer!

"Good place to learn"

Current Employee - Experienced Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Experienced Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

Protiviti is big enough where you can get varied experience (IA, Process improvement, IT consulting) and small enough to get recognized for your hardwork. Management is friendly. The team overall is young and fun. They love people with big 4 experience.

Cons

Protiviti is growing and it is growing fast but it is still not a recognized brand- does not do much for your resume. Because it is growing, they have more resource needs than people. You are often a body who is placed on projects regardless of our career goals or what you may have been promised during the interview. You are told to talk to your career advisor but it often falls on deaf ears as business needs in a rapidly growing office supersede everything else. Get ready for a lot of SOX. - their main sell to clients is SOX. The turn over is ridiculous! Many year 1 and 2 consultants get some experience and jump ships.

NEGOTIATE YOUR SALARY! I didn't negotiate and found out I am significantly underpaid compared to my peers. They will tell you it is because of the experience XYZ brings but it is incorrect. NEGOTIATE!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's needs when it comes to staffing.
    Continue with your friendly corporate culture.
    401K is sub par.

"Great Place to Start and Grow Your Career"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

I'll add my voice to the chorus and say that our people make the difference at Protiviti. At the most basic level, if you love who you work with, then work becomes something you look forward to. But Protiviti goes beyond that - our people drive the unique and exceptional culture at our company. From a new consultant to senior management, our people are given opportunities to take on important responsibilities that shape Protiviti. Whether it is participating in recruiting or planning an event for our i on Hunger campaign, our employees have the chance to make a difference not only within our company but also within our community.

Cons

Compensation could always be better, but that is offset by a strong vacation policy and commitment to work/life balance. I'd like to see more of a push for flexible work arrangements.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - as we continue to grow as a company, remember to stay true to our unique culture and enthusiasm.

Jul 7, 2015 – VP-People & Culture

Thanks for your comments on the satisfaction you have working alongside your Protiviti peers. Our people are the best thing about working here! Regarding flexible work arrangements (FWA), we are in ... More

Showing 47 of 1,027 reviews