Providence Health & Services Reviews in Everett, WA | Glassdoor

Everett, WA

3.6
Rodney F. Hochman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good benefits good work life balance (in 77 reviews)

• Providence has a strong set of core values that you can see in the decisions it makes everyday (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance" really means work should be your life (in 25 reviews)

• High turnover with upper management (in 33 reviews)

1. "HI Reporting"

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Everett, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work - lots to learn

Cons

The company is to large. Grew to fast.

"Interim Manager"

Former Employee - Interim Manager in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Interim Manager in Everett, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, challenging environment, no cost parking

Cons

Administration more concerned about showing they saved a dollar here and there, not the effect on staff (loss of 15% of pay with change from 40 -36 hour work week +call and 12 hour days. They drove their most experienced staff out the door.

Advice to Management

balance management with clinical and administrative staff, not 2 similar, if not identical manager/director.

"Working as a staff RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Everett, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best and most cohesive team I ever worked with in 35 years of nursing.

Cons

Although individual management styles obviously vary, my direct manager focused on rigidly adhering to her own agenda and implemented programs without involving staff members. Any student of change theory knows that creating buy in from those affected by a proposed change is essential. Staff concerns were ignored and it was clear that a great deal of favoritism was directed toward some individuals. Many of my colleagues expressed great dissatisfaction with the management style but, unfortunately there was no mechanism to provide her supervisors with an anonymous evaluation of her performance.

As someone with many years of experience, a higher level of education than my manager, and a reluctance to do things "because we do them", I felt that there was a concerted effort to find reasons to terminate my employment. Being at the top of the pay scale and not accepting "rules" if I felt that they were not in an individual patients best interest, There was no room for any nurse's individual professional judgement about actions if it was felt to not adhere to a "rule". I clearly became a less desirable employee than a nurse with less experience who questions less. Demonstration of age discrimination are often difficult to prove. I feel that this was a definite issue in my relationship with my manager.

Providence has admirable sounding statements of goals and mission. Unfortunately, this philosophy is frequently absent or poorly applied to patient care. It was not uncommon for fellow staff members to make very negative comments about patients and their visitors. This often caused less than compassionate care to be delivered without any repercussions for the staff members. Staff discipline focused on rather trivial issues like being 1-2 minutes late for report (which typically did not start for several minutes after that time). The mission and goals were completely ignored in regards to staff concerns. Your job was to show up, shut your mouth, and slavishly follow directions.

Staffing levels throughout the hospital were too low for the acuity of the patients cared for. I can"t speak to specialty areas, but the loads required for staff in general patient care areas were often dangerous and unsafe. There was no mechanism available to document or report staff concerns.

Many staff members had skills and knowledge that could benefit their colleagues if a formal structure was in place to share it. The area where I worked had great learning needs that some staff members could easily provide. These important resources were not utilized, which was a great waste of resources.

Advice to Management

Develop effective shared governance structures instead of managers' implementing their own ideas without input from staff.
    Involve staff in planning for implementation of new programs and policies.
    Allow and encourage staff review of managers on a consistent basis as part of managers' performance review.
    Utilize skills and ability of staff members to support newer, less experienced staff in a more formal fashion.
    Although the current health care environment is very challenging, supporting staff members as the essential tool in promoting safe and positive patient outcomes is essential and was not done during my time at Providence.

Note: although my personal philosophy of professional nursing practice was not a good fit for Providence, many people report being happily employed there for many years and can't imagine working anywhere else. However, this is also the only place they have ever worked so I question their basis of comparison.

"Workplace Negativity"

Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - Patient Service Representative in Everett, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paycheck
    Helping patients is fulfilling
    The mission statement

Cons

Management turnover is high
    Lack of competent leadership
    When a team doesn't like you, pack mentality pushes you out. Higher than average turnover. Can't keep floats around long enough to keep up with the turnover of regular employees.
    Indirect complaints by fellow team members are usually miniscule compared to actual problems within the department; everyone will still complain about a team member anyway, even if it's a systemic problem then try to make him/her look bad. The deflection of negativity on to other individuals is commonplace, even though it is against Providence policies.

Advice to Management

Dont just listen to the people who frequently complain. If someone reports bullying and discrimination because they follow the Providence code of conduct and ethics, don't belittle them for doing so. The non retaliation policy is a joke.

5. "Patient Transporter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

Pros

Excellent group of caregivers. The workers care for the patients. Management talks and listens to the employees. Enviroment is comfortable and warm.

Cons

At times patients don't understand all the hard work that is being given. This is a HOSPITAL not a HOTEL. Need to have patience. You will recieve the same respect that you give.

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Everett, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PRMCE is a nice and challenging environment. The challenges of serving the community and meeting the business side is a constant push pull. As an employee I feel heard especially around ideas and change. Going to work everyday is different and I feel like I am working towards the betterment of Snohomish County. I appreciate shared decision making and being heard.

Cons

This is hard work. As a manager you put in long days and many hours. Change is constant and this can be exhausting. Snohomish County is large with many social issues which is difficult to meet day to day. The resources in Snohomish County are limited and this makes our day to day job difficult. Communication is difficult regarding changes in PRMCE since it is a large hospital but they try their best.

Advice to Management

Understand an ever changing work environment is difficult. Things get missed when PRMCE moves quickly which leads to frustration and unhappiness. Know that managers appreciate opportunities and time to spend with their employees which is valuable to the work force and this is why managers become managers- not to spend every minute in meetings and tracking data. There needs to be a middle ground.

"Pharmacy Technician"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Everett, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, and well-priced for employee and family. Shifts are reasonable, and usually able to pick up OT or extra shifts when needed

Cons

Communication breakdown between management and staff. Very strict attendance policy. Unable to clock in even 1 MINUTE late. If you clock in more than 1 minute late a handful of times, you are reprimanded. Parking can be tricky

Advice to Management

Find a better way to communicate with staff. Allow some leniency on clock-in time. We shouldn't have to run from the parking lot (when parking can be tricky...) over 1 minute...

8. "Registered Nurse review"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Everett, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Providence really does a great job of sticking to the mission, they really value patient feedback and providing the best medical care possible. They are always looking for ways to improve patient care. Great pay as well with shift/weekend differential.

Cons

Depending on the department or unit you work in, there can be a lot of staff turnover and drama caused by poor management. But there are only certain floors that have this problem, most are excellent. It is easy to move to better floors/departments with 1+ years of experience. But it seems impossible to get rid of bad managers/supervisors even with high staff turnover and sometimes near misses related to lack of experienced staff. Also, the medical insurance is subpar compared to other hospitals or even clinics.

Advice to Management

When you have a unit that is hemorrhaging staff more than the other units in the hospital, it is likely a manager/supervisor problem. Good supervisors bring teams together, and bad ones push people out. When you have one supervisor in particular with a history of lots of union grievances, complaints through the harassment line, and complaints to his manager and further on up, with high staff turnover, there may be some legitimacy to these concerns please do not continue to brush it under the rug. In the future hire from within the unit and ask the unit staff their thoughts on this person. An easy way to do this would be to have staff from the floor on the hiring/interviewing committee. This would save a lot of near misses for patients and improve staff satisfaction and retention thus cutting costs as well.

9. "Phlebotomist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Everett, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great people to work with

Cons

Better medical benefits in the future

10. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Everett, WA

Pros

Great pay, good learning environment, plenty of opportunities to grow

Cons

Long commute if you leave in Seattle

Showing 47 of 1,379 reviews