Provident Funding Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Craig Pica

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Entry level salaries are respectable (in 15 reviews)

• You can really learn the technical side of the mortgage industry inside and out (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers will micro manage you, there really isn't any room for advancement, middle managers lack people skills, you will be treated like a robot (in 5 reviews)

• As others indicated, no matching 401K or sick days (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good pay, good opportunities"

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Durham, NC

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started here right after my undergraduate degree as a credit analyst, which is basically a mortgage underwriter. The pay is good and the hours are typical. The work is what you would expect from underwriting mortgages- pay a lot of attention to detail on the same kinds of documents over and over again. There is a lot to be learned doing it and the management are mostly supportive if you are actually working and making progress. You can really learn the technical side of the mortgage industry inside and out. The business is run very efficiently and has an outstanding business model.

Cons

The work is repetitive and staring at a computer screen all day can get to you. This, however, is what you should expect from any job of this sort. Provident Funding is no exception.

2. "Servicing Analyst"

Former Employee - Client Service Analyst/Accounting Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Client Service Analyst/Accounting Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire people who are looking for careers. They teach you from the ground up; You get a 2 week training program where you learn everything about the company history, the platform, and product knowledge. You spend 2-6 months in servicing role depending on your work ethic. Take as many calls as you can. From there you can move into nearly any department you want too. They are really about helping the employee find their niche. Really great team structure; you always have someone to assist with any problems. Pay increases regularly with time put in.

Cons

Very corporate feel. but its mortgages not a brewery. Work environment as quite as a Church. Some people like a more ambiance. 8-5 job hours with lack of leniency.

Lack of interaction from Leadership in news and agenda of the company.

Advice to Management

Would advise better atmosphere for employees. Would create greater incentive for people wanting to stay long term.

3. "Great Entry Level Position"

I worked at Provident Funding full-time

Pros

Great pay and willing to hire college students with little experience

Cons

There is not much room for growth.

4. "Stable and Loyal Company"

Current Employee - Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This business is clearly not for everyone based on some of the other reviews, lot of people started with the company right out of school, and some people find its not what they wanted to do. For those that want to build a career in the mortgage business its a great place to work. It is a company where you get out what you put in. Hard work and accomplishments are rewarded. You do have to take some initiative to get ahead, but if you communicate your goals they will help you reach them and promotions are based on merit not seniority. The company is very loyal to its employees, never having made a mass layoff despite the market is unheard of for mortgage companies. You receive a performance evaluation every year and get the opportunity for a pay increase annually based on performance. Multiple offices with opportunity to transfer to new location if you want to move. Company has improved significantly over past several years in listening to its employees, and making changes for the better to how it operates. Large discount is offered to employees who want to get a loan as a benefit, allows you to get very good mortgage rate. Overall a great place to work and a very stable company.

Cons

Employee experience can vary some depending on which department you work within. Most entry level roles involve high levels of direct customer interaction. No matter what role you are in, you will have to work hard, and hard work is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Better retirement benefit options

5. "Former employee of Provident, I worked there 7yrs & the reason I am no loner there is medical reasons! Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist, Mailroom Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist, Mailroom Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pro's: Job Security, Great pay, Steady Full time and part hours, Good Benefits, Friendly/positive work environment, advancement/growth opportunities within company.

Cons

Not a variety of different work hours available ( Standard 8-5pm M-F)

Advice to Management

Karen Fetherolf is an Amazing Supervisor! Hi Lori and Craig Pica!

6. "Good place to start"

I worked at Provident Funding full-time

Pros

Good training program. Easy promotions

Cons

No matching 401k, you work like a robot, no appreciation

Advice to Management

Care more about employees

7. "Analyst"

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous leave consideration was given to me. Maternity leave extension was granted with no difficulty and I was even allowed to return part time for a while. Every year my sick days were increased which I could use for myself or my children. The company really cares about the employees and COO personally helps anyone who needs it. I quit to stay home with my children but would definitely return.

Cons

The work can be hard and complicated. You have to learn quickly and be a self starter. Sometimes it is too quiet at work.

Advice to Management

Offer a debit card for FSA.

8. "Servicing Analyst"

Pros

Great pay when starting out of college
    Really enjoyed my co workers
    Steady schedule
    Good opportunities to move within the company

Cons

Some of the managers were hard to work with

"Mortgage Closer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Provident Funding full-time

Pros

Easy job out of college.

Cons

Company tends to over promise and under deliver.

Advice to Management

Provide more transparency during the hiring process.

10. "Underwriter"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Provident Funding (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gain skills needed in order to break into the industry. Can make overtime and cross train into other positions; increasing your knowledge base and skill set

Cons

Not much room for upward mobility