Providence Health & Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 27, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rodney F. Hochman

Pros
  • good benefits good work life balance (in 69 reviews)

• In an industry that continually strives to make ends meet with lower reimbursements, I feel that they live by their core values (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance" really means work should be your life (in 25 reviews)

• High turnover with upper management (in 30 reviews)

1. "Run Away, its just plain awful!"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary is almost competitive.
    Benifits are good.

Cons

Providence Health Services is simply too large & disjointed.

Advice to Management

Follow the laws of the country, treat people with respect, be responsible.

"Rampant abuse of power"

Former Employee - Regional Business Office in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Regional Business Office in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hourly workers tend to actually believe in the mission.

Cons

Leadership allowed to abuse power, hourly workers treated with disdain. No safe reporting structure in place for anyone to avail themselves of. Nepotism is encouraged and bragged about. Overall, a shame based punitive culture.

Advice to Management

Managers should not be allowed to be dictators. Firing staff that dare to question things should not be the norm. Allow employees greater autonomy and actually give them a voice, they may surprise you!

"Impossible to get things done"

Former Employee - Program Director in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mission based approach to work is refreshing compared to other companies
    Wonderful caring people
    Location of main office in downtown Renton is nice

Cons

HR leadership can't get out of their own way to allow work to progress
    Overly political -- the work it takes to get all aligned is unreasonable and slows the pace of work
    PTO includes holiday accrual which they aren't transparent about when you start

"Management is Terrible"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Missoula, MT
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The management team has created a set of core values and mission statement

Cons

The core values and mission statement left with the nuns. The management team is focused on the financials, and does not care how employees are impacted or treated. One of the worst places I've worked.

Advice to Management

Revise your core values and mission statement to reflect your focus of the bottom line.

"Bottom dollar management"

Current Employee - Cardiovascular Technologist in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Cardiovascular Technologist in Everett, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

small, short term opportunities may lead to opportunities in other areas like attaining additional license, certification or higher acuity skill set

Cons

middle management and administration care very little for the hardships the staff incurs due to one sided, opaque process review and change. the 12 hour shifts we work now have taken the equivalent of 2 shifts from each paycheck with no increase in base pay to compensate for hours lost. Managers are more concerned with their place at the corporate table, forgetting where they came from. The level of corporate teat suckling translates to a "don't come here" message.

Advice to Management

Search your heart and ask yourself "is it right to treat your staff like this". We are stake holders in this organization as well as you and our patient population. How would you react were our places reversed?

"Culture has changed, high turn over in middle management, longterm nurses leaving"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team of nurses/MSWs/Aids/Triage Staff/Schedulers work well together, daytime working hours although often with OT but they are day hours, occasional weekends or evening coverage

Cons

No competitive pay with their own hospital pay, below market for other hospitals/services in the area, poor management, they have hired in micromanagers, managers with alterior motives and are toxic and due to this, the culture of the working environment has changed drastically and is having a negative effect on the organization as a whole, employees don't feel valued, employee who has dedicated many years of service to the organization and management makes the employees feel like we are easily replaceable

Advice to Management

Pay attention to complaints from employees, realize there is a wolf among the sheep and get rid of them. Have loyalty with the people who work for you, value them as employees and as individuals, don't take the words of those who have been here very shortly over others who have been here for years.

"No leadership and absolutely abysmal management in pediatrics."

Current Employee - Pediatric Nurse in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Pediatric Nurse in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Providence Health & Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, do not exist. It is impossible to conjure 20 words that could possibly be construed as a positive comment for Providence East Pediatrics.

Cons

Units closed with no warning and zero guidance on employment status. Unit suffered from extreme understaffing and no management. Employees were often placed in situations that pressured a knowledgeable nurse to call "Safe Harbor."

Advice to Management

Your Providence Campuses Pediatric unit in El Paso was poorly managed and employees were handled in such a matter that screams legal action.

"Hospital Nurse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really loved the people I worked and Olympia is a great city.

Cons

Where to start.
    Management is awful
    High turn over = poor patient care
    No life work balance
    They are so understaffed patient rooms are left filthy
    This is not longer a place that follows the mission, left to greedy CEO's and Directors with no skills to lead a team. Very sad

Advice to Management

Clean out and start over with your directors and managers

"Does not support true diverse culture"

Former Employee - Medical Office Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Office Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location, nothing else positive to say

Cons

PEP in Seattle is a very clicky place. Was told I did not fit into office culture because my personality was not bubbly enough. Was only given 4 days to prove myself. Required a lot of training just to learn the clinic processes for scheduling patients. Made every effort to get to know other workers and patients in a small amount of time. Was always respectful, professional and helpful but was told that I did not chit chat with other workers enough. Permanent workers would talk about other workers, especially the temp receptionist, behind her back in a negative and derogatory way. Did not participate in that. Nothing bad about my efforts, skills, competency, and work were mentioned. Diversity is not respected. Diversity is more than just race, ethnicity, culture, but also about age, background, and disability. The personality criticism is hard to accept when one is an older worker, with Aspergers.

Advice to Management

Respect diversity in all areas, be less judgmental, and give others a chance to fit in. Stop being like high school. Be more professional more accepting.

"Fear, Retaliation and Bullying"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very Hard working employees. Good Benefits and Pay. Great coworkers. Other Departments seem happy. I really cannot think of more.

Cons

Horrible Management. Name calling, yelling, threatening employees, bad language used. Manager gossips with favorites. Rather than focusing of work to be done. Has favorite employees watching other employees to gossip and bully. Team work not encouraged. Not allowed to speak with fellow employees to share information to do work. New employees are not trained or allowed to ask questions. The most horrible work environment I was ever in. Employees very fearful of retaliation. Very unhappy environment.

Advice to Management

To the senior Director and above. Pay attention to what is happening in front of you. Speak to your employees and stop ignoring this behavior. Teach middle Management and Supervisors core values. Do not sit back and tolerate the bullying behavior that goes on.

Showing 120 of 1,263 reviews