Providence Health & Services Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Los Angeles, CA

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • they have good work life balance (in 59 reviews)

• In an industry that continually strives to make ends meet with lower reimbursements, I feel that they live by their core values (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Challenges with prioritizing work from leaders; too much work resulting in poor work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Hostile upper management who inexplicably complain about short funds but keep adding layers of management i (in 28 reviews)

"about Providence"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, promote from within

Cons

Very difficult to speak to hr about on the job malfeasance

Advice to Management

Keep nurses in the loop when important changes are being considered

2. "Very Corporate, slow approval processes, highly paid tenured employees threaten new employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is strictly on the business operations side. As far as the clinical side of things I cannot speak of.

Great work life balance, Providence is a healthcare giant, so things move at very slow pace where their are very few urgent deadlines to be met. You have ample time to complete job duties. Minimal supervision if any (can be a pro or con). Must be able to self manage, self create and self implement. For for the most part employees are happy as the company does not create a high pressure work environment, but at the same time if you need something done quickly, good luck! High salaries compared to the market for the business operations jobs. Great benefits on the Medical Dental Vision side of things, the retirement plan is lacking.

Cons

A lot of silo'ed employees, working in their own bubble. This could be attributed to segmented department structures and locations. Minimal "team" feel. Due to the self manage atmosphere processes are not defined, you will get different answers from employees. Due to the high salaries there are a lot of tenured employees who have been their for 10+ 15+ years. They are very cautious of new employees and will complain to management if they feel their job could be threatened down the road. You will be looked down upon for trying to speed up or simplify processes by current staff, as the so called 'complicated' processes they use to protect their worth to the company. Very lax work environment (could be pro or con) which effects the overall company's bottom numbers. It is more about who you know and who you can befriend than how hard you work. Actually working too hard could work against you. Slow approval processes, which is half due to the large corporate structure and half due to the fact employees take their time to get things done.

"Employee for Axminster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and doctors you work for are great. The company used to be great but change in management makes pros a shorter list.

Cons

Many changes have happened, hence new management and supervisors and aren't as supportive or positive to the employees like before. If you aren't a favorite of the superiors your work means nothing. Instead of helping to improve the team and work they just point fingers and target the good employees and push them away. I used to love working for providence Axminster but a better more team oriented positive employer helped me decide to leave the company. It's a shame how many good employees have been lost and replaced with not so great ones due to favoritism and lack of acknowledgement to the good employees.

Advice to Management

Be kind to your employees and believe in them instead of making them feel like worthless employees! Used to love the company it's sad that it had to be left due to poor management

5. "Union and manangement"

Current Employee - Nusing in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Nusing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Union Benefits 401k 403kfree parking

Cons

Micro-Management
    Conflict of interest
    Union
    No growth
    Management under-minds union
    lack of staff

Advice to Management

Stop hiring children of other managers, hire more staff and respect seniority.

"Recrutier"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mission and values. Good work life balance

Cons

Pay is not competitive for the local market

7. "Providence"

Current Employee - Chaplain in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Chaplain in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People share a common goal of service to our patients.

Cons

some managers are better than others

Advice to Management

none

8. "CIS"

Current Employee - Clinical Informatics Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Informatics Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

There is room for growth.

Cons

Extreme changes to roles and responsibilities.

9. "Great Organization to Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Providence Health & Services is focused on the future of healthcare and truly values employees (who are all called caregivers). They continue to grow, most recently in partnership with Saint Joseph Health System,which offers more opportunity for individual growth and promotion. The communication is good, the concern for the patients, customers and staff is evident in the mission statement and core values. Providence offers great benefits and competitive salaries.

Cons

Sometimes work/life balance is difficult due to high workload. I believe this is partly because of how fast the company is growing and not being able to hire fast enough.

10. "Exceptional Health Caring"

Current Employee - Regional Chief Nursing Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Chief Nursing Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission focused relentless pursuit to advance quality & safety. Exceptional healthy practice environment for Nurses
    and all team members. Know me, care for me & ease my way.... Our focus on both patients, families and employees.

Cons

Like any healthcare system, simplification of the on-boarding new employee process is an opportunity for improvement

11. "Very Engaging Place to Work"

Current Employee - Online Instructional Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Online Instructional Designer in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

There really is a focus on supporting and growing the individual. It begins with the language Providence uses- we are not called employees, we are called caregivers.

My manager is extremely supportive, allowing me the freedom to deliver my projects in the way I best see fit and the support when I need it, while holding me accountable for on-time delivery and high quality.

Cons

Some of their technology throughout the system is old (although not mine) and we have to use SharePoint, Outlook, and Lync for communication and data sharing. Having worked within a Google-based system, it has been a hard adjustment to move backwards.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the changes that I've seen in the past year. There's a lot of change in the air, and new people coming in with support from the top to implement it. I've seen a lot of streamlining and alignment to stated strategies.

Showing 13 of 1,167 reviews