Providence Health & Services Program Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Providence Health & Services Program Manager Reviews

Updated 2 Jun 2019

4.0
Providence Health & Services CEO Rodney F. Hochman (no image)
Rodney F. Hochman

"Was a great place to have a career"

Program Manager in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services

Pros

Great leadership vision and team; strong support for development. Mission focused.

Cons

Growing very fast which may not be for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus on the Mission, as you've always done.

Providence Health & Services2015-09-24
  2. "Pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time

Pros

Good values and living out the mission

Cons

Big organization that moves slower than necessary

Advice to Management

Some managers are not good at managing people

Providence Health & Services2019-06-03
  3. "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Strong foundation of our mission and vision still applies in the decisions made for the organization today. The people are amazing, quickly become your family. Opportunities to give back to your communities and room for development in your career

Cons

Pay is not as competitive being in non-for profit healthcare, and decisions can take a long time to be made as the culture is very inclusive of everyone's opinions

Providence Health & Services2017-09-19
  4. "A big organization with a strong mission"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A strong mission to provide healthcare to the poor and vulnerable, a set of values that inform most decisions, fantastic physicians, mid-level providers and other caregivers (all employees are 'caregivers'), job stability, ability to transfer to other locations, the resources of a large organization, strong research and innovation focus, learning and growth opportunities if you seek it out.

Cons

Large organizations have communication struggles and Providence is no different. Sometimes impacted department leaders/caregivers find out about changes when the whole system does. Underperforming caregivers can take time to move along due to the conservative discipline process after the 90-day probationary period.

Providence Health & Services2016-07-15

"Great Place to Develop in Career"

Program Manager in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

There is always room for career growth at Providence. The company takes pride in making sure we provide excellent healthcare the founding Sisters of Providence would have wanted. Pay is competitive with other healthcare organizations. Providence is committed to being a high reliability organization.

Cons

Workload can sometimes be overwhelming with unrealistic expectations. There is sometimes a disconnect from the corporate office and individual hospitals.

Advice to Management

Focus on building hospital infrastructure rather than focusing on mergers and acquisitions. Providence is growing too rapidly with the merger with St. Joseph and individual hospitals need improvements.

Providence Health & Services2016-06-20
  6. "Manager - Privacy Monitoring"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mission at center of work, work-life balance, kind and caring environment, supportive management, meaningful work

Cons

Support of shared resources are not consistently available and can cause delays in work.

Providence Health & Services2016-02-18
  7. "Providence is a great place to work"

Former Contractor - Program Manager in Browns Point, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part about working at Providence is the people; they really live their core values of "respect, compassion, justice, excellence, stewardship." My experience as a contractor at Providence was very positive. I felt my contributions were appreciated and there was no difference between the way I was treated and the way permanent employees were treated. I felt part of the team right from the start. I appreciate... an environment where employees are valued and respected and there is accountability with a "people first" approach. I found this at Providence. The technical infrastructure supports their highly distributed teams, for the most part. The computer equipment issued to contractors and employees is adequate to do the work. The IS teams I worked with were highly competent people with a desire to do the right thing for their organization.

Cons

They are going through a lot of change so there is a high degree of ambiguity and standardized processes are rolling out constantly as they mature in various areas. I find this exciting to be a part of, but some would find this difficult to work through. People struggle with knowing how to prioritize their work because everything is important and prioritization is not crystal clear. Pay is lower in some other... healthcare because they prioritize revenue streams to their missions higher than their employee pay.

Advice to Management

In times of change, priorities, expectations, and process changes must be communicated often through a variety of channels. I think Providence leaders could improve in communicating to its employees so they can focus on the right things.

Providence Health & Services2015-11-11
  8. "Program Manager"

Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services

Pros

Nice cafeteria with new buildings and sourroundings

Cons

St Johns in Santa Monica recently "sponsored" by Providence. VERY painful process in every aspect: HR, IT, parking. Benefits are horrible and no one at director level and above is accountable. Salaries are very low.

Advice to Management

Hire an employee engagement staff and start addressing issues

Providence Health & Services2015-04-08

"Providence Health and Services Review"

Former Contractor - Senior Program Manager in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services for more than a year

Pros

Excellent company. Good values. Dedicated to improved health and well being.

Cons

A bit of a conflict with the non profit altruistic values that started the company and the progressive profit seeking mentality of some of the new management.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on the mission.

Providence Health & Services2015-01-08

"There are opportunities to grow here."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Renton, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you can put up with the politics there are opportunities for advancement. The Company now spans over 5 states.

Cons

The salaries are lower than average.

Advice to Management

The boys club really needs to be abolished.

Providence Health & Services2014-01-17