Providence Health & Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 23, 2017
1,223 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,223 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • they have good work life balance (in 66 reviews)

• In an industry that continually strives to make ends meet with lower reimbursements, I feel that they live by their core values (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is shifting, career development options are limited (in 24 reviews)

• High turnover with upper management (in 30 reviews)

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great caring people for the most part who really want to live out the mission statement.

Cons

HR supports the poor performers over other caregivers making it nearly impossible to create strong teams. Compensation in poor making it hard to hire the best people. Culture does not match core values. Respect and justice don't seem to apply for caregivers

Advice to Management

Success factors should not be associated with a merit increase. It does nothing related to merit and only seems to make the playing field more level regardless of performance or merit. Extremely biased and unfair

"Impossible to get things done"

Former Employee - Program Director in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Program Director in Renton, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mission based approach to work is refreshing compared to other companies
    Wonderful caring people
    Location of main office in downtown Renton is nice

Cons

HR leadership can't get out of their own way to allow work to progress
    Overly political -- the work it takes to get all aligned is unreasonable and slows the pace of work
    PTO includes holiday accrual which they aren't transparent about when you start

3. "Medical Assistant"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

seeking for Immediate Care or Urgent Care facility or organization.

Cons

Family Practice or Family Medicine

Advice to Management

I am a really fast learner, good to follow instructions and work hard independently, like to multitask projects, etc.

4. "It is a good enough job"

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Providence is a big corporation. My job is protected because it is a union job and most jobs at Providence are not union. They do have an integrity line to anonymously tell when managers etc. are not following the core values. Recently when the budget had problems, Providence reduced management jobs instead of core staff. The work environment is greatly influenced by who the manager is. There are departments that are wonderful to work in and ones that are not.

Cons

I have worked there 33 years and like most businesses my retirement has been reduced. Managers are caught in the middle often when the corporate leaders decide to down size or outsource. They often expect employees to do more than we have time for. There are some leaders that look more at best practice than at least expensive which is good but you never know when that person will move on. The nursing service staffing levels have increased a little recently though it is still tight. By nursing service I mean all the people who do something directly with the patient. Recently WA state has required a certain level of RN's so Providence has cut back on all the other support employees, like NAC's, and even environmental and food services.

Advice to Management

All jobs are important. Cutting back on environmental services, food services, psychiatric services, admitting, NAC's, etc. impact how each of us can do our jobs. We are all going as fast as we possibly can and cutting out services means that I can't do the job you want me to. You need to talk to all of your managers about following the union contracts. Often a new manager does not think they need to follow those contracts.

5. "CNA"

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Mission Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Mission Hills, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Welcoming, flexible scheduling, supportive management, awesome coworkers

Cons

There are no cons to my knowledge

"Patient Specialist"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lot of patience needed to assist with patients in pain.

Cons

Your input can be over looked

Advice to Management

Recognize the real workers to promote and better pay instead of friends and family members that are placed into positions that are created to fit their lack of qualifications/skills and knowledge.

7. "Registered Nurse review"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Everett, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Providence really does a great job of sticking to the mission, they really value patient feedback and providing the best medical care possible. They are always looking for ways to improve patient care. Great pay as well with shift/weekend differential.

Cons

Depending on the department or unit you work in, there can be a lot of staff turnover and drama caused by poor management. But there are only certain floors that have this problem, most are excellent. It is easy to move to better floors/departments with 1+ years of experience. But it seems impossible to get rid of bad managers/supervisors even with high staff turnover and sometimes near misses related to lack of experienced staff. Also, the medical insurance is subpar compared to other hospitals or even clinics.

Advice to Management

When you have a unit that is hemorrhaging staff more than the other units in the hospital, it is likely a manager/supervisor problem. Good supervisors bring teams together, and bad ones push people out. When you have one supervisor in particular with a history of lots of union grievances, complaints through the harassment line, and complaints to his manager and further on up, with high staff turnover, there may be some legitimacy to these concerns please do not continue to brush it under the rug. In the future hire from within the unit and ask the unit staff their thoughts on this person. An easy way to do this would be to have staff from the floor on the hiring/interviewing committee. This would save a lot of near misses for patients and improve staff satisfaction and retention thus cutting costs as well.

8. "worklife balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

supports family & personal life

Cons

very huge organization. takes longer to implement improvements.

Advice to Management

more communication

9. "Perfect!"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Vista, CA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic fast service and reliable people

Cons

patient of clients have emotional status and it was usually part time but great physical therapists

Advice to Management

None what so ever great facitlity and amazing co workers

"I wouldn't ever work there again."

Former Employee - PATIENT RELATIONS Representative in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - PATIENT RELATIONS Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good vacation time accrual, higher up management care, constantly expanding to different states so you have the ability to move around if needed

Cons

Turn over rate is horrible because annual raises suck and direct management likes to pick favorites and not listen to all employees, just the ones the really really like.

Advice to Management

Learn that you are management, not friends. Stop picking sides. Don't allow kindergarten BS lies and tattletales. Say something and stick to it(don't tell employee a no and employee b yes!)

Showing 1,223 of 1,257 reviews