Provo Canyon School Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Parkes

1. "Excellent Place to Work"

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at a place that really makes a difference in the lives of the individual students that attend the school. Great people to work with and supportive leadership.

Cons

Emotionally challenging but highly rewarding

Advice to Management

Keep advocating and supporting the direct care staff

2. "Student Life Mentor"

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time

Pros

Free dinner, difficult girls to work with but ends up being really rewarding

Cons

Everything else. Under appreciated overworked. Lower and upper management don't listen to your concerns. You are undermined in front of the clients they don't know how to give helpful criticism. You are way underpaid for the position. They keep coming up with new rules for you to follow even though when you were hired you were promised something different and those rules only make it ten times harder to do your job. The Student Life mentor staff are fantastic to work with coworkers are great. Lower management talks bad about girls( patients) and the staff. You can't trust a word they say. Stabing in the back is a reality, not an if but a when. The burn out rate is high, and no one seems to care. They have a lot of improvement but since they don't care nothing will change

Advice to Management

Respect your children and don't just see them a paycheck. Screen the people that come in, so we don't have crazy low functioning kids that will never leave and ultimately become a liability. Work with the girl's works with your staff. Don't gossip about your employees to subordinates fire some of your supervisors who don't know what they are doing and take everything so personally; they destroy the work environment for employees that aren't even involved. Also, don't allow your employees to talk crap on the girls even though they are in bed. It is highly unprofessional and is uncalled for especially when your supervisors are the ones doing most of the trash talking for no legitimate reason. Hire more staff to keep the state quota of 1 to every three none of this BS to every four girls by having a floater between 3 cottages full of 16 girls a piece. Have your supervisors actually visit every cottage multiple times and not be so freaking LAZY. Train Your STAFF from supervisors up on how to Actually lead.

3. "Lack of Leadership"

Current Employee - Student Life Counselor in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Student Life Counselor in Provo, UT

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers. Chance to make a positive impact on kids that need good role models. Free cafeteria meals during shifts. Good healthcare benefits.

Cons

Dysfunctional Upper Management lacks leadership. Poor communication. Very unorganized. Poor relationship, check that, NO relationship with lower-level workers. Felt under-appreciated and under-valued from upper management. Immediate supervisor was awesome.

Advice to Management

Fix the disconnect between upper-management and low-level workers. Management is out of touch with the day-to-day operations with student life counselors and the clients. You cannot truly get a sense of what things are like by simply looking at video footage and reading reports. Get to know your low-level employees and spend regular time in the unit environment.

5. "Watch your back"

Former Employee - Therapist in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Therapist in Provo, UT

I worked at Provo Canyon School (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay and good benefits for position.

Cons

Lot of people willing to stab you in the back

Advice to Management

Keep to yourself. Out of sight out of mind.

6. "Therapist"

Pros

Great benefits package, free lunch, flexible schedule

Cons

Working with a difficult population - it is hard to measure success or progress with clients

7. "Student Life"

Current Employee - Student Life Counselor in Springville, UT
    Current Employee - Student Life Counselor in Springville, UT

I have been working at Provo Canyon School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to help students achieve goals and better themselves. Good benefits Package for Full-time employees.

Cons

High level of stress and extreme wear on patience. Struggle to see the real benefit of working in such an environment.

Advice to Management

The improvements we have made over the last year have been great. However, we need a position that actually goes to review patients before we admit them into our programs. Some employees struggle to see the luxury of the benefits we receive. However, if we would get a firm grip or even a strong handle on the patients we admit and make sure they are appropriate for our programs it would be a completely different working experience for the organization as a whole. Moreover, a better one at that.

8. "Not bad for a college job"

I worked at Provo Canyon School full-time

Pros

Free time to study, watch tv, or read.
    Kids are usually pretty nice to the night staff because they know we can make their lives miserable.

Cons

Routine 15-minute checkups on the kids bundled with paperwork that takes about 10 minutes to complete for each checkup. Most of the night you're either walking around checking up on the kids, or filling in papers saying "yep, they're still asleep".
    Lack of communication between shifts, especially the nightwatch and management.
    Staff outnumbered by kids at night by about 20 to 1 with no extra staff available to help if things go wrong.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to keep all shifts on the same page as far as info and updates.
    Hire an extra night-staff or two to help prevent issues from the kids and to better deal with those issues when they should arise.

9. "Working with at risk youth in correctional/school facility"

Former Employee - Team Coach in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Team Coach in Orem, UT

I worked at Provo Canyon School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

seeing my work influence teens was awesome, lots of flexiblity with activities and free time. made good friends with fellow staff.

Cons

horrible hours (shift work, I worked swing shift 3pm-11pm) and days off are weird (you always end up working at least some time on a weekend). Low pay for how stressful the work can be sometimes.

10. "Good people, decent flexibility, horrible work experience."

Pros

The people were always great to work with. Free food was decent and the pay was good.

Cons

Really, really hard work environment. Constant pressure on the job, and you work long hours to make sure everything is covered. Have to deal with a lot of emotional and physical stress.

Advice to Management

Provide better support for your employees in the way rules are consistently followed, and everyone gets necessary training before being promoted.

11. "Not willing to make changes"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor

I worked at Provo Canyon School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provo Canyon accepts extremely high-risk kids. The kids' risk levels were definitely lowered while they were in our care. It was great being able to build relationships with kids from all over the country and world. Your problems in life always seem less when you are looking at some of these kids and the lives they have led. The company is full of people who genuinely care, and want the best for the kids. I loved working there for the kids, and the relationships you build with your co-workers. You had to rely on each other, because you were often being put in potentially dangerous situations.

You eat free meals with the kids while you are on shift, so it appeals to the college crowd. The benefits package is the best one I've ever had, sometimes I still miss my benefits from PCS! This is a product of the company being owned by the much larger Universal Health Services. The schedule works well for students going to school during the day (7-3, 3-11, 11-7) and the shorter shifts on the weekends were nice.

Cons

You will not have a Saturday/Sunday weekend. It will either be Monday/Tuesday or Thursday/Friday.

The company is full of "lifers" who have worked there for decades. The problem with this is that what we understand about psychology, mental illness, and behavioral problems has changed so much in the past 40 years. The company took its sweet time adjusting things to the current research-based standard. Now that it has begun to do that, it's playing catch up. They are quietly getting rid of the lifers, but often without cause.

You will deal with a lot of disrespect. You will be asked to write reports that nudge the truth into justifiable language. You will be involved in take downs (which they will not call that, as it sounds off-putting) and you will watch nurses inject kids with sedatives when they get out of control. If you can handle watching and participating in that, the benefits package is great.

You will be asked to work overtime, to work doubles, and even triples. Be prepared for that, as there will also be flakes you work with, and someone has to watch the kids. (unless you can have that on your conscience)

Advice to Management

Do not be afraid to change things up, try something new. Get rid of the old timers who shoot down every idea for improvement. Hold focus groups with an anonymous bunch of line staff. You will be surprised at the advice and ideas they give you. Listen to your people, they are what keep you in business. You have gone through 3 different CEOs recently. Make this one stick by listening to the people who have seen the others come and go.

Get rid of the condescension, the people who believe themselves above these kids. Listen to the kids when they write grievances. Some of them are spot on.