Prudential plc Reviews | Glassdoor

Tidjane Thiam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Prudential"

I have been working at Prudential plc full-time

Pros

Good work versus life balance

Cons

Below average pay for the industry

2. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Analyst in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Prudential plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A very friendly and awesome place to work in. Not much to complain. A very good place to grow and nurture into a fine being

Cons

Nothing much I can complain about except the low pay but I guess we are here to learn not to earn.

Advice to Management

Good job management, I like the laser tags, yogalates, piloxing events and all the marketing strategies!

3. "overall good"

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Pros

the company has competitive products at that time. training is enough. good environment

Cons

the team may be too aggresive. encourage sells but lack ethics.

4. "Africa Project Manager"

I have been working at Prudential plc full-time

Pros

Fast growing business in Africa

Cons

Restricted roles at senior level

5. "stress environment but pushes to be driven"

Pros

good stepping stone to try sales

Cons

none, typically sales job co.

6. "UK Business"

Pros

The benefits package for Prudential UK is reasonable.

Cons

The Reading office is not fit for purpose. A desk policy known as neighbourhoods has been introduced, which is a poor attempt at hot desks. It means each department is allocated an area but there are not enough desks in the area for all employees in the department. Permission must be sought from other neighbourhoods to use empty desks there, this results in unfriendly comments and looks between employees.

The IT systems are so far behind the times and backward, it will be tough for Prudential UK to catch-up with the digital era.

Processes have never been documented. This makes it very difficult for new people as staff who have worked there for an exceptionally long period of time have all the knowledge in their heads and are very bad at sharing it.

There are many processes that add no value.

Advice to Management

When C-Level undermine each other it creates a toxic work culture.

7. "Employee in UK business - possibly a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Grade III in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Grade III in London, England (UK)

Pros

Competitive benefits package.
    Good work/life balance
    Mostly nice colleagues

Cons

Lots of uncertainty in terms of future strategy.
    Few opportunities of advancement
    Staff restructuring is prevalent and high turnover of staff in last year

Advice to Management

More investment in its people and provide career progression plans.
    Better communication of company plans and strategy.

8. "Appalling disregard for employee welfare and entitlements in the Singapore office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Prudential plc full-time

Pros

Structured environment. Predictable as employees are able to gauge that they would be told to have shorter lunch breaks for the day.

Cons

The team of employees at the ground floor customer service centre are more often than not, subjected to half an hour lunch breaks rather than the full hour in a desperate attempt to shorten the waiting time for their customers. This unfortunately occurs on a near daily basis and based on the lengthy duration which this has been ongoing, it does appear that this haphazard practice might have been sanctioned by the management in one way or other.

Advice to Management

Formulate sustainable strategies for on-site customer management. The current practice of denying employees their lunch hour entitlement is both a slipshod and potentially precarious one.

9. "Career Opportunities"

Former Employee - General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Prudential plc full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been able to progress my career with Prudential, getting opportunities to change jobs within the organisation. They look after their staff.

Cons

Sometimes the risk averse culture means that there are too many hurdles to jump over to get things done. This can be a bit frustrating.

Advice to Management

Cut down the layers of bureaucracy so that things can be done faster. Keep valuing the people who work there and offering opportunities to move throughout the business.

10. "D2C Contact Centre"

Current Employee - Retirement Consultant in Stirling, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Retirement Consultant in Stirling, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Prudential plc full-time

Pros

Attractive salary, bonus and benefits. Free parking and free buses from lots of areas, making it easier to get to work. Constant change due to the industry which makes no two days the same, this keeps you on your toes and ensures your days are not mundane. Plenty of opportunity for progression and development. I love working for the contact centre, I love the people and the team I am in. The team managers (who basically do 3 jobs in one) are very approachable, knowledgable and really look out for their staff. Now that the department has changed the layout, it's a real feeling of one team. If you want to work somewhere where you are truly helping the customer in a pivotal point in their lives, D2C contact centre is the place to work. It is a challenging job, hence the pay package offered but I thrive off challenges.

Cons

Parking (although free) is a nightmare although I believe this is being sorted shortly. The contact centre has had some new external senior leadership recently but due to them not knowing the business and the industry, the ideas they have are not realistic and therefore not being implemented. It is really busy and therefore resource doesn't always allow for time off when needed yet the senior leadership team work from home most Fridays and really whenever they want. This doesn't bode well as a consultant, when we are working so hard, the team managers are trying to be coaches, technical leaders and a team managers but the senior staff are at home, there is no support for the managers, therefore less support for consultants as a result. We are targeted on sales but we are not a sales department, this baffles me. We have no KPI's so I have no idea what I am working towards. The systems are so old fashioned I don't see how they will ever be in the digital world. The job role leads you to believe it's a standard contact centre but it's really not. Calls average about 30mins each and some can be over an hour. It's a lot more technical and in depth than any contact centre I have worked in and heavily scrutinised by risk. You can fail a perfect hour long call for not saying one particular statement (OMO) for the 7th time in one call-even when the customer is getting annoyed at being told it over and over. The customer journey's and frameworks need to be SERIOUSLY simplified.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs a serious overhaul, having external leadership with no idea of how the business is run doesn't work in this instance. They have no interest in the actual customer journeys and I have yet to see any of them sit with a consultant or listen to actual calls.

If it wasn't for the team managers and my team, I would of left a long time ago. They get landed with everything but still come in everyday and work every hour under the sun and do it with a smile. my manager is by far the best manager I have ever had but I don't know why she hasn't walked with all the pressure put on the team managers at present.

The senior leadership team should adopt the same work ethic as the managers and start to be more visible, offer more support and look after the managers better, so they can actually do what they are meant too and spend more time with their teams.