Prudential Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 16, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough at times (in 58 reviews)

• Long hours but good options to work from home (in 27 reviews)

"CDP - Career Development Program"

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Prudential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have the best products in the industry for both Life Insurance and Annuities. You can still sell their product at another Broker Dealer as long as you are appointed and have a valid securities registration.

Cons

While I enjoyed learning so much about the business, I could have never imagined a company I admired so much could allow me to take the time to write a review. Every manager in the office receives a high base salary and an override on the business you write. Should you employ the help of your manager to write business be prepared to share half of your commission on top of the override they already receive. You pay $26.25 for 250 business cards, and a desk fee of $350.00 per month which is called a hotel; a desk that may or may not be available when you report to work. You pay for $1,000.00 for your own Errors & Omissions insurance, $5.00 per lead and $15.00 for your own bathroom key. Should you come to your senses and leave they will hold your last paycheck for 14 weeks from the date of resignation. Your are only paid on amounts over $4,800, which means if you write a 5,000.00 policy you are only paid 200.00. Also be prepared to hand over the last three years of tax returns during your on boarding process, be expected to write 1,600.00 in GDR per week and attend a conference call each Friday with your peers.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth about the pay structure, the hiring process, the quarterly business and marketing plan, the withholding of your last paycheck, the full contract and the actual training and support system. This is a great place to be for someone that is already established in the business, don’t hurt the people that have entrusted you with their finances.

Prudential Response

Nov 29, 2017 – Director, Talent Brand & Marketing

We appreciate the input we receive from former associates. We hope that you found Prudential to be a safe and open environment to voice your concerns while you were here. Even though you are no... More

"Marketing Assistant"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in South Portland, ME

I worked at Prudential part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really can’t think of anything. The systems are here to use. Management is inconsiderate. Pay is very little for the hassle

Cons

Low pay.
    Received text messages from management at 5AM, 8PM, weekends. No consideration for your personal time.
    Management is disorganized.
    Systems are hard to use and corporate keeps changing them.
    Wasn’t told until after I was hired I needed to use my own laptop.
    Interview to hired Time is 60 days TOO LONG

Prudential Response

Nov 9, 2017 – Director, Talent Brand & Marketing

"Don't work here"

Pros

I wish I could think of one

Cons

Too many to list, sorry.

Advice to Management

Get real and use some professionalism. Professionalism is not a word I would use when speaking about my low-level managers. The mid-level managers think they are on power trips. I do have respect for the CEO.

"Worst experience ever"

Pros

Overall the company has a good culture
    Great volunteering activities
    Good work life balance
    Good benefits
    Friendly senior leaders
    Great career development events

Cons

Team I was placed in was always looking for ways to make you look bad. Poor training and fake environment. Was not a good experience at all

"By far the worst company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The new building is nice & Newark is making a come back, but its not quite there yet.

Cons

Everyone is scared to take risks or make a mistake. Actually had to get Sr Managenent approval on what type of sandwiches to order for an event. I didnt think the benefits were that great, I had better benefits in the Pharma industry. Very behind the times technologically. A few bad apples at the top ruining the whole bunch. Also very boring culture. Panels of their own Sr. Management addressing the employees is their favorite form of presentation style, yawn...

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees. There us a wealth of knowledge & good ideas in the trenches. And get over yourselves with this Pru Polite thing. No one here is being polite, your culture encourages backstabbing with the way you do your 360 reviews.,

"Terrible experience"

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Dresher, PA
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Dresher, PA

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nothing good to say but if I have to I guess the benefits. Management worthless they all should be fired!

Cons

All they care about is production and quality. Everyone there walks on egg shells scared to make a mistake. If you make one mistake you get put on a plan 2 mistakes your out the door. Beware stay away!!

Advice to Management

Worthless!!

"CSR"

I worked at Prudential full-time

Pros

None to discuss

Cons

It's all about Politics

Advice to Management

Stop picking favorites

8. "Financial Advisor"

I have been working at Prudential full-time

Pros

Commission based - more you produce, more you get paid

Cons

On your own so you better be prepared

Advice to Management

More comphrensive training program

"This Corporate Department is run by a maniac."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Interesting business model.

Cons

Horribly managed corporate division run by a maniac know-it-all who has a bunch of "yes-men" on the senior leadership team . He get's Prudential resources and sells a good story but cannot lead and cannot deliver. Waiting for his to explode.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing

"You must pay them if you leave your job as an Advisor- rip off alert."

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some good people almost all have moved on to better jobs.

Cons

Want to be an Advisor say no to this company, they send you an invoice after you leave.

I am a 22 year veteran in the industry, I worked for this firm for 16 months the last 4-5 seeking a new situation. If you want to learn the business not here, if you have experience, do it anywhere but here.
    I produced, followed the rules, was promised management within 6 months with the kind of resume I had I was told that management would be an absolute in 6 months. The old bait and switch occurred, I got there and I produced as asked and exceeded the expectation, when I asked when would l I be moving to a managers role they changed the criteria and rules. I continued to produce and expand my practice.
    I trained every new person because the managers hire and abandon people, they have a ridiculous recruitment goal and no real incentive to develop their hires. I am mentoring/training people and continued producing very well. Despite the company mantra. “life pays the bills” meaning life insurance I was working on some life insurance and annuity cases but a lot of investment business which takes about 10 times longer to get done because they are not and will never be investment oriented as a firm. They only put in a CRM in 2016 because the DOL ruling forced their hand, they put in the most rudimentary version of Salesforce in place and expected all of us to stop production to enter clients, they could have hired data entry people for this at $12 an hour. This company has more ways to prevent you from doing business such as endless mandatory meetings, requests for data entry, endless training's in which they bring in someone who pontificates for 75 minutes and has not produced in years. Managers that are doing unscrupulous replacement of life insurance policies to produce commission for their hires and then they just stop that faucet flow after a few cases and leave them to call upon over worked brutalized clients that have had 5 Advisors in 3 years. Or they have them calling friends and family to buy insurance. Most of the managers that I met had so many issues/complaints on FINRA Broker Check you should never let them see your clients some even had assault and sexual assault reported on the criminal section of their FINRA File.

Now here is the fun part, I decide I cannot work in the environment and I decide to leave, I am still producing because I have to get paid (this is all commission), I finally give notice and have smartly planned to have only $2800 left in my draw account. I am told that I would have to wait FOURTEEN WEEKS after my last day to receive my final paycheck. I am not happy but I wait, well 15 weeks go by and I call payroll to be told that I misunderstood, I will get a letter that is mailed after FOURTEEN WEEKS telling me what my paycheck would be and then I will get it on the next payroll date. I wait and the letter arrives 16 weeks after my last day. AND….
    It tells me I owe Prudential $1958.22. There is a redacted statement explaining the inflow and charge backs for any advanced payment on commission that I had after I left the company. Funny thing is not one thing matched the spreadsheet that I produced for myself before I gave notice, not even close to the numbers I had, I called payroll and asked them if I sent them a blank piece of paper and it said, “send me $1958.22” would they send me a check? They said no, of course not, I asked them why they expected anyone to do just that? I had to ask four times for them to give me a deeper explanation and you would think they were giving me the launch codes for the nuclear arsenal. The information was still not enough to understand how I owed them money. I tried to reason with them and then I get a call from a law firm in Arizona trying to collect on me. So, my legal coverage at my new job is not fighting them for me, they also had to ask 7 times to get the contract they were reading because nowhere in the contract that I had did this little nugget appear and we still can’t find it because they refuse to send the document. So how do I owe them money and how did this happen? These slick managers call the clients tell them they have to see them, tell they that you left and they need new paper work signed. They get the cases assigned to… you guessed it some new hire that needs the commission to fulfill their obligation to get hired on contract. How do I know this? Someone that I am friends with in my old office was told this by a new hire who got other peoples cases.
    In my entire working life of over 35 years I have never ever been asked to pay for the privilege of working for a company. Especially a company that does not give me a paycheck, it is all commission, there is no expense reimbursement so all your gasoline, tolls and wear and tear on your car is your bill to carry. You can write it off however, you know that will never recoup all of the out of pocket. The benefits are so-so and expensive. In year two they throw you into a 1099 contract, you are entitled to benefits, 401(k) and they pay FICA but you are responsible for your own taxes. I saw 75-year-old agents still working there because they could not retire. Just the other day one of the young people that I mentored called me, he received a $300 invoice in the mail for his short 9 month stay at Prudential.
    They troll the internet, college campuses and job fairs, do not fall in the trap or you will go broke and owe them money in the end.

Advice to Management

Clean up your field offices, your managers are breaking rules left, right and center which just makes it harder for the Financial Services Industry to rid itself of the reputation it has with the public. Be part of the solution.

Pay a small salary and stop adding to the countries issue of credit debt. You are playing with peoples lives and their finances. Your salaries are public because it is a public company, shame on you while the other 99% work to make you more wealthy.
    Enter the 21st century and do what you do best, insurance, leave the investing to the rest of the industry.

Showing 149 of 1,890 reviews