Prudential Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5

1,747 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work Life Balance is definitely not one of the thing if you are a high achiever (in 60 reviews)

• Long hours but good options to work from home (in 28 reviews)

"Financial advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of training on sales and leadership, access to the best products and carriers on the market

Cons

The hiring process is very misleading, recruiters don't outline all the risks associated with this career. Like I depleted all my savings completely, emptied all my credit cards and eventually stooped down to being completely broke and had to file for a bankruptcy after a year of working with Prudential, and this is not my personal issue because 9 out of 10 hires left the company within the first 3 months. And although Prudential keeps praising itself nonstop (they are very proud of their "ethical" culture and great team) but in fact it turns into a nightmare for non experienced advisors who struggle to survive. Actually they got sued for that approach in multiple class action lawsuits, which I've been a part of, so be prepared for blatant lie!!! Over the course of my employment I signed up almost all my friends and family members for their services and products (the same happened to the majority of my coworkers) and most likely these people'll remain the clients of the company because of the famous name of the brand Prudential. So it's a very smart business model when they don't really care about huge turn over and personnel retention because every new hire brings new piece of business to the company and Prudential doesn't invest much in their advisors compared to the stream of income they bring to the firm.

Advice to Management

Try to value the people rather than just care for the production, when you're talking about "support" for advisors come up with some sort of base salary, which will allow new advisors to get onboard and learn the craft rather than just waste their time talking on different topics during never ending unpaid call sessions, seminars, meetings etc.

Jan 23, 2018

As you know, a career in financial services can be very challenging yet also rewarding. We encourage all of our associates to share their challenges in order to address them. We are also interested... More

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Prudential (More than a year)

Pros

It was a paying job. There were a couple of the permanent reps who were actually pleasant and nice.

Cons

Management shows no respect to Temporary Employees. Management does not foster team environment. Temporary Employees are treated completely different and made to feel unappreciated. A lot of drama with the department. Management does not show any respect towards one other or to the subordinates.

Advice to Management

Treat the Temporary Staff with more respect and dignity.

Jan 12, 2018

We appreciate your candid review. If you would like to discuss this further we are interested in hearing from you. Please email us staffing@prudential.com.

"Don't ever work here!"

I worked at Prudential full-time

Pros

There really aren't very many pros to working at this company.

Cons

They did not provide me with the full actual compensation schedule until AFTER I signed the contract paperwork; if you leave they try to withhold your commissions and earnings for 14 weeks, so they can make it work out that you OWE THEM money. This is a horrible company for which to work!

Advice to Management

Get your acts together and figure your stuff out.

Jan 12, 2018

We regret that your time at Prudential was not what you expected. We are interested in learning more about what led you to form this opinion of management. Please contact our Global Business Ethics... More

4. "Analyst"

Pros

Okay place to work at.

Cons

Not the same as used to be.

Advice to Management

none

Jan 5, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. We value the opinions of our employees and encourage you to have open discussions with your manager.

"Awful Pay and misleading recruitment process"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Associate
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Associate

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can put that your have financial advising experience with prudential and people will believe it as they are a somewhat respected company. In reality, the training is non-existent and no one has time for you.

Cons

They say you make your own schedule but they require you to be in the office for nine hours worth of meetings a week on top of the after hours they make you stay for. They say they have unaligned clients (clients whose advisors have left) which is true but those clients already have multiple policies and do not want to hear from you as they have already heard from other new employees. They expect you to call all of your friends and family multiple times over. It doesn’t matter if they say no. They will tell you that the company average for a first year employee is 70k but only one new Professional Associate ( 0-4 yr old prudential advisors) out of 30 make more than 70. The rest make 40 K and under. The retention rate during my year was 10%. Due to this, the office is dead. You can hear a pen drop in there. In other words, the office environment is awful.

They will tell you that this is the same for most offices but I haven’t found this to be true. They only pay commission. And do not care how much you make after you get 5 clients because the managers don’t have to pay prudential a fee if you quit after that. If you are looking for a career opportunity where others genuinely care about you, invest in you, and foster growth this is not the place for you.

Jan 23, 2018

We are sorry to hear that your time at Prudential was not what you expected. Even though you are no longer employed with Prudential Advisors, we are interested in learning more about what led you to... More

"Everything Wrong with Financial Services"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wholesalers buy lunch
    Flexible schedule
    Decent people
    At the very least you can get your foot in the door here fairly easily

Cons

Prudential Advisors represent everything wrong with the financial services industry today. If you’re looking to get started in wealth management or financial planning this place should be your last resort. The job function of advisors at this firm is just to sell as many Pru life insurance policies as possible, which is why they require advisors to obtain the series 6 instead of the series 7. The entire business model creates conflicts of interest as you are incentivized to sell products rather than give sound advice. I spent my first year of employment there and did not see one single advisor write a financial plan, all of the revenue was generated by insurance/annuities and since the job is 100% commission the only way agents get paid is selling products. Their investment advisory platform was not competitive at all which made getting wealthy clients impossible. The result is that the most significant portion of recurring revenue comes from agents writing car insurance so essentially the company is giving the title of financial advisor to insurance salesmen.

The initial training isn’t too terrible, but once you become full-time (which happens after selling 5 policies) you’re essentially on your own. Pru likes to boast about their on going training however what they call training is bringing in a few wholesalers to tell the agents that their new products are the best in the marketplace. You never really learn the financial planning process.

Employee turnover is discouraging as well. The industry as a whole has an issue with this but Pru takes it above and beyond. I asked for them to pay for my series 65, 7, and first course of the CFP and management responded by saying that since those licenses/designations aren’t required they would only offer reimbursement. So you essentially are paying out of pocket for a job that is paying you nothing. The firm also has no education requirement for their advisors other than the initial licensing, which is partly why they cannot attract and retain talent.

Lastly the lead program is a travesty. One of the major selling points of the job was the fact that Pru would provide their advisors with leads. The leads that were given out were either 90 year old clients who don’t want to be bothered, or clients who want to cancel the policy but haven’t been able to get ahold of an agent for years (because the salesperson quit within a month of selling the policy). Building your book is completely on you and since most of the new reps who come in through the CDP program are new grads with a ton of student debt it’s virtually impossible to get started. As a result you will be forced to hound friends and family by offering them expensive products to try and start your business.

Advice to Management

Management will not heed any advice. All the managers at the Pru Office swear that nothing in financial services has changed, citing their own experience and success as examples, meanwhile they haven’t produced in years. So they’re advice to new reps is “smile and dial” and remember that “life pays the bills” meaning that in order to make a decent wage you better be selling high premium policies.

However in reality everything has changed. The DOL has really hindered how insurance firms conduct retirement business, financial technology is changing the way Advisors connect with clients and build solutions, and independent RIAs are starting to dominate the market share, capturing talented advisors and adopting the latest fintech to interact with clients. The days of cold calling and selling products are dying while planning and advice is coming to the forefront. The result is that large firms are going to have to decide what their goals are do they want to be in the business of managing wealth and financial planning, or do they want to build and sell their products? For Prudential it may make more sense to focus on selling their products through other channels.

Dec 26, 2017 – Director, Talent Brand & Marketing

We are sorry to hear that your time at Prudential was not what you expected. We believe our CDP program is a valuable tool in developing individuals who will help our customers solve the financial... More

"They lied about everything in the hiring process. I should have known better."

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Professional in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Prudential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, there were no pros. They present this as an all commission job and then when you write business you only get the amount over $4,800, they will hold the rest. I’m really sorry that they were able to make a fool out of me.

Cons

Everyone is a liar, their is no support, don’t consider asking anyone for help, you can save yourself the embarrassment.

Advice to Management

Stop lying.

Jan 23, 2018

We regret that your time at Prudential was not what you expected. We are genuinely interested in learning more about what led you to form this opinion of the program and management. Please contact... More

"Marketing Assistant"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in South Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in South Portland, ME

I worked at Prudential part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really can’t think of anything. The systems are here to use. Management is inconsiderate. Pay is very little for the hassle

Cons

Low pay.
    Received text messages from management at 5AM, 8PM, weekends. No consideration for your personal time.
    Management is disorganized.
    Systems are hard to use and corporate keeps changing them.
    Wasn’t told until after I was hired I needed to use my own laptop.
    Interview to hired Time is 60 days TOO LONG

Nov 9, 2017 – Director, Talent Brand & Marketing

We appreciate the input we receive from former associates. We hope that you found Prudential to be a safe and open environment to voice your concerns while you were here. Even though you are no... More

"Don't work here"

Pros

I wish I could think of one

Cons

Too many to list, sorry.

Advice to Management

Get real and use some professionalism. Professionalism is not a word I would use when speaking about my low-level managers. The mid-level managers think they are on power trips. I do have respect for the CEO.

Jan 22, 2018

We appreciate your candid opinion. If you’d like to discuss more, feel free to email us at staffing@prudential.com.

"Worst experience ever"

Pros

Overall the company has a good culture
    Great volunteering activities
    Good work life balance
    Good benefits
    Friendly senior leaders
    Great career development events

Cons

Team I was placed in was always looking for ways to make you look bad. Poor training and fake environment. Was not a good experience at all

Showing 1,747 of 1,924 reviews