Prudential Reviews | Glassdoor

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

1,537 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"Director of eMarketing, Digital Strategy & Customer Experience"

Current Employee - Director of EMarketing, Digital Strategy & Customer Experience in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prudential has many business opportunities within its US Businesses. Commitment to diversity, innovation, development and work life balance is apparent throughout all of them.

Cons

Much like all companies benefits are a huge investment from the employer. Prudential takes benefits seriously and has put together a competitive package for its employees. However, benefits are costly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Leadership is mostly transparent to all levels of employees. Strategy is clear and communication is solid. Leaders of people are encouraged to continually develop their leadership skills. These are the makings of a good company to work for.

Prudential Response

Oct 4, 2016 – Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We're thrilled you've been having such a great experience working for Prudential!

"Having worked at several large and small organizations, this is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Shelton, CT

Pros

Work/Life balance is very good. Strongly supports diversity. Very dynamic organization.

Cons

Sometimes there are too many things happening all at the same time.

Advice to Management

Try not to push all projects through in the absolute shortest amount of time.

"A career that ROCKS!"

Current Employee - Director, Training in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Director, Training in Portland, OR

Pros

For hardworking and motivated individuals, Prudential has much to offer. I joined right out of college and have had endless opportunities, unlike any of my peers at other organizations and in different industries. Opportunity exists to be of great service to clients while at the same time earn great financial rewards.

Cons

Very big. Sometimes can be difficult to work through maze of resources. However, the size also brings with it benefits such as name recognition, great benefits and unlimited career opportunities.

Advice to Management

Recruit from college campuses. I think there is an entire generation of students who would be interested in 'writing their own tickets', which they'll be able to at Prudential.

"I would still be working there if I wasn't outsourced."

Former Employee - Investment Operations Associate in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Investment Operations Associate in Newark, NJ

Pros

I was always update to current company information and management made it a point to include us in work life balance decisions. My managers and co-workers always worked together to solve issue, and generate many ideas of how to make things flow even smoother through our department on a day to day basis. The benefits were excellent, and the employee evaluations were and really provided an accurate picture of my work, and how I was percived by my managers and then was fairly compensated to boot.

Cons

Being outsourced in June of 2007. Had that not happen I would still be there working.

Advice to Management

To be aware of how much your department needs new technology and ideas to make our work produced much better.

"Prudential is one of the best places to work!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ

Pros

I have been with Prudential 25 years now in a variety of different roles and business groups. Prudential has an enormous amount of opportunities for the hard-working, qualified, and motivated employees. If you are not satisfied with Pru it is likely your own fault and you should look within yourself and your job performance. Unfortunately too many people today feel a sense of entitlement - grow up! You aren't entitled to anything you don't work hard for. And, if you are unfortunate enough to work for management who doesn't recognize your hard efforts - post out! Another wonderful Prudential benefit is the job posting board - you are eligible to post after you have been in an assignment for at least a year.

You are the only one who has control over your career. Prudential has personally offered me many growth and diversified opportunities. I climbed the "ladder" so to speak through hard work, dedication and motivation and not for any other reason. If I was ever in an area where I didn't respect management I took ownership of my career and posted out.

Prudential also offers one of the best work-life balance programs a company can offer to employees. There are so many flexible working options offered to the high performers, which is one of the top reasons I stay with the company - it is a priceless benefit to have.

Cons

Lack of consistency between management. I have observed management across lines of business are not consistent with how they manage people. Some areas fully support benefits such as work/life balance and others do not even consider it. Same with compensation. Prudential has a very generous compensation plan. We are all highly paid for what we do. The decisions on compensation, however, are very subjective and inconsistent strategies are used in the varying HR departments.

Being in management I think I also have a right to say that too many managers ignore employee issues and do not take the courage to confront the issues and help empoyees grow. For a company that his cutting back so significantly on bonuses and comp they should really be getting rid of all the dead weight. Get a "set" and show us your true leadership.

Advice to Management

See above.

"If you are looking for a career, consider Pru, great benefits, big on training and a work-life blce is possible"

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Actuarial in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Actuarial in Newark, NJ

Pros

Prudential is great at investing on your future development. Under this economic conditions it is very hard to still find companies that offer good benefits, professional growth and work -life balance. It is true that each business has a different culture and it depends where are you at. In my experience, the culture has a lot to do with how happy you are at work. In my current division they foster professional growth, it's all in your hands and what you want to make out of it is all in yr hands. Senior Management shares what is going on in the market and within the company. Tuition reimbursement is part of the benefits too. Pru has set in place recognition programs that foster a great work environment and promote recognition within peers. The compensation may not be as high at the beginning, bu as you gain experience and get more credentials, more doors will open for you and you'll get more money. Also, the work /balance that they offer is a big plus. I feel that Pru really cares about employees and helps communities all over. Newark will be something very different if Pru wouldn't be there. All in all, I love working for a company that does so much good to the community.

Cons

The pay can be lower at entry-level. Some of the Managers/Directors lack managing experience, so in general they are not the best managing. As I said before it depends of the location and the culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what is right, delegate managing people to Managers/Directors that can handle it. Not everyone is cut to do that job.

8. "Prudential is good to its agents"

Pros

The best insurance company in the industry to represent. Good compensation plan as compared to all of the the other top companies in the industry. No bad press to deal with.

Cons

Compliance is another word for sales prevention department

Advice to Management

Could use better open access

9. "World-class firm with smart people and access to lots of $$$$$..."

Pros

Tremendous volume of transactions every year...in the $ billions. Connected to the best local developers/operators. Staffed with world-class people. Prestigious brand name in the industry.

Cons

opportunities for promotion are limited to Parsippany, NJ.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. "Prudential not a bad place to start."

Current Employee - Financial Service Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Service Associate in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Prudential and its managers give you many different resources to succeed. If you are willing to follow there advice and put in the hours you will enjoy working here. The work environment is very professional. Prudential offers some of the best products in the market so you are selling products you believe in.

Cons

You have to be willing to chase people around. The first couple of years are very hard and you are going to feel under payed. You have to be able to deal with rejection on a daily bases. To find sales you have to be willing to drive all over NC and SC.

Advice to Management

Working environment in Charlotte NC is one of the best in the company.

11. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales A in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales A in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great training, support and guidance from management. It's wonderful to work for yourself and make a lot of money. I'm always meeting new people and I love helping them find their dream home. You are always learning.

Cons

Real Estate is a difficult profession to learn. The schooling is easy, but once you get your license, you need to spend a lot of time with a mentor to see how it's really done. There is no salary or benefits. You cannot count on a paycheck. You have to work hard to make a lot of money. You have to work a lot on the weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!!

Showing 1,537 of 1,677 reviews