Provo Canyon School Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Bill Parkes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"I've really enjoyed working at Provo Canyon School as a Student Life Mentor."

Current Employee - Student Life Counselor in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Student Life Counselor in Orem, UT

I have been working at Provo Canyon School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits, often a very chill job, and very rewarding. Staff are awesome which makes the job much better.

Cons

Occasionally, crap hits the fan and the students get a little wild. Not the best relations between staff and CEO or the higher ups.

Advice to Management

Pay more/ treat employees better

2. "Student mentor"

Current Employee - Student Mentor in Springville, UT
    Current Employee - Student Mentor in Springville, UT

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding line of work. Knowing you can make a difference in someone's life

Cons

Management SUCKS. we as staff are the ones that work with these kids Everyday. the therapists there are a joke. They are rude to us staff and think they know everything. They maybe spend 1 hour a week with these kids and do NOT know what they go thru.

Advice to Management

Management needs to show that we as the direct supporters of these kids that we matter. We know more about these kids than their do. We are hands on all day alls they do is sit on their big butts in their cozy little offices and have meetings tof tell us what we're doing wrong. We are the ones that get hurt when the kids blow up. Upper management is just blatantly rude. If it wasn't for us busting are butts they couldn't run this place. They need to show us that they are grateful for what we do.

"Leadership is from the Ego and self serving"

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful employees. Benefits are great (if your wages can afford them). The purpose and mission is to make a real change for the life of our youth.

Cons

Employees are unsafely overworked and extremely underpaid. Leadership/Directors are the only ones that benefit from the sacrifice and hard work of the very people that keep the company in business. Employees are not recognized or treated well. Poor treatment of staff then filters down to poor care/treatment of patients. The purpose and mission is always being pushed aside to make way for appearance, numbers, and ego. Everyone operates in crisis/reaction mode which creates unnecessary stress.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to the greedy and self serving ways in which you show up in life. Open your heart to compassion and remember the purpose and mission you claim. Invest in your employees and the entire dynamics will change company wide. Create a proactive, happy, and safe environment for your staff and students.

4. "Student Life Mentor"

Current Employee - Student Life Mentor in Springville, UT
    Current Employee - Student Life Mentor in Springville, UT

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working with the kids. Job can be fulfilling. Friendly staff for the most part. Free meal during shift. It keeps you on your toes. Benefits are good. Overtime is available.

Cons

Poor communication. Staff is very unappreciated. Pay is awful. Reviews are annually, but raises aren't given often. If you do get an annual raise, be prepared for .01¢ to .25¢. Management is horrible. They take in patients we are not equipped to handle. Even though Mentors spend 30+ hours a week with the girls, therapists 2 hours a week, and nurses just for meds, mentors are disregarded as well as their input. Don't expect a weekend off or a holiday. The turnover is high. No appreciation is shown to low level employees, even though we do the majority of it. Always short staffed.

Advice to Management

Treat your mentors better. They spend 95% of the time with the patients. Pay raises would be nice. Quit treating us like we are replaceable. PRN staff work just as much, if not more than full time. Learn about the patient before they are accepted and make sure we are equipped to handle them. They are in need of help more than you are of the insurance payment. When increasing the starting pay, up everyone's pay. Also, some appreciation would be nice!

"Tough but rewarding field"

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time

Pros

The best part abot working here is my coworkers. It is tough trying to help the residents inprove their lives, but the people I work with are great. It can also be very rewarding to see some positive affects from what we try to do for the students.

Cons

It is emotionally hard to deal with troubled youth all day.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

6. "Student Life Mentor"

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time

Pros

Free dinner, difficult girls to work with but ends up being really rewarding

Cons

Everything else. Under appreciated overworked. Lower and upper management don't listen to your concerns. You are undermined in front of the clients they don't know how to give helpful criticism. You are way underpaid for the position. They keep coming up with new rules for you to follow even though when you were hired you were promised something different and those rules only make it ten times harder to do your job. The Student Life mentor staff are fantastic to work with coworkers are great. Lower management talks bad about girls( patients) and the staff. You can't trust a word they say. Stabing in the back is a reality, not an if but a when. The burn out rate is high, and no one seems to care. They have a lot of improvement but since they don't care nothing will change

Advice to Management

Respect your children and don't just see them a paycheck. Screen the people that come in, so we don't have crazy low functioning kids that will never leave and ultimately become a liability. Work with the girl's works with your staff. Don't gossip about your employees to subordinates fire some of your supervisors who don't know what they are doing and take everything so personally; they destroy the work environment for employees that aren't even involved. Also, don't allow your employees to talk crap on the girls even though they are in bed. It is highly unprofessional and is uncalled for especially when your supervisors are the ones doing most of the trash talking for no legitimate reason. Hire more staff to keep the state quota of 1 to every three none of this BS to every four girls by having a floater between 3 cottages full of 16 girls a piece. Have your supervisors actually visit every cottage multiple times and not be so freaking LAZY. Train Your STAFF from supervisors up on how to Actually lead.

7. "Excellent Place to Work"

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at a place that really makes a difference in the lives of the individual students that attend the school. Great people to work with and supportive leadership.

Cons

Emotionally challenging but highly rewarding

Advice to Management

Keep advocating and supporting the direct care staff

8. "Lack of Leadership"

Current Employee - Student Life Counselor in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Student Life Counselor in Provo, UT

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers. Chance to make a positive impact on kids that need good role models. Free cafeteria meals during shifts. Good healthcare benefits.

Cons

Dysfunctional Upper Management lacks leadership. Poor communication. Very unorganized. Poor relationship, check that, NO relationship with lower-level workers. Felt under-appreciated and under-valued from upper management. Immediate supervisor was awesome.

Advice to Management

Fix the disconnect between upper-management and low-level workers. Management is out of touch with the day-to-day operations with student life counselors and the clients. You cannot truly get a sense of what things are like by simply looking at video footage and reading reports. Get to know your low-level employees and spend regular time in the unit environment.

9. "Watch your back"

Former Employee - Therapist in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Therapist in Provo, UT

I worked at Provo Canyon School (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay and good benefits for position.

Cons

Lot of people willing to stab you in the back

Advice to Management

Keep to yourself. Out of sight out of mind.

10. "Therapist"

Pros

Great benefits package, free lunch, flexible schedule

Cons

Working with a difficult population - it is hard to measure success or progress with clients