Provident Funding Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 22, 2017

5.0
Craig Pica

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Entry level salaries are respectable (in 16 reviews)

• You can really learn the technical side of the mortgage industry inside and out (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No 401k match, no sick days, expensive health insurance, 12 days of PTO/year, no maternity leave (in 24 reviews)

• It would be nice to have a 401k match and more leniency with make up time (in 20 reviews)

1. "Servicing Analyst"

Former Employee - Client Service Analyst/Accounting Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Client Service Analyst/Accounting Analyst in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire people who are looking for careers. They teach you from the ground up; You get a 2 week training program where you learn everything about the company history, the platform, and product knowledge. You spend 2-6 months in servicing role depending on your work ethic. Take as many calls as you can. From there you can move into nearly any department you want too. They are really about helping the employee find their niche. Really great team structure; you always have someone to assist with any problems. Pay increases regularly with time put in.

Cons

Very corporate feel. but its mortgages not a brewery. Work environment as quite as a Church. Some people like a more ambiance. 8-5 job hours with lack of leniency.

Lack of interaction from Leadership in news and agenda of the company.

Advice to Management

Would advise better atmosphere for employees. Would create greater incentive for people wanting to stay long term.

2. "Stable and Loyal Company"

Current Employee - Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This business is clearly not for everyone based on some of the other reviews, lot of people started with the company right out of school, and some people find its not what they wanted to do. For those that want to build a career in the mortgage business its a great place to work. It is a company where you get out what you put in. Hard work and accomplishments are rewarded. You do have to take some initiative to get ahead, but if you communicate your goals they will help you reach them and promotions are based on merit not seniority. The company is very loyal to its employees, never having made a mass layoff despite the market is unheard of for mortgage companies. You receive a performance evaluation every year and get the opportunity for a pay increase annually based on performance. Multiple offices with opportunity to transfer to new location if you want to move. Company has improved significantly over past several years in listening to its employees, and making changes for the better to how it operates. Large discount is offered to employees who want to get a loan as a benefit, allows you to get very good mortgage rate. Overall a great place to work and a very stable company.

Cons

Employee experience can vary some depending on which department you work within. Most entry level roles involve high levels of direct customer interaction. No matter what role you are in, you will have to work hard, and hard work is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Better retirement benefit options

3. "Former employee of Provident, I worked there 7yrs & the reason I am no loner there is medical reasons! Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist, Mailroom Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist, Mailroom Clerk in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pro's: Job Security, Great pay, Steady Full time and part hours, Good Benefits, Friendly/positive work environment, advancement/growth opportunities within company.

Cons

Not a variety of different work hours available ( Standard 8-5pm M-F)

Advice to Management

Karen Fetherolf is an Amazing Supervisor! Hi Lori and Craig Pica!

4. "Analyst"

I worked at Provident Funding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous leave consideration was given to me. Maternity leave extension was granted with no difficulty and I was even allowed to return part time for a while. Every year my sick days were increased which I could use for myself or my children. The company really cares about the employees and COO personally helps anyone who needs it. I quit to stay home with my children but would definitely return.

Cons

The work can be hard and complicated. You have to learn quickly and be a self starter. Sometimes it is too quiet at work.

Advice to Management

Offer a debit card for FSA.

5. "Underwriter"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Tampa, FL

I worked at Provident Funding (More than a year)

Pros

It was a great experience working at Provident Funding, but I had to move to a location of the country were the company did not have any locations, so I had to resign.

Cons

I have not bad comments about Provident Funding.

"Origination"

Current Employee - Origination in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Origination in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is established within the mortgage industry by employing ethical standards - best rate mortgages for best qualified customers. The work environment allows for best and brightest to shine through - hard workers, self-motivators, dedicated to high standards employees will be noticed and leveraged. Executive Management's vision is clear - organized structure, high expectations, and structured advancement.

Cons

Retirement benefit may be up to par within industry, but company compensates by rewarding through base pay, pay raises, and commission/bonuses - hard workers and dedicated to company are rewarded.

Advice to Management

Continue to set vision clear - organized structure, expectation for high standards

7. "Great Opportunity if You Work Hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time

Pros

The company rewads hard work done well. Starting pay is well above market and if you perform well over 10% raises are common. Conversely, if you don't perform well and think you will slide, this is not the right company. I've seen them move quick to remove those employees, which I personally appreciate. Additional opportunities and responsibilities come as you demonstrate your ability. There are great coworkers who are mostly recent college grads. Our CEO talks to us to provide company strategy and market updates.

Cons

It would be nice to have a 401k match and more leniency with make up time.

Advice to Management

You've built a fantastic company with a great business model. Keepic rewarding your best employees, we appreciate it!

8. "Get what you give"

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

•Upper management-We have conference calls once a month where members of upper management talk to us about the past month, future goals and what is going on in the mortgage world. I’ve never gotten off a conference call not feeling confident about the company’s future. Upper management really seems to have it together.
    •In periods where companies in the mortgage industry are laying off employees in droves, Provident Funding seems committed to making the best of the situation by either cross-training employees or restructuring to take advantage of other opportunities in the sector.
    •Little micromanaging- Many branches don’t even have management at the branch. When management is in the branch, they sit in the bullpen with the rest of the employees and make themselves easily available and approachable.
    •Career opportunities- If you make an effort, they’ll make an effort. This is a fairly small company so every employee has the opportunity to be recognized. In the time I’ve been with the company, I’ve been given so many opportunities-some without me even having to ask. If you do a good job, you’ll be rewarded.
    •Great work environment- They recruit people based on the obvious grades, extracurricular, etc., but they also take into account the other employees at the branch and how a candidate would fit in with current employees.
    Way more pros than cons to this company, this is a really great company to work for and those complaining probably didn't realize what they had/have

Cons

•They could be a little more flexible when it comes to the 8-5 work day. I’m sure some employee abused a more flexible work day and ruined it for the rest of us, but it would be nice if we could a schedule doctor’s appointment over our lunch break and not break out in a cold sweat trying to get back to the office within the hour.
    •They don’t provide a 401K match.

Advice to Management

Keep Summer Fridays, be a little more flexible, and consider a 401K match after an employee has been with the company an X amt. of time

9. "Company executes well, room for employees to take ownership"

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flat structure, little micromanaging, breadth and variety of job duties, compensation, overtime often available, stable company, doesn't implement fads or gimmicks but builds momentum through consistent execution of the basics, leading to continuity in work expectations and environment.

Cons

"Soft" employee perks such as fringe benefits package and scheduling flexibility

Advice to Management

Opportunities for increasing scheduling flexibility without detrimentally affecting production exist and can be taken advantage of to increase worker satisfaction

"You get what you put in"

Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter and Closer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Mortgage Underwriter and Closer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Provident Funding full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Hard work is noticed and rewarded
    -Fellow employees are friendly and easy to get along with
    -Good pay and great increases
    -Upper management is easily accessible and willing to listen to ideas
    -Promotions are earned and not given for tenure

Employees need to understand the basis of the company and be on board with the overall goal. Provident creates a very concrete product and expects its employees to do this efficiently. If you are not found of working hard and actually earning what you make, I suggest you steer clear. Great company to work for with solid ideals and morals in a less than par industry. Helps to build great communication and multitasking skills as well as a solid work ethic.

For the reviewers who stated the job consists of looking at a computer screen for 8+ hours, I ask, what did you expect to do with that finance or accounting degree?

Cons

-Structure for advancement could be clearer