Provident Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Personal Account Adviser"

Current Employee - Personal Account Adviser in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Account Adviser in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Provident Credit Union has been such an honor. During my time here I have grown both personally and professionally. This is not just a job for me but the beginning to a career. They encourage growth and advancement. In addition, they take care of their employees by offering great benefits, in terms of health insurance, 401k and PTO. They have recognized all my hard work and have been very generous when compensation.

Cons

There are no real cons,everything you need to know about the job is said up front.

Advice to Management

Management, Ishan and Claudia are great role models and mentors; also the AVP Walt of the department takes his time to acknowledge everyone for their hard work. If I would have heard of this place earlier, I would have applied straight out of college. I am honored to say I work for such a diverse and trustworthy company.

2. "Good to their staff"

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health benefits + work life balance

Cons

Hard for them to compete with tech companies for innovation

Advice to Management

Keep innovating

3. "Real Estate Production/ Loan processing departments"

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and Summer PTO 1/2 days are great. Management isn't shy about wanting their employees to be cross-trained and are very open about that.

Cons

*Management needs to recognize their employees. I believe upper management loses sight of how great of job each department is doing and just wants numbers to look good on their reports.

*Lack of realistic growth within the company. Yes, you can apply to other departments but there is a lack of career path or training that can take you to the next step.

* Overload of tenured employees who are just waiting to retire. Time to start hiring fresh employees so the workplace can be more productive .

*Technology could be improved as well. Some programs we use are outdated .

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees work hard for you and you were once in their shoes . Always remain humble when having teaching moments.

4. "Genuinely care for their members & employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a financial institution they are very focused on what their employees need and want. The Employee Benefits are excellent - free health coverage, product & loan discounts and great leave benefits (including Volunteer leave and this year we get extra time off for Fridays over Summer). Obsessed with member service (in a good way!) so they will change things to better for members based on real feedback. They do a lot with the local community they serve which is very rewarding. Work/life balance is excellent, no expectation to always be on call unlike a lot of Bay Area employers.

Cons

In the past we have been slow to implement/invest in changes to systems and new processes. That said, management are committed to getting things right and I have seen a new focus on updating and improving the way we do things including investment in internal systems.

Advice to Management

Keep the dialogue open with staff. This will help to continue making good changes that benefit us and members.

"Personal Account Officer"

I worked at Provident Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of good people working there, members are very supportive, a lot of opportunities to get out in the community to promote provident. company paid for all benefits for employee

Cons

Sales goals for all branches were the same regardless of traffic or type of traffic coming into the branch. As a result, the same branches were exceeding their goals every month and the same branches were falling way short of their goals. To make matters worse- Our reviews were in large part based on the sales performance of the branch regardless of what was being done by the person on a day to day basis. Basically it was nearly impossible for someone at a low volume branch to have a great review.

If you worked at a high volume branch- you were set

Apr 25, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed supporting our members within your branch and local community. We like to work together to support and service our members. This is also why we have... More

6. "Personal Account Advisor"

Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Account Advisor in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From Recruitment and Onboarding, Training to doing the actual work, my experience with Provident has been nothing short of fulfilling. At every opportunity, we have leaders like Walt, Claudia and Ishan who remind everyone in the Credit Union's call center operations how our work is appreciated. This results to highly engaged Personal Account Advisors who want to achieve more and do more as gratitude to having such supportive leadership.
    My more tenured peers are eager to mentor and guide newly hired advisors that I get excited at the thought of being able to do the same for the ones that have yet to join the team.

I worked for call centers for decades, I can safely say that it usually isn't an easy job. But with Provident, it isn't unusual for you to be remembered by the members you get to interact with on a regular basis so much that you get to have an actual human connection with them.

Cons

Technology, systems, end-to-end process alignment

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It feels great knowing that our leaders are within reach and approachable. You have a diverse talent pool and it will be exciting to see how this diversity is fostered in the years to come.

Apr 25, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Thanks for the great review. We are glad to have you as part of the team. We will continue to review and improve upon our systems and processes. If you haven’t done so already make sure you pass on... More

7. "PAA"

Pros

Good working environment at Provident Credit Union

Cons

Antiquated messy systems that need refining.

Advice to Management

Work with employees to solve issues

Apr 25, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your review. It’s great to see you have enjoyed your time with Provident. We will continue to review and improve upon our systems and processes. We love hearing from our employees and... More

8. "Corporate"

I have been working at Provident Credit Union full-time

Pros

Very nice employee benefits and good work life balance

Cons

A bit slow to adapt new policies and processes

"Some great people but too many incompetent people."

Former Employee - Member Service Representative
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative

I worked at Provident Credit Union part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are paid for 100% if you are a full-time employee. Tuition reimbursement available for part-time and full-time employees. A couple more holidays observed than most workplaces which is nice.

Cons

Far too many long time employees who have difficulty adapting to changes with technology. A huge disconnect with employees who work at headquarter and the branches to the point where it feels like we are working for two separate company. Pay raises are nonexistent even for those who work their butts off.

Advice to Management

Train your staffs within the call center to give accurate information to members when they call. More often times than not, different information is given from the call center that cannot be fulfill at the branch level and members become irate and upset when they visit the branch and are told their requests cannot be accommodated.

10. "PAA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Pros

The benefits are a plus!

Cons

-A lot of tenured people in the corporate office makes it hard for change and newer people to do things effectively
    -Difficult to move up the unclear career ladder
    -Their products that you have to know (on the branch and sales side) are kind of ridiculous

Advice to Management

Take the employees side and be there for them when they need support.