Prudential Reviews | Glassdoor

1,512 Employee Reviews

1. "Prudential Financial"

Current Employee - Life Underwriter in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Life Underwriter in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Prudential has a very nice bonus structure compared to other companies in the industry. Bonuses for underwriters are capped at 25% of base salary.

Cons

Prudential is a very conservative company and does not like employees to challenge the status quo. They also look to promote from within and people hired outside of the company have a harder time advancing.

Advice to Management

I suggest being less rigid in the advancement guidelines. Allow young, talented people the opportunity to advance without setting strict timelines.

Mar 1, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We're proud to provide generous compensation, among other great benefits. We offer many opportunities for career development and advancement - for both new ... More

2. "Would recommend but things are changing."

Former Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and pay. Flexible schedule and alternative work arrangements. Collaborative environment. I have heard contract workers are rarely hired full time.

Cons

Focus on cutting costs by out-sourcing or in-sourcing. Management does not effectively share vision. Work life balance issues can be an issue as extended hours and weekends are often worked.

Feb 21, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughtful feedback. We're glad to hear you had a positive experience working for us, although we're concerned to hear that you faced challenges in ... More

"FPA Program to FP"

Current Employee - Financial Professional in South Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Financial Professional in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong brand name
    Expanding platforms to be competitive (thanks to DOL)
    Good benefits - ROTH 401k, health & dental, pension, Stock discount and MF discounts...

Cons

Depends on what agency you work at! Experiences vary in a big way
    Pay is 100% commission & bonus which is tough and breeds really habits and people.
    The training program is not as comprehensive as it is made out to be and the office politics are terrible.
    Management corners "new org" FPAs and FPs into selling core products (life nad annuities) so that they make their bonuses while actively discouraging personal development through licensing and designation work...this may change with DOL?

Advice to Management

Pay a small base salary and be honest about actual pay in the first two years. YOU WILL NOT MAKE $75-85k unless you live in an area of the country where avg salaries are higher and populations are dense.

Mar 7, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for your comments. We hope that you find Prudential to be a safe and open environment to voice your concerns to your supervisor or human resources contact. We encourage all of our ... More

"What happened?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A few years ago, I could have written pages on the positives of Pru Annuities. Unfortunately, it is an entirely different company today, and I'm unsure of how they could turn around Nonexistent morale, total absence of leadership, outdated systems/ideas/products to become a shadow of the company they used to be.

Cons

No leadership, and no strategy, despite all the recent VP hires with ambiguous titles that promise to define our strategy, and who drown us in PowerPoint presentations about strategy, but it's all smoke and mirrors. This company cannot move forward with the most straight forward tactical initiative, as no leader is willing to take a risk without ensuring someone else can be blamed in case it fails. Huge divide between the associates who actually understand the business and senior leaders whose sole purpose seems to be to keep their jobs without producing any discernible results. Anything that is produced is usually shrouded in error, with some sort of embarrassing communication admitting our JV-level mistake to the marketplace, further crushing the morale. The company has been riddled with layoffs and job eliminations, all of which are handled with unprofessional and amateur communication, which tells me HR us too busy helping with all the downsizing than with helping leadership communicate a layoff properly. Associates are always waiting for the other shoe to drop, in an environment riddled with fear and anxiety. This used to be a company proud of its talent and business acumen. Now we hire only VPs with Ivy League degrees for show (or maybe out of desperation?) who need to be constantly reminded how our business actually works. Associates spend more time correcting bad games of telephone that occurred in one of the umpteen committee meetings (with a 90 percent attendee overlap for a real diversity of opinion!) than doing work. We make the US government look efficient.

Advice to Management

Stop getting in your own way. Trust your employees. Let them do their jobs and we will make you look good, so you don't have to spend so many meetings ensuring someone else looks bad when nothing gets accomplished. Your panic is showing.

Mar 1, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. We'd like to address your concerns and hopefully turn things around, and encourage you to email us at staffing@prudential.com ... More

6. "Great company but needs some restructuring"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Prudential full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! Great people, great atmosphere and environment. Also love the location.

Cons

The call center structure needs to be restructured. They put too much responsibility on the CSA's to do what a licensed insurance agent should be doing.

Advice to Management

Spread out the responsibilities in between teams more or create more teams/roles.

Feb 14, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you sharing your feedback - it's very helpful, and we'd be interested in hearing more detail around your recommendations. We encourage you to email us at staffing@prudential.com. ... More

7. "Real estate agent"

Former Employee - Realtor in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Realtor in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is very supportive. Excellent training

Cons

Office set up is very basic

8. "Good opportunities, bad work-life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Dresher, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Actuarial Associate in Dresher, PA

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great coworkers
    -Flexible work from home schedule
    -Decent compensation
    -Generous study support for exams, even if they are not part of the actuarial development program
    -Pay increases linked to exam success
    -Generous merit-based bonuses
    -Nice offices
    -Plenty of opportunities for professional development
    -Plenty of opportunities for internal transfers
    -Great 401k, employee savings plan, and stock purchase plan

Cons

-Work/life balance, long hours are necessary for some projects
    -Limited PTO for new employees
    -High turnover (I've had two bosses leave in a year)
    -Newark offices, while nice, are in borderline terrifying locations
    -Dresher PA offices are outside Philadelphia and are not connected to the public transit syste

Advice to Management

-More transparency with regard to the restructuring plans.
    -Maintain consistent project plans and priorities.
    -Consider having more remote opportunities. The office locations are always a huge issue when talking to people about possibly applying to Prudential.

Feb 14, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughtful feedback - both positive and negative. It's very helpful for us. We're thrilled to see you call attention to many of our benefits, and our focus on ... More

"You can learn a lot if you're willing to work"

Current Employee - Director of Information Technology in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Director of Information Technology in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Prudential full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, work is interesting, work life balance, location (Newark) is improving thru efforts of the company in particular

Cons

Too much bureaucracy at times. Aside from that, it is a great place to work if this kind of work interests you

"Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free employee parking and shuttle service between Newark offices.

Cons

Draconian human resources practices when hiring and terminating employees from top global banks and asset managers. Highly political and insular culture amongst "Pru-lifers" still surviving in positions of authority.

Advice to Management

Stop recruiting talent from world class financial firms. They will become miserable soon after they learn how rigid and insecure many executives in the VP and SVP ranks really are.

Mar 21, 2017 – Social Media Community Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your candid feedback, and we're sorry to hear you didn't have a better experience working for us. We'd be interested in learning more, and suggest you email ... More

11. "Ancient technology, very segregated businesses, no consistency"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Newark, NJ

I worked at Prudential full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Short commute. People know the company name. I can't think of anything else.

Cons

Lotus notes still used! No investment in current technology: manual Excel spreadsheets are used in underwriting, sales, etc., which is prone to manual errors. There is no universal database or process...so you have Sales in 1 group doing work completely different from Sales in a different group. There are no consistent processes or sharing of information- each business group acts as its own independent company. The company claims they want to be modern and encourage the status quo...but once you do that you are told you are not a team player.

Benefits are very expensive and there are no co-pay plans...it's all deductible (which are high).

Advice to Management

Invest in modern technology and software. Don't encourage people to bring up new ideas and challenge old ones since you don't mean it. Break down the silos.

Showing 1,512 of 1,647 reviews