Providence Service Reviews | Glassdoor

James M. Lindstrom

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "BHP"

I worked at Providence Service full-time

Pros

Vacation, Pay, Supportive Work Environment

Cons

Sometimes it is a struggle to find clients, or when clients cancel

2. "Run, Run Fast.."

I worked at Providence Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, flexible work from home allowance.

Cons

This company is missing organizational structure. Nobody knows who to ask for different things, if you point out that there isn't organization - you will end up shunned. It is like their motto is a good employee should be seen and not heard. The turn-over rate is high, benefits are sub-par (for a health services company this is surprising), leadership is lacking, directives from c-suite are mixed and conflicting. It isn't clear to employees what is valued.

Advice to Management

Leadership and an environment in the office that supports the team would have been nice. People, generally, do not want to work as islands. When you spend more time at work than you do with your family, it would be nice if these relationships were supported and encouraged.

3. "Low Pay - High demanding responsibilities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Providence Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff you work with are fun young people that you can easily get along with in the workforce. Great business model with helping the TAY (transitional aged youth). They are always hiring because people are always quitting.

Cons

VERY POOR MANAGEMENT. They do not listen to good advice/feed back from their staff that will ultimately help the goal with taking care of the TAY community.

Advice to Management

Quit. Management needs to be completely replaced. They need more open minded managers who are "leaders" and don't act so much like a "boss"

4. "They say good things but..."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Providence Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy to get hired with absolutely. They hire people straight out oh college "to be more cost effective" aka maximize profit/bonuses.

Cons

Revolving door turnover. Nearly the entire staff changed in about 6 months. Leads have no training in ethical or compassionate people management. People with disabilities are accommodated in a manner that drives them out.

Advice to Management

Stop playing team building games; start building your teams with that compassionate corporate culture that you advertize but don't deliver.

5. "RUN AND RUN FAST!!!!"

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Spotsylvania, VA
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Spotsylvania, VA

I have been working at Providence Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is great, the company does great things, benefits are decent (especially vacation time), and I'll miss some of my coworkers.

Cons

Very blatant favoritism, very high turnover, Billing and AR departments are pits of despair. I feel sorry for the next victim, I mean employee, that they bring in. If they don't like you they will put a target on your back and put way too much work on you then push your buttons and act like teenage girls until you quit because you can't take it anymore. They have unrealistic expectations of those they don't personally like and then for others that should be let go because they can't do the job properly, they are left there because the manager likes them. The company used to do so much for employees like lavish Christmas parties with gifts for every employee, and trips, and employee of the month, and now we get one event a year, at Christmas, and it's a potluck. Too many people leave crying too many days.

Advice to Management

Fire the directors of Billing and AR and promote people to those positions who actually act professionally and fairly towards ALL employees. And get back to doing appreciative things for your employees. Having pizza once a month and sending an email every once in a while saying good job is not enough appreciation for the hard work and the drama that we go through every single day.

6. "Good Compay overall"

Pros

Each local region looks very different to serve each community so it's hard to write a accurate review.

Cons

As each regional area is very unique there can be a big difference between the successful offices and the less successful ones.

"Providence Human Services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sanford, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sanford, ME

I have been working at Providence Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, supervisors are easy going, casual office environments, great coworkers

Cons

Treat employees as a number instead of a person, expensive insurance, high burn out and turn over

Advice to Management

Get better benefits, rewards employees for their good work. Management needs to be more consistent

8. "I resigned due to lack of hours and inconsistent schedule as well as lack of supervision and support."

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Professional in Bangor, ME
    Former Employee - Behavioral Health Professional in Bangor, ME

I worked at Providence Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job gave me valuable experience working with children with behavioral issues and their families. If one is looking for more experience in the field of mental health, this would be a good route, but maybe working for a different agency. This position also gave me the opportunity to be creative with activities during shifts such as picking out different treatment-related arts and crafts, etc.

Cons

I was promised $15,000 yearly salary plus incentive of $20 per hour after reaching 30 billable hours per pay period. Due to lack of clients and absurd schedule (plus driving time and trainings which do not count as billable hours), I never met my billable expectation once during the 6 months of my employment with this company. Despite advocating for myself and informing my supervisor of my financial obligations that I was unable to meet, I was not given more clients or more hours in a reasonable amount of time. I do not feel as though I received adequate support in this position, and the methods of communication between BHP staff and clinicians was extremely poor (ie: I learned 15 minutes before my shift with a family that my client had been hospitalized nearly a week before and no one told me!) I was not satisfied with the amount of supervisor feedback regarding my performance, and only met with my supervisor once every month or less. Also, because this agency is NOT a non-profit organization, employees do not qualify for any student loan forgiveness programs.

Advice to Management

Enforce a policy for supervisors to actually check their emails and voicemails, and ensure that BHPs are given adequate support and realistic methods of achieving billable expectations.

9. "Dependency Case Manager"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Labelle, FL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Labelle, FL

I worked at Providence Service full-time

Pros

It was job that paid the bills and its benefits were OK.

Cons

Case Managers were too over-whelmed. Attestations needed to be filled out to take a vacation. Cases passed on to case managers were not staffed.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better.

10. "I've worked with the company a year."

Pros

Laid back work environment. Flexible. No micro-managing.

Cons

Never give raises based upon what long standing employees of company indicate. Lousy healthcare coverage.

Advice to Management

Reward your workers. Get better healthcare for employees and their families.