Provenance Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Provenance Hotels Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2019

Found 10 reviews

2.6
Provenance Hotels CEO  (no image)
  1. "pros and cons"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Provenance Hotels full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are truly interested in your well being

Cons

They lack some depth in some of the disciplines.

Provenance Hotels2019-04-17
  2. "Great Benefits, and locations"

I have been working at Provenance Hotels full-time

Pros

Benefits locations Hr department Communication between HR and staff 401k package

Cons

ability to transfer between departments

Provenance Hotels2019-03-26

"Money-hungry, greedy management"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent/Valet in Portland, OR

I worked at Provenance Hotels full-time for more than a year

Pros

They do promote from within quite a bit. I've seen front desk agents move into corporate positions that they would not have qualified for as outside applicants.

Cons

Of all the hotel jobs that I have had, this has to be the worst. I'm just going to list things out here in no particular order or importance: - You are expected to make your money either through tips (valet) or selling upgrades (front desk agents). So unless you are able to coax the managers into scheduling you on the busy shifts and have a sales background, you'll just make a crappy minimum wage. Which the... managers do play favorites and make promises to get people hired. - They will hire you with the promise of a full time job but you are required to take a 30-minute lunch on your 8-hour shift. That's 2.5 hours a week that they short you in pay and that can add up really quickly. And if you clock in before or after your scheduled time, rest assured your manager will write you up. - You will never have a consistent schedule and the schedules are hardly out on time. So good luck guessing what shift you're going to be on and trying to plan anything outside of work. I'm pretty sure there are laws about putting up schedules in a timely manner but that's of no value to Provenance. - You have to explain to guests what the absolutely ridiculous facility fees are and deal with the wrath of perfectly reasonable guests trying to understand this nonsense fees. - Management is very quick to waive it for smart guests who catch it and complain about it but a lot of unsuspecting guests end up paying an extra $23 per night fee. They charge for literally everything but tack on these fees just to see if they can make that extra buck. "Boutique" is just code for not up to reasonable hotel standards. Most rooms are small, old and dingy. - Employee and friend and family rates are a joke and dependent on manager approval and are particularly biased towards corporate employees. That's okay though, I wouldn't want to stay in any of these pretentious properties anyway. Last I heard, their newest Portland property didn't even have complimentary coffee/tea in rooms for guests. And a bottle of water will cost you $8 to $10. - Employees don't even get discounts at the on-site restaurants. - Training for new employees is non-existent. You will be thrown to the wolves and be put on schedule by yourself before you are ready. With all the Provenance-specific nonsense, you will be left looking like a fool. I've seen people quit on the spot or just not show up. - No uniforms but they expect you to dress well and pay for it yourself. Way too stressful for what they pay you. I would avoid it at all costs.

Advice to Management

How about you focus on treating your employees at least half as well as you treat the customers. Get rid of the facility fees or make it super clear for customers so they know before they book. Train your employees. Maybe then you won't have such high turnover.

Provenance Hotels2019-03-21
  4. "Employee treatment is lackluster"

I have been working at Provenance Hotels full-time

Pros

Pays better than most

Cons

Poor company communication and interpersonal communication.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees

Provenance Hotels2018-11-30
  5. "Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Guest Service Agent in Portland, OR

I worked at Provenance Hotels full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard-working staff & coworkers, beautiful work environment, benefit of staying at other properties

Cons

Limited career mobility, low pay, dysfunctional & often downright misogynistic management, no HR structures

Provenance Hotels2017-10-14
  6. "Bartender"

I worked at Provenance Hotels full-time

Pros

convenience location, close to downtown Nashville and airport

Cons

I did work for this hotel for 3 weeks, the manager of the food and beverage not professional, she did try to screw me on my pay check she did not summit all my hours, I took the matter to the accountant she did try to find excuse that she forgot and she asked the accountant not to pay me over time, also in my interview I told her i can only work 4 nights, she was fine with it but when my pay check was short and did... complain about it she fired me, the bar was nasty and unclean, the fruit fly everywhere, she wants me to do lots of work, room service, bar and restaurant at same time, she have no skills or knowledge how to run a business. the hotel located in Nashville TN

Advice to Management

get a new food and beverage manager.

Provenance Hotels2017-06-24
  7. "Boutique experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Provenance Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growing company with modern culture

Cons

New company still developing culture

Provenance Hotels2017-01-02

"Horrible management"

I worked at Provenance Hotels

Pros

Free parking. Free beer. Decent wage if you ask for it. Free employee lunches every pay period. If you mess up, managers won't discipline you because they won't know how to fix it.

Cons

Managers have no idea how to do their jobs and lack experience to hold their current position. Corporate focuses too much on their ranking on TripAdvisor and doesn't focus on their internal employees. They lack professionalism and does not know how to handle their staff who don't do their jobs correctly.

Advice to Management

Learn how to do your job correctly and actually have experience in your position. Hotels is not something you learn along the way. Not only do you need to empathize with your guests, but with your staff as well.

Provenance Hotels2017-01-20

"Great company, but ambition trumps results"

Area Sales Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Provenance Hotels for more than 3 years

Pros

Fastly advancing company, competitive pay, great benefits. They also have a great family dynamic, albeit a bit click-esque.

Cons

Overly ambitious, so a lot of ideas never come to fruition. Dated systems with limited to no tech support; you have to figure must issues out yourself... and there are a lot of issues.

Advice to Management

Spend the money to upgrade your dated systems.

Provenance Hotels2016-08-04

"Front Desk"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Portland, OR

I worked at Provenance Hotels full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hotel really takes care of the staff and offers a lot of great incentives. You have first hand contact with the CEOs and board members. The pay is competitive and there are a lot of opportunities to make more money.

Cons

The overall affect of the staff is relatively negative and the morale is pretty low. Often the management has the ability to make processes less painful for the staff, but opt to take the route easiest for them, rather than those who work directly with the process. Hard to make moves in this company, regardless of your status or record for achievement.

Advice to Management

You have brilliant staff, listen to their input.

Provenance Hotels2015-07-24