Providence Health & Services Staff RN Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Staff RN

Providence Health & Services Staff RN Reviews

Updated Dec 2, 2019

Providence Health & Services CEO Rodney F. Hochman (no image)
Rodney F. Hochman
  1. "Good work environment, freedom to do job well"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Spokane, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel I was able to do my job well, which for me meant tending to patient's needs, in the emergency setting.

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Providence Health & Services2018-10-30
  2. "Providence"

Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good coworkers, overall people seem to care about the patients

Cons

Getting too big. Impersonal. No fair wages

Providence Health & Services2019-12-02
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"FORGOTTEN ONES"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Mount Angel, OR

I have been working at Providence Health & Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some had working staff and the residents

Cons

The pay, the fact that they are not able to keep staff and so staff run the place (call in sick often, walk off the job, refuse to work on specific units) and do not get fired.

Advice to Management

Put pressure on upper management to do a pay increase so that quality staff will stay and to not be so concerned about the bottom dollar when trying to cut costs or save money.

Providence Health & Services2019-10-24

"Prov Centralia"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Centralia, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible self-scheduling, great benefits, matching 403B, HSA acct w/ both employer & employee contributions available, Double time pay for full-time employees who work over their FTE, very close-knit/family atmosphere. Great place to work.

Cons

Providence Centralia seems to be moving towards a more corporate business model like the larger hospitals which will really be a disservice to the staff & community.

Providence Health & Services2019-08-31
  6. "Its ok"

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time

Pros

Staff is very helpful and good. Nurses stick together.

Cons

Work/life balance schedule, time off

Providence Health & Services2019-07-28

"Staff RN Review"

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time

Pros

The hospital grounds are gorgeous.

Cons

Scheduling could be handled better.

Providence Health & Services2019-07-17

"I still believe, even if they don’t"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The mission is a beautiful thing. We used to live by it. It’s gone out the window and it is all about profit now.

Cons

Cutting positions, making demands that can’t be met. We’re working so short now, I’m afraid patients will get hurt.

Advice to Management

I believe our unit managers know, what we face, I want directors and upper management try to do our jobs for one day.

Providence Health & Services2019-07-22

"What a Decline!"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Spokane, WA

I worked at Providence Health & Services full-time

Pros

Co workers and how we helped each other cope with the stressors of work. A supportive union that promotes fairness and works hard to support staff/nurses and protect against corporate greed.

Cons

A toxic work environment. They talk the talk when it comes to bullies, but management seems to promote the experienced and turn them loose to bully. Even the well educated are bullies. Don't understand this culture and why it is allowed, but it has increased 10 fold over the 8 years my my rein until I finally had enough and left.

Advice to Management

I truly feel sorry for this organization, as I have moved on to a much larger organization that took over in Spokane. I did not realize how toxic Providence was to work for until I left. I did not feel appreciated, I felt that they were trying to get rid of the seasoned nurses and management was using energy to create disharmony with staff, and it was going on throughout Providence, It was sad and stressful and... creates a truly toxic place to work. I am in trauma therapy for the last several years of distress and non support from mgt. When you get assaulted at work, had to fill out the paperwork mountain by yourself without guidance, get reprimanded as you forgot something and no one from your direct mgt pool even contacts you to see how you are doing, speaks loudly of the support you receive. Mgt yells, threatens and intimidates and they are discriminating against the older nurse, I am still considering a suit as I was put through hell, but bowed out quietly. I am much happier now with an organization that wants the experienced nurse and promotes a healthy work environment, respects it union and does not want to take away benefits to increase profits. I also am making 7.00 more an hour. Providence told me I would have to leave and come back after a year to increase my pay, and it still would not be as much as I am making now with the new job. I do less stressful work and more respect....Hummmm

Providence Health & Services2019-05-19

"Lot's of problems"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Centralia, WA

I have been working at Providence Health & Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Reasonable pay. Great Staff. Very dedicated local staff hanging on for dear life as they are pushed beyond reasonable limits and expectations in a corporate culture.

Cons

RN's secondary to Physicians. Poor culture of safety. Administration talks about the "ministry" but there is little evidence of this to the front line staff. All staff running hard to complete work with less and less resources. Managers get bonuses when metrics met. Managers are overworked which is evidence that no one is valued when managers can't adequately serve and advocate for patients and staff. Too much... concern about measured metrics when other safety concerns are overlooked. More concerned about perception of community and accrediting agencies than what is actually happening. Have been cutting programs and staff for years, outsourcing, obviously can't meet the money needs of the rest of the hospital system of which it is a member. Bringing in long term patients from Olympia which has discouraged staff and physicians as these patients are difficult to manage and are often a disturbance to local patients trying to get care. Not focusing on the needs of the local community. Not even trying to do that. All services are led by people in Olympia who do not value the local community. Have some of the worst directors/managers at Centralia. Abrasive and appear to not care for staff. Staff feel they have no voice and are afraid to complain.

Advice to Management

Even though local managers/directors are not empowered to make large decisions, the hospital still deserves caring people to be the managers and help to soften and promote system directives. Chief nurse from Olympia is not engaged with Centralia as she has too much on her plate. Need a local director who cares enough to show up at work and project hope and a positive attitude to staff. Hands are tied now by... corporate, and the director, supervision and inpatient manager are negative and not trusted by staff. At a regional level, they justify what is happening by saying, "that's healthcare these days." Quit pushing staff over capacity.

Providence Health & Services2019-06-01

"RN"

I have been working at Providence Health & Services part-time

Pros

Competitive salary, many locations and opportunity to do different specialties of nursing.

Cons

Experiencing growing pains, negative changes to benefits, often short-staffed.

Providence Health & Services2019-04-15