Prudential Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated September 18, 2017

New York City, NY Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough at times (in 54 reviews)

• Long hours but good options to work from home (in 27 reviews)

1. "industry-leading company"

Current Employee - Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

outstanding Benefits, challenging work and profitable, stable company. probably everyone's best job and I hope they realize that. opportunity for growth if you wait long enough

Cons

super large company with multiple, spread out locations that make a lot of people feel exploited from the heartbeat of the company on the East Coast

Advice to Management

retain the top talent

2. "HUMAN RESOURCES"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work Environment and progressive Human Resources!

Cons

I am not able to think ofany cons.

Advice to Management

NONE/A

3. "Trade Operations"

Former Employee - Operations in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Operations in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay
    Opportunity to move up
    Good People
    Good Work Life Balance

Cons

Same thing everyday
    Can be very political
    High pressure low reward structure to job
    Some excellent mangers and some terrible ones

"Short review"

Former Employee - Director in Roseland, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Roseland, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Great benefits package.

Cons

Not enough guidance on company direction and strategy from senior management. Very limited career progression opportunities.

"This Corporate Department is run by a maniac."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Interesting business model.

Cons

Horribly managed corporate division run by a maniac know-it-all who has a bunch of "yes-men" on the senior leadership team . He get's Prudential resources and sells a good story but cannot lead and cannot deliver. Waiting for his to explode.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing

"Satisfactory"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To be part of a great Company who has turned Newark around. Great reputation, they are moral and ethical. Met some great people.

Cons

No work life balance, old management who have never experienced anything outside of Prudential. Older management needs to be retrained to keep up with the modern times.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, respect for their personal time and family. Acknowledge that they have spouses that work as well.

7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, people, many opportunities

Cons

None, lower comp than other firms

8. "Advisory"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Uniondale, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Uniondale, NY

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great! My manager and team are awesome, and the main reason why I love working here. There's a lot to know in this job but the fact that I can offer products and services from multiple companies (not just prudential) creates definite credibility with my clients.

Cons

Because there's so much information that has to be mastered to perform in this job, it can be challenging at times. Technology and products are changing constantly so you have to stay on top of that which can be time consuming. Also while some systems are new others are from a by gone era.

Advice to Management

Keep improving technology

9. "AML Specialist"

Current Contractor - AML Analyst in Morristown, NJ
    Current Contractor - AML Analyst in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Prudential as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

I cannot think of anything bad to say about this company

"You must pay them if you leave your job as an Advisor- rip off alert."

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some good people almost all have moved on to better jobs.

Cons

Want to be an Advisor say no to this company, they send you an invoice after you leave.

I am a 22 year veteran in the industry, I worked for this firm for 16 months the last 4-5 seeking a new situation. If you want to learn the business not here, if you have experience, do it anywhere but here.
    I produced, followed the rules, was promised management within 6 months with the kind of resume I had I was told that management would be an absolute in 6 months. The old bait and switch occurred, I got there and I produced as asked and exceeded the expectation, when I asked when would l I be moving to a managers role they changed the criteria and rules. I continued to produce and expand my practice.
    I trained every new person because the managers hire and abandon people, they have a ridiculous recruitment goal and no real incentive to develop their hires. I am mentoring/training people and continued producing very well. Despite the company mantra. “life pays the bills” meaning life insurance I was working on some life insurance and annuity cases but a lot of investment business which takes about 10 times longer to get done because they are not and will never be investment oriented as a firm. They only put in a CRM in 2016 because the DOL ruling forced their hand, they put in the most rudimentary version of Salesforce in place and expected all of us to stop production to enter clients, they could have hired data entry people for this at $12 an hour. This company has more ways to prevent you from doing business such as endless mandatory meetings, requests for data entry, endless training's in which they bring in someone who pontificates for 75 minutes and has not produced in years. Managers that are doing unscrupulous replacement of life insurance policies to produce commission for their hires and then they just stop that faucet flow after a few cases and leave them to call upon over worked brutalized clients that have had 5 Advisors in 3 years. Or they have them calling friends and family to buy insurance. Most of the managers that I met had so many issues/complaints on FINRA Broker Check you should never let them see your clients some even had assault and sexual assault reported on the criminal section of their FINRA File.

Now here is the fun part, I decide I cannot work in the environment and I decide to leave, I am still producing because I have to get paid (this is all commission), I finally give notice and have smartly planned to have only $2800 left in my draw account. I am told that I would have to wait FOURTEEN WEEKS after my last day to receive my final paycheck. I am not happy but I wait, well 15 weeks go by and I call payroll to be told that I misunderstood, I will get a letter that is mailed after FOURTEEN WEEKS telling me what my paycheck would be and then I will get it on the next payroll date. I wait and the letter arrives 16 weeks after my last day. AND….
    It tells me I owe Prudential $1958.22. There is a redacted statement explaining the inflow and charge backs for any advanced payment on commission that I had after I left the company. Funny thing is not one thing matched the spreadsheet that I produced for myself before I gave notice, not even close to the numbers I had, I called payroll and asked them if I sent them a blank piece of paper and it said, “send me $1958.22” would they send me a check? They said no, of course not, I asked them why they expected anyone to do just that? I had to ask four times for them to give me a deeper explanation and you would think they were giving me the launch codes for the nuclear arsenal. The information was still not enough to understand how I owed them money. I tried to reason with them and then I get a call from a law firm in Arizona trying to collect on me. So, my legal coverage at my new job is not fighting them for me, they also had to ask 7 times to get the contract they were reading because nowhere in the contract that I had did this little nugget appear and we still can’t find it because they refuse to send the document. So how do I owe them money and how did this happen? These slick managers call the clients tell them they have to see them, tell they that you left and they need new paper work signed. They get the cases assigned to… you guessed it some new hire that needs the commission to fulfill their obligation to get hired on contract. How do I know this? Someone that I am friends with in my old office was told this by a new hire who got other peoples cases.
    In my entire working life of over 35 years I have never ever been asked to pay for the privilege of working for a company. Especially a company that does not give me a paycheck, it is all commission, there is no expense reimbursement so all your gasoline, tolls and wear and tear on your car is your bill to carry. You can write it off however, you know that will never recoup all of the out of pocket. The benefits are so-so and expensive. In year two they throw you into a 1099 contract, you are entitled to benefits, 401(k) and they pay FICA but you are responsible for your own taxes. I saw 75-year-old agents still working there because they could not retire. Just the other day one of the young people that I mentored called me, he received a $300 invoice in the mail for his short 9 month stay at Prudential.
    They troll the internet, college campuses and job fairs, do not fall in the trap or you will go broke and owe them money in the end.

Advice to Management

Clean up your field offices, your managers are breaking rules left, right and center which just makes it harder for the Financial Services Industry to rid itself of the reputation it has with the public. Be part of the solution.

Pay a small salary and stop adding to the countries issue of credit debt. You are playing with peoples lives and their finances. Your salaries are public because it is a public company, shame on you while the other 99% work to make you more wealthy.
    Enter the 21st century and do what you do best, insurance, leave the investing to the rest of the industry.

Showing 471 of 1,802 reviews