Protiviti Reviews | Glassdoor

Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

1,016 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The best work/life balance of any consulting firm (in 198 reviews)

• An amazing place to start a career without a doubt (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Compensation is traded for work/life balance (in 68 reviews)

• Most new hires out of college are placed in the Internal Audit & Finance Advisory practice (in 66 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic Growing Consulting Company with a very Positive Market Outlook"

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Personnel career advancement directly based upon effort, performance and willingness support the Firm
    - Healthy diversity at all levels
    - Family style consulting with an objective to grow everyone's capabilities and experience
    - Willingness to listen and action good ideas

Cons

- Ability to achieve client sourcing and budgetary needs
    - Lack of direct investment in high demand services and solutions
    - Limitations in clarity around career advancement

Advice to Management

- Continue to support growing service offerings
    - Better evaluate financial and non-financial benefits compared to Big 4
    - Consider spinning off from Robert Half, this will reduce some negative perspectives around staff augmentation concerns

Apr 28, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for the feedback and review. You are right that we want to hear from our people and appreciate you taking the time to share your ideas and concerns. On the limitations around clarity in... More

2. "I could see myself here for a long time"

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Protiviti is an awesome place. I absolutely think I want to spend a very long time here. So far, I've had the flexibility of being on a few projects, and yes, Protiviti has a larger audit function than most consultants would prefer, but I am definitely learning a lot. There is excellent training and the support from senior management is second to none. The entire office (and company outside of my office) has been extremely supportive since I've joined and the adviser program is one of the highlights with great horizonal and vertical support from the team. I am excited to see how my first couple years go as I work toward getting projects that align slightly closer to my interests.

Cons

Overall, not many complaints, and even knowing these before I started, it wouldn't have changed my decision to accept. 401(k) match is below industry standard and I feel like adding a gym incentive / reimbursement would align well with G2E and be consistent with Protiviti's other goals for compensation. I do appreciate being able to expense some of my phone bill ($30).

The only significant con I would suggest is work life balance is a bit too lax. This might be a weird sentiment, but I wish there was an opportunity to work 70-80hrs/week. I feel like I can bring more value to the table working more, which will allow me to continue to learn more and ultimately bring more value to the clients as well over time. As a young consultant, I would much prefer be swamped than have extra free time as my peers are working harder hours accelerating their development. This may be some fault of my own, so over the next few months I'm making it my goal to express this desire, and hopefully (working with the awesome staffing team) I'll have an opportunity to work more hours. And yes, I'm salaried, so the main benefit I would derive is more exposure to clients and internal teams and new projects and industries.

Advice to Management

Continue the excellent push for development in the company (internal members and selling more work).

Continue the great development opportunities (TCC was outstanding).

3. "Good place to work"

I worked at Protiviti full-time

Pros

Great people, relatively small so easy to utilize network

Cons

lower pay in comparison to other firms

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture and people. Frequent office-wide activities that are actually fun (happy hours and such). Relatively younger employee-base which makes it a great work environment for starting a career out of college. Good benefits (insurance, paid time off, flexibility to relocate, certification reimbursement).

Cons

Relatively low compensation compared to industry average, especially considering the number of hours worked for most projects. The actual work is tedious, but that's more the industry and not Protiviti. The heavily advertised benefit of "great work/life balance" is not accurate for most lower-level consultants.

5. "Internal Audit Consultant - Good work life balance SOX audits are not exciting."

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life "blend", flexibility, and firm culture. The firm really does care about the will being of their people. The people you work with are typically easy going.

Cons

The firm is young. It is often hard to find good strong mentors as everyone seems to be figuring it out as they go along. It works, the people are smart, but you really have to be a self starter and future out a lot of matters on your own.

The feedback structure is SLOW and painful. It makes figuring out our career and what metrics to manage even more difficult.

Advice to Management

Refine your mentorship program. The iPal/career advisor/executive advisor system is pretty broken. Train your leadership in mentorship.

Fix your feedback structure. The review system was redone recently and it is even more painful and arduous than before. Force feedback to provide SPECIFIC goals your workforce and attain.

6. "Pro"

Pros

Amazing culture, great work-life balance, superb management team, wonderful learning/career opportunities

Cons

Pay is average compared to other consulting firms however the work life balance makes it worth it.

Sep 8, 2017 – Senior Manager

Thank you for the feedback and review. We know our employees need balance along with challenging work and opportunity. The incentive compensation plan is a great supplement to our pay that... More

"Internal audit firm"

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

-Good bonus for seniors
    -Good opportunity for client interaction

Cons

-This is an internal audit firm NOT a consulting firm. True risk consulting projects are far and few.
    -Leadership is not diverse
    -Weak management
    -Poor staffing model

Advice to Management

Be transparent about the work we do during the recruiting process. Listen to consultants/seniors. Set a better tone at the top.

8. "Brief review"

I have been working at Protiviti (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people and open door policy.
    Work life balance.
    Flexibility with scheduling.

Cons

Work towards scaling practices.
    Develop internal audit methodology.
    Expand technical training's.

Advice to Management

Provide more insight into compensation ranges by level. Give employees and idea of future compensation at different levels (i.e., Director and Managing Director levels).

"Manager"

Pros

work culture was good - people were nice.

Cons

very long hours. less flexibility

10. "Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - IAFA Consultant
    Current Employee - IAFA Consultant

I have been working at Protiviti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- awesome people
    - accessible management
    - diverse work opportunities
    - continual learning/development is fostered
    - good compensation and time off

Cons

- requires travel
    - client service means you might have to deal with some difficult people

Sep 1, 2017 – HR Project Specialist

Hello! Thank you for the feedback. We are so glad to see that you are enjoying your experience here at Protiviti!

Showing 1,016 of 1,088 reviews