Providence – An Engineering, Environmental, and Disaster Recovery Firm Reviews | Glassdoor

Providence – An Engineering, Environmental, and Disaster Recovery Firm Reviews

Updated November 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Rich Major and Todd Black

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Health information"

I have been working at Providence – An Engineering, Environmental, and Disaster Recovery Firm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Providence mission and core values really support our patients and employees. Providence value employees and always provide employees extensive training to support patients.

Cons

Hard to grow within the department.

2. "environment was nice"

Pros

Plenty of work hours and working will the elderly is always a plus

Cons

Days you are off, typically will get called in to work

3. "RN"

I have been working at Providence – An Engineering, Environmental, and Disaster Recovery Firm part-time

Pros

Rewarding experience for home health nurse, great supportive staff, great learning and training. Flexible schedule. Decent medical and dental benefits. Great place to work.

Cons

If working as home health nurse, you will always work overtime. You do get bonus pay, but a lot of documents.

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I worked at Providence – An Engineering, Environmental, and Disaster Recovery Firm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent starting wage and outlook.

Cons

The top management doesn't care about the employees.

Advice to Management

Don't use and abuse employees.

5. "All good things come to an end."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

Family friendly, flexible work schedule, ESOP, 401k match, smaller firm, one of the best places to work.

Cons

Atmosphere has been changing into more of a corporate fill. Employees are becoming numbers.

"Great company, incredible people"

I have been working at Providence – An Engineering, Environmental, and Disaster Recovery Firm full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere of very hard working scientists and engineers. Management trusts the employees.

Cons

Can require some long hours and travel on big jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep the amazing culture and educate employees on the ESOP.

7. "okay"

Former Employee - CSA
    Former Employee - CSA

Pros

co workers are passionate and driven. People are nice and friendly. PTO is okay. Sick leave is basic

Cons

management is poor. hours was hard to get. Management will cut your shift short if work is slow.

Advice to Management

no favoritism

"Director"

I have been working at Providence – An Engineering, Environmental, and Disaster Recovery Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission, dominant market share, good people

Cons

Too big too fast, lost their way

"Company is changing and not in a good way"

I worked at Providence – An Engineering, Environmental, and Disaster Recovery Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It used to be a good place to work, but as times turned tough, the true nature came out.

Cons

I was hired basically to do one project, when that one ended, work was slow. I was upfront with them when I interviewed, telling them that I did not have any clients that I could bring with me, but I would try.

One project that I did the proposals, I budgeted time for me to do the bulk of the work with some oversight time for my manager. Once the project started, he got more and more involved charging his time as he meddled in the project. Side note, he had spent a lot of money on a trip that he expected his bonus to cover, when the bonuses were delayed due to one of the former officers of the company pulling some dumb stuff. He decided that he was going to do anything he could to get his bonus and/or promoted at that time. I repeatedly told him that we did not have the budget for him to keep charging time. Part of the project was a trip to another state to meet with the agency there. Budget was for only one person to go from Providence (the client only wanted one person to go and were only going to pay for one person to go). He made all the travel arrangements that included him to go as well at a cost that was not even close to what I had budgeted. Needless to say, the project went $5000 to $7000 dollars over budget on a $15000 project due to his micromanaging. I was the project manager and got dinged at review time for that one.

He had someone working on a another project that the state agency had requested the client to do something that they were not required to do under the state rules. No one at Providence had a clue about it and he asked me if I had ever worked on these plans, I had, but told him that in their case, the client didn't need to do the work and should talk to the agency about changing their permit. After that, I didn't hear anything else until we were at a luncheon with clients and it was brought up by the client that the manager had done such a great thing about this permit. Idea stolen and he gladly took the credit.

Another project that he screwed me over on, involving some soil sampling at a former industrial facility. One of the sample locations had to be moved due to heavy rains. While we were doing the report, he noticed that one of the locations had moved, threw a fit and took his name off of the report that he was reviewing telling me that the client was going to freak out due to this. Well, I took his name off and submitted the report. The client only had one question about the report and it had nothing to do with that one location. I guess he thought he was going to throw me under the bus on that one.

I worked on another project similar to the one above later. He was the only one talking to the client so we didn't get the full story. When it came time to work in the field, the client met me at the site. I drove a company truck to the site about 4 hours away. The truck had our local number on it and the site was just a few miles from another one of our offices. When the client noticed the truck, he asked me what office I was working out of because he was told that the local office was doing the work. Oops. I ended up driving four hours to the site, working and then driving six hours back due to the facts that there was no budget to stay in a hotel near the work and I hit rush hour traffic coming back. Once the report was done for this work, which I completed, he called me at home during my vacation to complain about the labor charges on the project. I looked up the information on line about the project and noticed that despite my long day in the field, another person driving to Austin and back to get information for the project from the state and me writing the report, he had charged more hours that either one of us that had traveled for the project.

Once I was cut to part time, I tried to get paid for my vacation that I had to that point, started trying at the end of July/early August and it is almost November and still don't have it.

There were countless other instances utter BS that went on, but you get the idea.

Advice to Management

Don't only listen to one person about your outlying offices.

10. "Contract employee"

Former Employee - Conpliance Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Conpliance Specialist in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Providence – An Engineering, Environmental, and Disaster Recovery Firm (More than a year)

Pros

Managers are nice and HR is very responsive with any questions or concerns one would have even though I was a contracted employee.

Cons

Due to being a contract employee, benefits are very expensive and only received 5 paid time off days a year. This includes sick and vacation.

Advice to Management

Treat contract employees like part of the company and they will work for you longer and harder.