Prudential Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

1. Featured Review

"Director of eMarketing, Digital Strategy & Customer Experience"

Current Employee - Director of EMarketing, Digital Strategy & Customer Experience in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prudential has many business opportunities within its US Businesses. Commitment to diversity, innovation, development and work life balance is apparent throughout all of them.

Cons

Much like all companies benefits are a huge investment from the employer. Prudential takes benefits seriously and has put together a competitive package for its employees. However, benefits are costly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Leadership is mostly transparent to all levels of employees. Strategy is clear and communication is solid. Leaders of people are encouraged to continually develop their leadership skills. These are the makings of a good company to work for.

Oct 4, 2016 – Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're thrilled you've been having such a great experience working for Prudential!

2. "They walk the walk"

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company made up of principled, responsible, highly competent people. Strong emphasis on innovation and meaningful collaboration. Great work atmosphere.

Cons

Stuck between what they were - large, slow, cautious - and where they're headed. Still some friction as change is introduced, but moving in the right direction.

3. "Global Business & Technology"

Former Intern - Intern in Newark, NJ
    Former Intern - Intern in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great experience to familiarize with corporate culture
    -Employees are very kind and helpful
    -Welcoming corporate culture

Cons

-no cons that I experienced

5. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Consulting Director in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Consulting Director in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, compensation & good people to work with. Potential to learn and explore new technologies and work with different teams/vendors.

Cons

higher management vision and strategy, not so great competition within teams and at times work culture.

Mar 2, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience here. We're glad you enjoyed your time with us, and had the opportunity to grow and learn, and work alongside some great people. We most often hear that the reason ... More

6. "Hard work but rewarding"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No cap to how much you can make.

Cons

Hard work and long hours.

Advice to Management

None

Mar 13, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for your comments. We hope that you find Prudential to be a safe and open environment to voice your concerns to your Manager, Financial Services. We encourage all of our associates to share ... More

7. "Would recommend but things are changing."

Former Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and pay. Flexible schedule and alternative work arrangements. Collaborative environment. I have heard contract workers are rarely hired full time.

Cons

Focus on cutting costs by out-sourcing or in-sourcing. Management does not effectively share vision. Work life balance issues can be an issue as extended hours and weekends are often worked.

Feb 21, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughtful feedback. We're glad to hear you had a positive experience working for us, although we're concerned to hear that you faced challenges in ... More

"You can learn a lot if you're willing to work"

Current Employee - Director of Information Technology in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Director of Information Technology in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, work is interesting, work life balance, location (Newark) is improving thru efforts of the company in particular

Cons

Too much bureaucracy at times. Aside from that, it is a great place to work if this kind of work interests you

9. "Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free employee parking and shuttle service between Newark offices.

Cons

Draconian human resources practices when hiring and terminating employees from top global banks and asset managers. Highly political and insular culture amongst "Pru-lifers" still surviving in positions of authority.

Advice to Management

Stop recruiting talent from world class financial firms. They will become miserable soon after they learn how rigid and insecure many executives in the VP and SVP ranks really are.

Mar 21, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your candid feedback, and we're sorry to hear you didn't have a better experience working for us. We'd be interested in learning more, and suggest you email ... More

10. "Ancient technology, very segregated businesses, no consistency"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Short commute. People know the company name. I can't think of anything else.

Cons

Lotus notes still used! No investment in current technology: manual Excel spreadsheets are used in underwriting, sales, etc., which is prone to manual errors. There is no universal database or process...so you have Sales in 1 group doing work completely different from Sales in a different group. There are no consistent processes or sharing of information- each business group acts as its own independent company. The company claims they want to be modern and encourage the status quo...but once you do that you are told you are not a team player.

Benefits are very expensive and there are no co-pay plans...it's all deductible (which are high).

Advice to Management

Invest in modern technology and software. Don't encourage people to bring up new ideas and challenge old ones since you don't mean it. Break down the silos.

"Great Company Overall"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, competitive salary, tons of benefits, generous bonus structure, tons of professional development, a "sky's the limit" mentality, social responsible.

Cons

Limited Diversity in the C Suite, can stall out in a position, difficult to get to different levels

Jan 30, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback! It always makes us happy when employees call attention to our culture, opportunities for growth and development, and our generous benefits. We're thrilled you're having a ... More

Showing 426 of 1,604 reviews