Protiviti Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Protiviti President and CEO Joseph A. Tarantino
Joseph A. Tarantino

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The best work/life balance of any consulting firm (in 188 reviews)

• An amazing place to start a career without a doubt (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • And the work life balance makes it worth it (in 63 reviews)

• Most new hires out of college are placed in the Internal Audit & Finance Advisory practice (in 64 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fantastic Growing Consulting Company with a very Positive Market Outlook"

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Personnel career advancement directly based upon effort, performance and willingness support the Firm
    - Healthy diversity at all levels
    - Family style consulting with an objective to grow everyone's capabilities and experience
    - Willingness to listen and action good ideas

Cons

- Ability to achieve client sourcing and budgetary needs
    - Lack of direct investment in high demand services and solutions
    - Limitations in clarity around career advancement

Advice to Management

- Continue to support growing service offerings
    - Better evaluate financial and non-financial benefits compared to Big 4
    - Consider spinning off from Robert Half, this will reduce some negative perspectives around staff augmentation concerns

Protiviti Response

Apr 28, 2017 – Director of Recruiting

Thank you for the feedback and review. You are right that we want to hear from our people and appreciate you taking the time to share your ideas and concerns. On the limitations around clarity in... More

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

People - nothing else needs to be said! This is the strongest attribute of any consulting firm and should always be a key consideration when thinking about joining a firm.

Cons

It's a Public consulting firm - this puts limits on the ability to invest in people as we are forced to manage to quarterly results as opposed to the long term viability and growth of the business. The Partership model provides a little more balance on this - of course that's all dependent on the partnership!

Advice to Management

Listen to your people - invest for the long haul - keep focused on quality.

"Fun and energetic place to work."

Current Employee - Consultant II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant II in New York, NY

Pros

Protiviti has a great culture and a laid back atmosphere. The work is interesting and there is a lot of opportunity for personal growth and developing new skills. The company is relatively new, so there is still a bit of the 'young company' feel to the culture. From recognition and work-life balance perspectives, it is definitely better then the Big 4.

Cons

Some people travel a lot. There have been layoffs this year, but it isn't any different than what has been going on with other firms in the industry.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the consultants and senior consultants have a solid grasp of what is going on with the high-level strategy of the company. Keep us tuned in and keep us motivated.

"it's a great place to work with an excellent work-life balance, managers who care"

Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technology Risk Consultant I in New York, NY

Pros

Protiviti Inc, provides an excellent work/life balance. You won't be working 80 hours a week like in comparative companies and the salaries are just as competitive. The people are young and energetic. The managers are all down to earth and listen to your concerns. Only the best get promoted at Protiviti, keeping the Senior Management at the peak. You work hard and you will be rewarded for it. Protiviti is a great company involved in every industry in the world. Get exposure to everything and no two days will be the same.

Cons

They can use a little work in the Benefits area.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"A vibrant company with excellent personal and professional growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

-Future market opportunities due to impending market regulation. I feel with the financial crisis, top management is focused on creating opportunities leveraging our expertise in these areas.
    -Positive atmosphere. I work with high-quality, highly competent people which make my job much more fulfilling.
    -Structured environment/methodologies

Cons

-Travel. However, I enjoy the per diems and various other benefits of traveling.
    -Potential to perform meaningless work. On some jobs, in order to stay "chargeable" which positively affects many management and personal metrics, the work can sometimes be meaningless.

Advice to Management

-During the layoff periods, I would have liked to have seen them communicate directly with us about the changes, which they did not. When communication isn't made during these times, speculation and anxiety reaches unnecessary levels.

"Limitless potential"

Current Employee - Upper Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Upper Management in New York, NY

Pros

Protiviti has good people, and good clients. In NY, you don't need to travel that much, and there are many oppurtunities to focus on projects and industries that you like.
    At Protiviti, you are rewarded for your hard work, it's plain and simple. Put in you time, learn to do the work, use common sense, and follow through on what you promise, and you will be rewarded, very well rewarded.
    As you move up the firm, you need to look at the company as your private firm, and always look for ways to improve things.

Cons

Learning the fundamentals can sometimes be boring, but you are rewarded over time. You also have to enjoy working long hours, not as bad as Pblic but a lot more than Private industry.

Advice to Management

Focus, sell and let's grow the business. Don't be short-sighted.

"Benefits far outweigh the downsides"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

The company is great for career progression. New responsibilities are given for each new project you are on and feedback is provided on a regular basis. Upper management does a great job of communicating key issues and will answer questions honestly. The work/life balance is great, although it also depends on your project. Some projects have been known to work very long hours but, for the most part, the work week does not extend past 40-45 hours per week. This is all dependent on the managers on your project but most are reasonable. Compensation is fair - and I am not complaining - but competing companies generally do pay better. The work/life balance is great, especially for consulting work.

Cons

Protiviti is going through a rough patch right now due to the economy, along with most companies. I cannot blame Protiviti as its business model is dependent on the economic landscape as a whole - and that is what we agreed to when we signed up. I can only hope that cutbacks will be minimal and that the company will be able to ride out the storm largely unscathed.

Most of the work has been SOX related in the past, although there is now a sizable and noticeable increase the amount of solutions based work. The transition is a good one, but may be challenging with the economy.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to control hiring. Hopefully cutbacks will be kept to a minimum, but it would not be fair to these people if a wave of new hires arrives shortly after. Other than that, keep communication strong and let us know what is going on.

"Great place to start & stay for 2 to 3 years. Experience consulting, find your niche and move to industry."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant (Technology) in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant (Technology) in New York, NY

Pros

Career advancement opportunities are abundant. Managers are really helpful and even senior management is accessible (at times). If you want to join a niche team, it's not that hard, you just have to talk to people in HR.

Cons

I don't always agree with the promotions and I think politics plays a role there. The whole promotions process is opaque. Extreme cost cutting measures might start to encroach upon benefits, but that is just speculation.

Advice to Management

Diversity the solutions and have a balance between things. Protiviti cannot continue to be so reliant on internal audit and SOX work. There's a lot that can be done on the technology side to generate more business.

"Great experience and interesting work byt hit hard by the downturn (strategy is in flux)."

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Opportunity, learning, great people, variety of interesting work. Their internship was real work and I got a chance to see what they're all about. Other internships were all sizzle and no steak. The people are very competent, and the commitment to integrity and objectivity is obvious. The secret is to stay busy on client work - be willing to do anything and go anywhere.

Cons

Future offerings and business strategy are evolving with market. Public company versus Big 4, so there is more visibility when hard time hit. Yes, the work is hard but they take care of you. SOmetimes it feels like they're struggling to figure out whether they're going to be Internal Audit or Consulting. I guess it's hard to be both, but to me it looks like IA pays the bills around here.

Advice to Management

Sell. LIghten up.

10. "Great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Pros

great people - energy to change

Cons

need to think long term

Advice to Management

develop long term investment strategy

Showing 983 of 1,050 reviews