Providence Health & Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Providence Health & Services Reviews

Updated Dec 9, 2019

3.4
Providence Health & Services CEO Rodney F. Hochman (no image)
Rodney F. Hochman
  1. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Torrance, CA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people who work here are amazing and truly care about each other and the patients and families.

Cons

The only con is that the pay is not quite as high as some other larger hospitals in LA.

Advice to Management

N/A

Providence Health & Services2019-10-08
  2. "Great"

Current Employee - Clinical Psychometrist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

great people, delivering great care, in a great location

Cons

management sometimes poor and disorganized at times.

Providence Health & Services2019-10-06
  3. "providence"

Former Employee - Cardiac Monitor Tech in Portland, OR

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good benefits, job security. Good EHR system.

Cons

Pay seems a little low.

Providence Health & Services2019-10-03
  4. "okay"

Former Employee - Management

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

nice people, flexible time, good parking

Cons

IT need support, no communication

Providence Health & Services2019-10-15

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits and friendly environment

Cons

No Diversity among certain teams

Providence Health & Services2019-09-28

"on call"

Former Employee - On Call Patient Dining Assistant

I worked at Providence Health & Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

Offers alot of opportunity to grow.

Cons

On Call is horrible. Its a great way to work full time without receiving benefits.

Providence Health & Services2019-09-27
  7. "Great Place to work with even better Coworkers!"

Former Employee - Rehabilitation in Mission Viejo, CA

I worked at Providence Health & Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great you definitely feel like everyone is on the same team! Would definitely be open to working here again!

Cons

Parking and traffic is very annoying, and then there's all the red tape that comes with working at a hospital.

Advice to Management

Some of the facilities seem a little older it would be nice if they were able to reinvest in some of the facilities especially for the employees who have been there longer. To be fair I have not been there in a while so they may have done this already.

Providence Health & Services2019-09-28

"IS is Broken"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Pros

Great health insurance options. Adequate PTO Premier Brand Potential for very interesting work

Cons

High turnover. Hemorrhaging talent. The people who stay are the least capable Frequent layoffs. Constant reorganization. My team has had three different managers in the last two years. Inexperienced managers appointed to lead teams. Promotions are based upon favoritism (because there’s no other way measure success) Once you hit a certain title level, that is the end of the road in terms of advancement. You... then wait endlessly to be recognized. No performance management system No pay for performance. Recognition is focused on Management. Fearful managers like to strip away success and the ability to apply expertise from their top IC’s to keep them ‘manageable’. If your boss isn’t being recognized for your achievement then no one is recognized. Annual raises don’t even cover cost of living adjustments, particularly for top performers or tenured employees at the top end of their pay bands.. Senior IC’s shoulder a huge percentage of the work, but junior IC’s are promoted faster with associated increases in pay and bonuses. Politicians get promoted. The rest are sent back to the salt mines. I watched a PMO resource get promoted from Sr. to Principal to Manager in 3 months. The people that helped make him successful received nothing. I watched a Sr. Manager get promoted to Director if an area he knows nothing about. I watched a freshly minted Manager take over an advanced software development team where the manager had zero experience with app dev or the products that the team uses. If he had applied as an external candidate, he wouldn’t have even received an interview request. Management likes to outsource everything, even when they have knowledgeable personnel as employees. The net result is that employees are never allowed to be experts at anything, and consulting firms dominate the IS landscape and control our strategy, standards and execution without any knowledge of how internal teams operate. Your employees have become bit-part actors in their own careers. As a result, internal employees who are rock stars get fed up and leave, and those who remain are the least performers, who never grow. When we outsource all of our work to vendors, we lose all of the accumulated IP from the work that is being done, and create huge dependencies on vendors for continued work. I have yet to see a manager who is capable of collaboratively developing an individual development plan with their directs. Managers have no interest in what their employees want from their careers. Many managers believe that the sole purpose of their team is to promote the manager’s agenda that is designed to make the manager look good (vs. supporting strategy or business priorities). Zero support from HR on internal postings. HR Recruiters treat employees like dirt. The average tenure to go from senior IC to Supervisor or Manager is about 8 years. This is true even if the person has held prior leadership and management roles. IS is still a disorganized mess. Everyone wants to be in charge, and do what they want to do (vs. doing the role that they are chartered for) India IS resources are a necessity because the US people who could help you don’t want to work here. (See above)

Advice to Management

Centralized IT doesn’t work at this kind of scale. Cultural bias still prevails. Ignoring it affects everyone. We are a hospital system, not an IT company. Balance. Take the politics out of the workplace, stat! Implement a performance management system. Re-work your compensation plans to ensure growth for your top IC’s, who are festering in dead end roles. Fund a bonus pool that rewards performance and high... achievers. Stop promoting managers who don’t know anything. Stop protecting people who are coasting. Focus on retention, or turnover is going to continue to hurt. IS has cultivated a bad rep in the marketplace. Fix it, or you will continue to burn through local talent and find problems with vendor dominance. Please don’t remake Providence in Microsoft’s image. If we wanted to be Microsoft, we’d go work there. Your Cons list is HUGE!

Providence Health & Services2019-10-30
  9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - ER Registered Nurse in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great hourly pay, flexible schedule

Cons

Inconsistent upper management, favoritism, shortness of equipments

Providence Health & Services2019-09-23

"Cash Application Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liberty Lake, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hours, pay was ok. Meet some decent people I worked with.

Cons

Did not treat employees well. Did not follow code of conduct when it came to the employees.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favoritism.

Providence Health & Services2019-10-25