Protiviti Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The best work/life balance of any consulting firm (in 190 reviews)

• An amazing place to start a career without a doubt (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • And the work life balance makes it worth it (in 64 reviews)

• Most new hires out of college are placed in the Internal Audit & Finance Advisory practice (in 64 reviews)

1. "Good... until they drop you for no reason"

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Protiviti as an intern

Pros

Fun, Good People, Interesting Work, and Good Perks

Cons

Would not give full time offer for no concrete reasoning, which is not okay. Future Interns stay well aware that this company will drop you for no good reasons, even if your performance evaluations come back good.

Aug 15, 2017 – U.S. Campus Recruiting Lead

Thank you for your review, your feedback is very important to us. I am pleased to see you had fun, experienced good people, enjoyed our work and received perks during the summer. During the... More

2. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Protiviti full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the Columbus Circle location.

Cons

Many changes but if you are okay with the ups and downs...

Jul 7, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. We appreciate your feedback!

"I wouldn't recommend it..."

Former Employee - Consultant II
    Former Employee - Consultant II

I worked at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good option for people who enjoy their work-life balance and limited travel. Most of the people there are also friendly.

Cons

Although they like to brand their practice to also include consulting, it's really more like an internal audit firm. Often campus hires are tagged as part of the technology consulting practice, but mostly were staffed on internal audit/SOX projects; mostly because there's not always enough consulting projects to go around.

I'll give them credit for trying to expand their practice by adding true consulting lines of service, however they don't seem to have the background and experience to execute those types of projects. Many times they have a "we'll figure it out when we get there" attitude. People are then thrown into these projects and expected to execute the work with little to no guidance, and when it fails management accepts no responsibility. Essentially there's a mismatch between what they tell clients they can execute, and the needed knowledge and resources' ability to perform these projects.

Advice to Management

It really doesn't do anyone a favor to sell potential hires on promises that you know can't be delivered. Just be honest about what can actually offer to campus and experienced hires. That way it's all clear from the beginning and no one is disappointed.

Jun 1, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thanks for your review. I hate to hear that we did not meet your expectations in an employer. We try to be as transparent as possible during the recruiting process, talking through the type of work... More

"NEW COLLEGE HIRES - PLEASE read!"

Former Employee - Enterprise Content Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Content Management Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Protiviti full-time

Pros

The company culture seems excellent. The company seems to be growing at a rapid pace, so much so, that there is competitive seating in the office. They are expanding their offerings to better compete with other larger consulting firms. Also, they seem to invest a lot in their employees by providing extensive training, such as the consulting challenge.

Cons

My Pros all say "seemed" in them, because I got hired several months ago and never actually got to start work. I was extended an offer in November and was promised by my new manager that they would start me sometime around January/February although the "official start date" was March. When March rolled around and I inquired about why I didn't have a set start date yet, I was informed that my start date was being deferred to sometime between July and September because client acquisition was slow for the team that I was supposed to be working on. I talked to everyone I possibly could to get this changed because, as a fresh college grad, I didn't have many resources to survive on and I was counting on this new job (which I let them know numerous times). I tried to change teams, requested my signing bonus early, tried to work with Robert Half for some temporary work, but Protiviti wouldn't budge and Robert Half didn't work out. I eventually ended up finding another job.

BEFORE YOU ACCEPT YOUR FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT OFFER, I URGE YOU TO GET YOUR START DATE IN WRITING.

Deferring my start date had a significant impact on my life and I would really hate for that to happen to someone else.

Aside from that, I would advise taking what Protiviti employees say about booming client acquisition with a grain of salt, especially since they get nice big referral bonuses.

Advice to Management

Remove "mutually agreed upon start date" from your employment contract. Plan better for new hires. Be more honest about the state of the company when campus recruiting. Also, deferring someones employment for months has a serious financial impact on the deferred party. If this happens again in the future, I would advise providing some sort of reimbursement or assistance to deferred individuals. This would certainly help retention and reduce negative impacts on company reputation.

May 23, 2017 – U.S. Campus Recruiting Lead

Thank you for taking time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that Protiviti did not live up to your expectations. This is a very important time in your life as you are transitioning from college... More

5. "Good people, bad work"

I have been working at Protiviti full-time

Pros

The people at the company are great to be around and work with

Cons

The work is not intellectually stimulating or challenging and is generally just production style projects

"Wouldn't recommend if you want to do true consulting work"

I worked at Protiviti full-time

Pros

- Great if you like SOX/Audit
    - Great if you like "clique"-like environments
    - Committees to join and get involved / network within your company
    - Bonuses 1x/year
    - Raises 2x/year
    - HSA account option
    - 50% matching for charity

Cons

- Advertise that SOX/Audit equates to Consulting
    - Advertise that staff augmentation equates to Business Process Improvement
    - Benefits are expensive
    - Claim to have maternity and family benefits - they're not really helpful
    - You only get 1/3 of your 401K matched IF you select for them to take 6% of your salary AND bonuses (professional services usually has lower benefits than industry, but this is pretty low in comparison to competitors)
    - Parental leave is terrible (men or "secondary caregivers" only get 1 week and women or "primary caregivers" get 4 weeks and the remainder has to be short term disability)
    - Inconsiderate of people's interests - they really only staff you to meet their wants and needs even though they say they'll take into consideration what you want to do
    - Minimal recognition for what employees do for the ones that go above and beyond; tons of recognition for the ones who do the bare minimum and occasionally "shine"
    - Nickel and dime employee's expense reports (example: they'd rather you take a connecting flight and waste 6 hours of your time than a direct flight to take 2 hours that would cost only $50 more)
    - Bias between males/females and minorities/non-minorities
    - Compensation was below average in comparison to peers at other firms

Advice to Management

Stop using generic boilerplate responses to your employees. Be transparent and honest. You can't expect to retain your people when you're not honoring your word. Don't say you value diversity when your leadership doesn't reflect it - diversity isn't only inclusive of diverse professional backgrounds; it includes gender, ethnicity and cultural backgrounds too. Don't preach work/life balance when employees who have children get ridiculed for balancing the two, even though the employees are still giving 100%+ to their clients.

"Protiviti is a marketing machine - Buyer beware..."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Protiviti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good place to launch your career but think twice before joining as an experienced professional.

Protiviti produces very high quality work.

They pay for training and offer good benefits.

Great company for you if you are a "go getter" and "self-starter" -> You will need to be in order to be successful here.

Cons

When you join Protiviti you feel like you are joining a great firm with tremendous upside to career growth but once on board, good luck ! You are on your own and must create your own success stories.

There are barriers to success. They will make you pay your dues and earn your stripes. Probably takes over a year to get comfortable here but very often by that time consultants check out or move on since skills are in high demand. I.e. High turnover.

New hires are often left with little or no direction and become disenchanted as they sit on the bench or they get put on projects no one wants to do.

There is very high turnover which has led to longer tenured employees being over worked as they pick of the slack from the revolving door. This also leads to resentment of new employees coming since they aren't carrying their weight. Upper management just accepts this and there doesn't be any care about it.

Very hard to integrate if you are an experience professional. Double standards among longer tenured employees and petty office politics can lead to a toxic and uncomfortable culture to be a part of.

Senior leadership lacks dignity towards new hires and there is a sense of arrogance throughout the culture due to their recent growth and success.

Most employees tends to be out for their own self interest. There is a teaming quality component at Protiviti in how you're judged, but it is total bs, and it tends to become a popularity contest; where you are judged on if people like you rather than your work.

HR is clueless when it comes to these issues because they can point to the consistent quarter over quarter impressive growth. Wake up!

If you don't integrate well here politically they will phase you out or eventually you will be let go...

Advice to Management

Stop hiring consultants without a clear vision of what you are hiring them for!!! Hiring top talent is a good strategy, but Protiviti has no strategy on retaining it or how to assimilate it amongst the team or longer tendered employees.

Managing directors are way out of touch with reality when it comes to what goes on from day to day.

Citing consulting as having a "high turnover" is not exceptional.

Develop your own sales force. Directors and managers are so concerned with selling they don't have time to lead a team or mentor newer employees.

Protiviti claims it cares so much about its clients but it will place a consultant on a job with little or no experience in what they are doing just so that they can bill hours...

"Protiviti Internship"

Pros

Great training program, made some great friends (many of which did not accept full time)

Cons

Very laid back, catty culture

"Undelivered Promises"

Pros

The greatest thing Protiviti has going for them are its people and culture. However, lately, management is sacrificing what makes Protiviti's culture unique to satisfy its clients. If it wasn't for the amazing people here, most people would be out the door.

Cons

Protiviti has serious trouble delivering on their promises. The new consultants were promised real consulting work, opportunity to travel, client exposure, and industry experience. Instead they have been consistently on production based projects that are mind-numbing, offer little to no learning experience, and do not offer any client exposure. In addition, management's role on the production projects has been very poor. The skill sets needed to run these large engagements has not been demonstrated by the current management. Lastly, if the consultants are being asked to sacrifice their work life balance for these production engagements, it would only be fair to compensate them for their hard work.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Don't promise things that you cannot deliver. If production work is the only type of work that R&C can win right now, then share this with your people.

"Good company, lots of sox work"

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Protiviti (More than a year)

Pros

mostly great people, management is very accessible

Cons

lots of sox work and gossip

Showing 116 of 1,069 reviews