Providence Health & Services Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Portland, OR

3.7
Rodney F. Hochman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good benefits good work life balance (in 79 reviews)

• Providence has a strong set of core values that you can see in the decisions it makes everyday (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance" really means work should be your life (in 25 reviews)

• High turnover with upper management (in 33 reviews)

1. "Respect the Chef"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours, location, equipment, upper management and benefits!

Cons

The people that just can find the time to NOT share their baggage. no one can chk beliefs at door.

Advice to Management

Screen with personality tests and require a 3 yr re-take.

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Reporting Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Reporting Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, core values, and charity care provided in the community is amazing. The organization is based on and continues to cherish the catholic roots from inception. The ministry is very much alive today

Cons

There are a multitude of changes and integration going on with changes in government healthcare plans. There are also many departments converting to system accountabilities rather than regional such as HR, IS, reporting and makes it challenging.

3. "Research Associate"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at the Cancer Research Center (EACRI). I have been here for 2 and a half years and leadership is amazing, inspiring, and accessible; from my manager to the director of the cancer center. It's a relatively small research center, mostly focused on cancer immunotherapy, majority using mouse models and some working with clinical trials staff. There are plenty of engaging opportunities to learn from everyone in the department, we are encouraged to pursue further training and present our data in conferences. Benefits package is great

Cons

Not much vacation time, but we work together in our lab to accommodate everyone's schedules.
    Pay scale and hierarchy can be a little stiff, with not much juggling for those who are looking for new positions to be created based on needs.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage employees and allow for team leadership to continually develop

"Phlebotomist"

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Portland, OR

Pros

Excellent benefits, some co-workers are great, but I only saw one person who followed most phlebotomy procedures accurately, but he had OCPD which was a huge problem causing other to refuse to work with him. I gave two stars for their benefits, but this is one of the worst places I've ever worked due to co-workers lack of experience/training/or negligence.

Cons

I've never worked for a company with so many poorly trained, incompetent, or confrontational co-workers: processing specimen under the wrong name 3X in 1 week +, using expired tubes, wrong order of draws, ignoring IV fluid build up under skin instead of in a vein. 14 employees on extended medical leave, same person calling out once a month. I've had 3 supervisors in 1 year, and none of them have been allowed to or voluntarily addressed any of the above issues. I have only been allowed 1 day off in over a year. Ever heard someone say, "The dog sensed your fear and that's why it bit you." No, the dog has a problem. This was my experience when I reported issues with a co-worker (the same issue occurred with everyone I've talked to) to my supervisor's manager. They promote/hire unqualified candidates, people with a long problem history, so don't expect your qualifications to factor in to your application.

Advice to Management

Hire the most qualified candidate based on the job "requirements." Do not promote people with a long history of issues with co-workers, anger management issues, and fire people for repeatedly making serious mistakes (e.g. processing specimen under the wrong patient). Listen to the employees reports of problem employees, and maybe put that person by themselves. There is a problem with our lab supervisor's ability to do their job. Fix the problems that you get repeated complaints about.

"Providence Health & Services"

Current Employee - IS Strategic Partner in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - IS Strategic Partner in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing company with a culture like no other. Great people, great work, great pay.

Cons

There are no cons to my job.

Advice to Management

Make sure when you make cuts you choose the correct caregivers. Some want nothing more than to be part of Providence and grow. Others are only in it for a paycheck and don't care about the mission or values. You have to know the difference.

6. "Medical Office Assistant"

Former Employee - Medical Office Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Medical Office Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career opportunities

Retirement benefits

Health insurance covers 80%

Rewards program that discounts fun activities

Credit Union

Cons

Coworkers backstabbing and sabotaging each other to compete for bosses Pet position.

Corrupt supervisory practices on employees to make them fail and have grounds to fire the staff and replace with friends.

Discrimination of sick employees on FMLA

Employees who are healthy with no chronic illness have a better chance to make a career at Providence.

Advice to Management

What for?
    They won't listen. They think they are perfect as they are.

"Good pay, good people, moving way too fast causes burnout."

Current Employee - Senior Epic Applications Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Epic Applications Analyst in Portland, OR

Pros

Competitive pay. Work from home 2 days a week. Office is 5 minutes from home. Good people. Did I say you get to work from home? Only epic analysts though.

Cons

Bad benefits, no employee perks, epic analysts being forced to do go lives constantly with no breaks. I’ve been there for 5 years, and am searching for a job because all providence does is expand, buy places out and do go lives. It never ends. If you like traveling, being pushed to your limits and getting burned out get a job there you’ll love it.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Clinical Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Clinical Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Great benefits, strong mission and strong senior leaders.

Cons

Too large of an organization. Expiriencing growth pains with standardizing work flows in the medical group.

9. "RN"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Portland, OR

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. work loads can be hard patient to Nurse ratio

Cons

Need improvement on proper staffing of units

10. "Administrative assitant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Portland, OR

Pros

Core mission and values of Providence

Cons

Pay is not as high as other hospitals in the area

Showing 247 of 1,436 reviews