Prudential Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 13, 2017

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be tough at times (in 57 reviews)

• Long hours but good options to work from home (in 27 reviews)

1. "Executive"

I have been working at Prudential full-time

Pros

140 year old company. Good Values and intention et Senior Executive level.

Cons

Although, Senior executives have the right intentions. There is too much politics and too many poor performers within the next tier below senior leadership (i.e. the Vice President levels). They tend to be poor leaders. They are articulate to Senior leadership, however, there is no follow-up to those that report into them.

Advice to Management

Meet with those that report to your Vice Presidents to get a true understanding of what is truly happening.

2. "O&C Specialist"

I worked at Prudential as a contractor

Pros

Great experience in the operations role.

Cons

The work environment wasn't great.

3. "Average at best"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Prudential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can make decent money, but it is only as to how big your network is and whether you want to "sell" to them

Cons

I felt like the opposite of Robin Hood. Trying to keep the clients best interest at heart was hard when the bonus structure is set up for you to bits "goals"

Advice to Management

Need more ethical standards

Prudential Response

Sep 27, 2017 – Director, Talent Brand & Marketing

We regret that your time at Prudential was not what you expected. Our goal is always to put our customers first so we are interested in learning more about your thoughts and experiences while you... More

4. "Customer service"

I worked at Prudential as a contractor

Pros

Campus is nice, ability to work from home too

Cons

Horrible hours, no room for advancement

Advice to Management

Contract to hire employees have no opportunity

"Company has no ethics or loyalty"

I have been working at Prudential full-time

Pros

Retiree health benefits and stock options

Cons

This review is for group insurance located in Roseland, NJ. They have been laying off and firing employees age 50+. Management would give a review but will provide negative comments to put you on probation and then fire you and will not change the comment even if it is proven false. The review is the company's documentation and it will be your word against their word. Believe this ADEA violation, but they throw in someone that is under 40 so that it will not be called age discrimination. Those employees that are removed have been in the company a long time and have greater knowledge than the college hire replacements. This all has to do with the bottom line as they have high expenses and need to trim expenses by end of 2017. They make employees work longer hours so that they can hire fewer employees and inexperience employees. Company states great work/life balance. Not the case as employees are working 10-12 hours a day and on weekends. Management expects the employees to complete all the work by unreasonable deadlines. However, no management is working late which causes employees be disgruntled. (If management expects employees to work late at night, set an example and do the same thing.) Beware that there is no promotions. If you work hard you will still have to post for the higher level job if it comes available. Also, non exempt employees (college grads) are working more than 40+ hours per week should be paid time and a half. based on Fair Labor Standard Act. Instead, management will give non exempt employees straight comp time and no overtime pay. Also, notice their are less minorities in Roseland. If you are a minority, it doesn't seem that you will last too long.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to listen to the front line employees and not management as they distort information in order to cover up faults and incompetence.

Prudential Response

Aug 22, 2017 – Director, Talent Brand & Marketing

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. Prudential is committed to doing business the right way, treating its employees fairly and complying with all of our legal obligations. We take all... More

6. "Financial professional associate"

Current Contractor - Financial Professional Associate in Marlton, NJ
    Current Contractor - Financial Professional Associate in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at Prudential as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Expansive benefits package. Great health insurance.

Cons

No base-pay. Little structure. There is very little help from management once your several month long training process is over. They do a profound amount of talking up their glorified pyramid scheme. Even the job plan schematic they hand out to you is shaped like a pyramid.

Advice to Management

Offer a base salary, and help your employees a little more. Don't try so hard to sell your existing life insurance clients additional insurance and products. It's a very alienating experience for both the customer as well as the financial professional.

"Analyst"

I have been working at Prudential full-time

Pros

The work life balance is great. Other things are not as clear. PGIM is the crown jewel.

Cons

The office is in newaek but demands NYC skillset

"Accounting"

I worked at Prudential full-time

Pros

Looks good on a resume.

Cons

Pay was low, had to pull teeth on initial offer to get something marginally decent.

Pru advertises a really awesome culture & values system; I didn't quite see this culture or value system ever be embodied or realized in day to day business interactions within the company.

Mostly due to corporate politics being at a nearly toxic-level. Petty, combative, and counter-productive environment when dealing with other departments. Have never encountered a place like this in my career....ever.

Too many managers, not enough workers.

Assigned expectations and responsibilities well beyond pay grade and description, which required excessive overtime to complete duties.

If you're lucky enough to realize you need to hold your "reports to" manager accountable for delivering on career-progression promises and timelines early on, there may be hope to progress and negotiate... that is IF you can simultaneously deal with the bureaucracy and Corporate-insanity politics that exist within this company.

You will be placed on a career-track that will not acknowledge your credentials, work-ethic, and quality of work until you've earned whatever the deemed "time-frame" of that internal tracker should be.

Hard work and merit don't matter here folks; it's all about how much time you've been with the company before anyone with power will *tangibly* acknowledge your value via pay/promotion, and put the title and money where their mouths are, UNLESS you're initially hired at a high level or executive level position to start.

Advice to Management

Execute the business strategies you spend so much time developing. Start collaborating and cut out the office politics.

9. "Unenjoyable working experience"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Prudential as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay and generous time off policy, There are some very kind and genuine people that work here, however, none of them become senior managers.

Cons

Popularity and perception are held in higher regard than hard work. Doing a good job and even going above and beyond often go unnoticed and unrewarded. Individuals who constantly delegate their responsibilities to other team members to spend time socializing with senior management are held in high regard and promoted.

Advice to Management

Put as much effort into employee appreciation as you put into events and happy hours for summer interns. Acknowledge and reward hard work.

"Terrible"

I worked at Prudential full-time

Pros

They paid well and they gave great benefits

Cons

The reason that I left was because my manager made up lies on my feedback.
    The HR team was unprofessional

Advice to Management

Employee reviews should be screened.

Showing 205 of 1,836 reviews