Providence Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 13, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James M. Lindstrom

1. "Low Pay - High demanding responsibilities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Providence Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff you work with are fun young people that you can easily get along with in the workforce. Great business model with helping the TAY (transitional aged youth). They are always hiring because people are always quitting.

Cons

VERY POOR MANAGEMENT. They do not listen to good advice/feed back from their staff that will ultimately help the goal with taking care of the TAY community.

Advice to Management

Quit. Management needs to be completely replaced. They need more open minded managers who are "leaders" and don't act so much like a "boss"

2. "RUN AND RUN FAST!!!!"

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Spotsylvania, VA
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Spotsylvania, VA

I have been working at Providence Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is great, the company does great things, benefits are decent (especially vacation time), and I'll miss some of my coworkers.

Cons

Very blatant favoritism, very high turnover, Billing and AR departments are pits of despair. I feel sorry for the next victim, I mean employee, that they bring in. If they don't like you they will put a target on your back and put way too much work on you then push your buttons and act like teenage girls until you quit because you can't take it anymore. They have unrealistic expectations of those they don't personally like and then for others that should be let go because they can't do the job properly, they are left there because the manager likes them. The company used to do so much for employees like lavish Christmas parties with gifts for every employee, and trips, and employee of the month, and now we get one event a year, at Christmas, and it's a potluck. Too many people leave crying too many days.

Advice to Management

Fire the directors of Billing and AR and promote people to those positions who actually act professionally and fairly towards ALL employees. And get back to doing appreciative things for your employees. Having pizza once a month and sending an email every once in a while saying good job is not enough appreciation for the hard work and the drama that we go through every single day.

3. "I resigned due to lack of hours and inconsistent schedule as well as lack of supervision and support."

Former Employee - Behavioral Health Professional in Bangor, ME
    Former Employee - Behavioral Health Professional in Bangor, ME

I worked at Providence Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job gave me valuable experience working with children with behavioral issues and their families. If one is looking for more experience in the field of mental health, this would be a good route, but maybe working for a different agency. This position also gave me the opportunity to be creative with activities during shifts such as picking out different treatment-related arts and crafts, etc.

Cons

I was promised $15,000 yearly salary plus incentive of $20 per hour after reaching 30 billable hours per pay period. Due to lack of clients and absurd schedule (plus driving time and trainings which do not count as billable hours), I never met my billable expectation once during the 6 months of my employment with this company. Despite advocating for myself and informing my supervisor of my financial obligations that I was unable to meet, I was not given more clients or more hours in a reasonable amount of time. I do not feel as though I received adequate support in this position, and the methods of communication between BHP staff and clinicians was extremely poor (ie: I learned 15 minutes before my shift with a family that my client had been hospitalized nearly a week before and no one told me!) I was not satisfied with the amount of supervisor feedback regarding my performance, and only met with my supervisor once every month or less. Also, because this agency is NOT a non-profit organization, employees do not qualify for any student loan forgiveness programs.

Advice to Management

Enforce a policy for supervisors to actually check their emails and voicemails, and ensure that BHPs are given adequate support and realistic methods of achieving billable expectations.

4. "Dependency Case Manager"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Labelle, FL
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Labelle, FL

I worked at Providence Service full-time

Pros

It was job that paid the bills and its benefits were OK.

Cons

Case Managers were too over-whelmed. Attestations needed to be filled out to take a vacation. Cases passed on to case managers were not staffed.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better.

"Bad all around"

Current Employee - Licensed Professional Counselor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Licensed Professional Counselor in Austin, TX

Pros

They will give anyone a job, even with little or no experience.

Cons

Pretty much everything. Management is constantly changing, high employee turnover, unrealistic expectations. Management is very threatening in nature; definitely not coaching or supportive management. Corporate office is also very inept and will not take responsibility for their mistakes. Pay and vacation and benefits in general are poor!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well and they will stick with you. Your clients are unhappy because they end up with 2-4 different therapists because they keep quitting due to abusive work situations.

"It has its definite ups and downs!!"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Greenville, TX
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Greenville, TX

Pros

The best reasons to work here would be to gain experience and hours toward licensure. It is also a good job if you enjoy flexibility in your weekly schedule.

Cons

Downsides include poor salaries, uncertain future of company, revolving door of coworkers and very disgruntled clients quite often. If management would be more involved with the success and happiness of their case managers they would experience a lot more success in the future. Case managers have a quota per se of client hours to achieve on a weekly basis and sometimes/often that can require a lot of jockeying around - working weekends, etc.....the paperwork that follows this effort is enormous and hardly worth the salaries given!

Advice to Management

Find out what the problems are in the smaller rural offices - more training and support is desperately needed!

7. "Run, Run Fast.."

I worked at Providence Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, flexible work from home allowance.

Cons

This company is missing organizational structure. Nobody knows who to ask for different things, if you point out that there isn't organization - you will end up shunned. It is like their motto is a good employee should be seen and not heard. The turn-over rate is high, benefits are sub-par (for a health services company this is surprising), leadership is lacking, directives from c-suite are mixed and conflicting. It isn't clear to employees what is valued.

Advice to Management

Leadership and an environment in the office that supports the team would have been nice. People, generally, do not want to work as islands. When you spend more time at work than you do with your family, it would be nice if these relationships were supported and encouraged.

8. "They say good things but..."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Providence Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy to get hired with absolutely. They hire people straight out oh college "to be more cost effective" aka maximize profit/bonuses.

Cons

Revolving door turnover. Nearly the entire staff changed in about 6 months. Leads have no training in ethical or compassionate people management. People with disabilities are accommodated in a manner that drives them out.

Advice to Management

Stop playing team building games; start building your teams with that compassionate corporate culture that you advertize but don't deliver.

9. "No Room for advancement at all"

Current Employee - Mental Health Support
    Current Employee - Mental Health Support

I have been working at Providence Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros are pretty much nill, you make you own hours, the experience to work with individuals that have mental health issues, the only training is somewhat helpful but very generic, this company is a for profit company, so perhaps investing in while make you money.

Cons

massive paperwork, little resources, no bonuses, high turnover rate, no room for advancement, every month the CEO sends out a very generic newsletter that is not very newsworthy, pressure to provide assistance to people that may not actually need the services.

Advice to Management

get to know your employees, there is little room for advancement that is offered. please get better health benefits.