Protiviti Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 16, 2019
1,223 reviews

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance with flexible hours" (in 230 reviews)

• "An amazing place to start a career without a doubt" (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • "keine Work-Life-Balance, sonst eigentlich nichts" (in 81 reviews)

• "Internal Audit is my primary function and it is boring to the extreme, but there is a great deal of demand for it and the pay is decent" (in 77 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Where colleagues become family"

Pros

Incredible culture, strong leadership, great opportunities for growth, amazing company, unique benefits available, strong focus on work life balance

Cons

High cost for healthcare, pay is OK/average

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing!

Jul 5, 2018 – U.S. Campus Recruiting Lead

Thank you for taking time to leave a review! I could not agree more with the title of your review "Where colleagues become family", as many people at Protiviti have supported me professionally and... More

2. "Senior Consultant II"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant II in Houston, TX

I worked at Protiviti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People
    Culture
    Work/Life Balance
    Adviser Program
    Exposure to Management

Cons

Some client work may involve extended travel on a weekly basis

Jun 7, 2018 – Director of Recruiting

I love to hear that you had a great experience working at Protiviti. As with most consulting firms, our projects do require travel from time to time. We have some team members who love this and... More

3. "It's What You Make It!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We're growing and there's endless opportunities to leave you mark. If you're a rockstar, you'll shine. People are chill.

Cons

Travel is a b*tch. Client work can sometimes be less than fulfilling.

Advice to Management

Make sure ALL employees are on the same page on what we are driving towards. Also, be sure to include everyone in the conversation.

Jan 14, 2019 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your candid feedback. We take a "for all" approach in the work that we do, so focusing on giving everyone the same level of opportunity is a strong focus for us. We will continue to... More

"Great People, Tedious work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here at Protiviti really care. They take care of the people around them and will go out of their way to help you out.

Cons

The day to day work is pretty tedious. Internal Audit is my primary function and it is boring to the extreme, but there is a great deal of demand for it and the pay is decent.

Advice to Management

Allow greater information for lateral movement within the organization if a certain type of work is not fulfilling an employees desired career goals.

Jan 14, 2019 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. I encourage you to share your desire to work in another solution or industry with your career advisor and HR leader. They can help you create an actionable plan to... More

5. "Great place to start career."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great young culture good place to start a career if uninterested in Big 4.

Cons

Bad benefits and manager positions.

Jan 14, 2019 – Director of Recruiting

We welcome the opportunity to learn more about the benefit areas that you would like to see enhanced. Please feel free to share your feedback with your local HR leader. Related to the manager... More

6. "IT Manager TSO"

Current Employee - IT Consultant/Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant/Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomy, work from home, get to keep travel points

Cons

Pay is less than market. No extra pay for considerable travel. Middle and Senior Mgmt. lack leadership.

Jan 14, 2019 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. I encourage you to discuss your pay and leadership concerns with your local HR Leader and/or career advisor so we can address specifics. We would welcome the... More

"Bait and Switch"

Current Employee - Manager, Technology in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager, Technology in Austin, TX

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is what you make of it. It's a great launching point to build some of those soft skills you want to develop in a safe space.

Cons

It's not a place to get serious about developing deep technical competencies long term.

Advice to Management

Find a way to keep your talent. They are leaving left and right for better opportunities, and you will continue to lose talent aka exodus by shipping off newer consultants to do the work that you need specialized skill sets to execute. Clients are not blind to that. They will pick up that you are not being genuine in efforts to win work based on having the right resources available to do the work. As well, stop accepting just the work that you can win which is uninteresting to our consulting workforce. MDs are doing that because they are selfishly looking at their bottom line. Your workforce will leave because their work is less impactful even if the pay is consistent with that level of effort. This is not a model that will sustain itself. People want to be valued in their efforts and be compensated for it. People want to be engaged in what they do. If no one is looking out for them, they have to look out for themselves. Generally speaking though, management comes across as "trying to be fair", but we know you've already picked your favorites. Promotions are no surprises per se but reviewing the past cycles of promotions, you can see that management wasn't really very hard.

8. "Good for meeting friends"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Made some great friends, but that’s about it

Cons

Terrible management
    - advisors are not necessarily the best and not looking out for your best interest.
    Management clearly shows favorites- sometimes not necessarily based on their work product
    Unless if you get into one of the more interesting risk and compliance project, they’re mostly mindless work, that don’t really help you grow or use those skills elsewhere. Luckily I was able to take my experience before protiviti elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Be fair to everyone

"Really do your research before you decide to work here"

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Better entry level pay than Big 4
    - Good mentorship program (if you are fortunate to have proactive mentors)
    - Good opportunity for new college grads to gain exposure to other industries/companies

Cons

- Commutes are very time-consuming for west coast offices (for ex. it is not uncommon to ask a SF resource to attend a San Jose project for months)
    - If you are placed in the IAFA solution, you will not have much opportunity for work beyond SOX audits since that is the extent of the work sold (in the Bay Area office). Rarely do people do proper consulting work.
    - Trainings are very basic, not technical, and usually not that relevant to fieldwork. You learn on the job if you are lucky enough to have someone who will take the time to explain and properly critique your work.
    - Blatant lack of diversity in most offices. Recruiting for the SF office is done primarily from one feeder school, which fosters a cliquey environment for campus new hires. This could easily be improved as there is much local talent in the Bay Area. Certain members of management appear to be aware of this.
    - Many projects are underbid and/or oversold (this is how the work is won), which means there is often overtime and a lack of resources on projects.
    - Certain management teams are clueless and lack a lot of technical/analytical skills/experience. On the flip, there are some very bright, talented members of management that are a pleasure to work with. However, usually they end up leaving.
    -Lastly, like any company, there is the political game to navigate in the office. Your success will largely be determined on who you align yourself with; not necessarily your work ethic and technical knowledge. The politics at Protiviti are seemingly more apparent and difficult to avoid than that of a Big 4 because the Protiviti office sizes are smaller than Big 4.

Something to keep in mind as you continue your job search, the experience at Protiviti is very dependent upon your office location and the primary management teams you work with (similar to Big 4). If you are someone looking for a more technical experience, legitimate and recognized training, and better exit opportunities, I would look towards Big 4 for your career development/first few years. You may work slightly less hours at Protiviti, but the overall value of your experience and time is much bigger in the long run at a Big 4.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of work to be done to make the Protiviti SF office a desirable and sustainable employer in the Bay Area market. To start, the work won could be under more realistic timelines and budgets to avoid burning out your staff, which leads to the rapid turnover being seen. The culture could be improved by diversifying the channels of recruiting to maximize inclusion. The burden of long commutes could be addressed by normalizing more flexible commuting options or adding additional compensation for all heavy commuters. Additionally, recruiting could be a little more transparent with the primary work done (SOX audits), commutes, culture, etc. I wish management and the company the best of luck in improving the work environment in the Bay Area office.

10. "Everything You Hear About the Culture is True"

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As you conduct research about the company, or as you spend time at recruiting events or interviews, you will consistently hear that the best part of working at Protiviti is the culture. After just over one year of working here, I can confidently say that Protiviti's culture is the best I have ever experienced. Its people are incredibly supportive, positive, and jovial; management is accessible and intelligent; and the work-life balance is the best in the industry.

Cons

None for me personally. Some employees have expressed frustration with Protiviti's sales credit system, however, management seems to be working on overhauling the system in the near future.

Jan 14, 2019 – Director of Recruiting

I am happy to hear you have had a great experience working in our NY office. Thank you for your feedback!