Provident Funding Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Craig Pica

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Entry level salaries are respectable (in 15 reviews)

• The best reason to work at Provident Funding is the job security (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers will micro manage you, there really isn't any room for advancement, middle managers lack people skills, you will be treated like a robot (in 5 reviews)

• As others indicated, no matching 401K or sick days (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Entry Level Position"

I worked at Provident Funding full-time

Pros

Great pay and willing to hire college students with little experience

Cons

There is not much room for growth.

2. "Stable and Loyal Company"

Current Employee - Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This business is clearly not for everyone based on some of the other reviews, lot of people started with the company right out of school, and some people find its not what they wanted to do. For those that want to build a career in the mortgage business its a great place to work. It is a company where you get out what you put in. Hard work and accomplishments are rewarded. You do have to take some initiative to get ahead, but if you communicate your goals they will help you reach them and promotions are based on merit not seniority. The company is very loyal to its employees, never having made a mass layoff despite the market is unheard of for mortgage companies. You receive a performance evaluation every year and get the opportunity for a pay increase annually based on performance. Multiple offices with opportunity to transfer to new location if you want to move. Company has improved significantly over past several years in listening to its employees, and making changes for the better to how it operates. Large discount is offered to employees who want to get a loan as a benefit, allows you to get very good mortgage rate. Overall a great place to work and a very stable company.

Cons

Employee experience can vary some depending on which department you work within. Most entry level roles involve high levels of direct customer interaction. No matter what role you are in, you will have to work hard, and hard work is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Better retirement benefit options

3. "Former employee of Provident, I worked there 7yrs & the reason I am no loner there is medical reasons! Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist, Mailroom Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist, Mailroom Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pro's: Job Security, Great pay, Steady Full time and part hours, Good Benefits, Friendly/positive work environment, advancement/growth opportunities within company.

Cons

Not a variety of different work hours available ( Standard 8-5pm M-F)

Advice to Management

Karen Fetherolf is an Amazing Supervisor! Hi Lori and Craig Pica!

4. "Good place to start"

I worked at Provident Funding full-time

Pros

Good training program. Easy promotions

Cons

No matching 401k, you work like a robot, no appreciation

Advice to Management

Care more about employees

5. "Analyst"

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous leave consideration was given to me. Maternity leave extension was granted with no difficulty and I was even allowed to return part time for a while. Every year my sick days were increased which I could use for myself or my children. The company really cares about the employees and COO personally helps anyone who needs it. I quit to stay home with my children but would definitely return.

Cons

The work can be hard and complicated. You have to learn quickly and be a self starter. Sometimes it is too quiet at work.

Advice to Management

Offer a debit card for FSA.

6. "Servicing Analyst"

Pros

Great pay when starting out of college
    Really enjoyed my co workers
    Steady schedule
    Good opportunities to move within the company

Cons

Some of the managers were hard to work with

"Mortgage Closer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Provident Funding full-time

Pros

Easy job out of college.

Cons

Company tends to over promise and under deliver.

Advice to Management

Provide more transparency during the hiring process.

8. "Underwriter"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Provident Funding (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gain skills needed in order to break into the industry. Can make overtime and cross train into other positions; increasing your knowledge base and skill set

Cons

Not much room for upward mobility

9. "Mortgage Consultant"

Former Employee - Mortgage Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to make commission, nice co workers

Cons

Not much room for advancement
    Benefits not good

Advice to Management

better transparency

"Dysfunctional Company"

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good entry level job, good annual raises. Decent entry level job if you have no other options. But the job itself blows. The senior managers are liars snd awful people yet have the CEOs full support so are untouchable. So, middle managers try to emulate them as matching their a-holeness. While this is hard to do, they give it a good shot. Don't work here if you want to ever be treated with any respect. You won't be. If they feel the company needs you elsewhere, they'll move you whether you want a complete job change or not. If you're an underwriter, they'll make you make collection calls over night and tell you that you have a terrible attitude if you don't get excited about your move. The CEO recently loosened up his guidelines considerably. Either he's been totally wrong in his thought process since 1991 or he's selling. Since he never thinks he's wrong, I think he's selling soon. Managers at this company would have difficulty transitioning to other companies so they better hope he decides not to sell. Would not recommend anyone to work here unless desperate.

Cons

No upward mobility opportunities, terrible benefits, treated with complete disrespect from middle management, CEO nowhere to be found and will probably sell company soon. You'll have to answer to awful people if you're employed there. The people in charge would be an HR nightmare at a normal corporation. But since the owners wife and COO runs HR, weirdly there are very few complaints.

Advice to Management

They don't care about anyone else's opinions on any level so won't waste the abundant advice I have for them