Public Citizen Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 5, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Intern: Democracy is for People Campaign"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Public Citizen (Less than a year)

Pros

Public Citizen is a great organization to work for. They do great work and they treat their employees well. The internship was unpaid, but we were given a lot of responsibility and opportunity for growth. I felt like I was really contributing to the campaign and the senior staff always went out of their way to let us know we were appreciated.

Cons

Working an unpaid internship with little opportunity of being hired is financially difficult but they were very flexible with hours, so I was able to comfortably work another (paying) job while interning.

Advice to Management

If the budget allows for some sort of stipend for interns, or perhaps a fellowship program with a low salary, that would be great.

2. "Not the best place to work"

Pros

They do good work, and are fighting for important issues. Principled organization.

Cons

People didn't seem to be happy. Typical issues of people being overworked and underpaid.

3. "Intern"

Pros

Interning with individuals very passionate in the work they do. That was very inspiring, and brought the momentum to work passionately.

Cons

Unpaid internship, having multiple supervisors had me constantly on my toes. Also, the environment appeared to be very limited access to the internships.

Advice to Management

Paid internship at least minimum & create an open space for student internship

5. "A small company working on political election."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Public Citizen (Less than a year)

Pros

It is located in downtown DC area and has very convenient transportation.

Cons

Small company with limited job responsibilities.

"Great work, terrible management"

I have been working at Public Citizen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are knowledgeable, passionate, committed, and friendly (once you make the effort to get to know them), and the issue are phenomenal. Public Citizen works on some of the most important progressive causes and has real strategic vision for pushing them forward. Also, the benefits package is phenomenal. Provides the very best healthcare, hands down.

Cons

Management disrespects non-managerial staff; culture of abuse and alternating micromanagement & neglect (depending on the department). Employees are disgruntled or generally dissatisfied. Public Citizen needs to invest in developing a healthy, productive, empowering workplace culture. This will drive loyalty, retention, and improve the organization's efficiency and effectiveness. Salaries are low and raises are only possible through promotions, which are difficult to come by. Even then, salary increases are low. Employees tend to leave in 1 - 2 years, or stay forever.

Advice to Management

Invest in employee retention. High turnover causes inefficiencies and hurts Public Citizen's ability to fight its political battles most effectively. Specifically: Ensure workplace is free of bullying; implement "mutual respect" enforcement mechanisms; speed rate of employee promotion; provide more competitive salaries.

7. "Wonderful Place of Work"

Pros

This is a wonderful place to work. Public Citizen is full of good people doing great work, and is assuredly the best workplace I have yet to encounter. I may have been lucky in that the specific department I worked in was incredibly welcoming, but I got that sense from the entire organization.

Cons

The experience may different for those working in other departments.

8. "good learning experience"

I have been working at Public Citizen full-time

Pros

Nice people. Exciting wins. Access to lots of interesting and important people. You’ll get to do a wider variety of things than you would most places. Great benefits.

Cons

Resources and networking opportunities are limited. Technical infrastructure is lacking. Experiences can vary by department and division. Most people don't stick around.

Advice to Management

Keep more slack in the organization so we can better respond to emergencies and shift priorities. Hire more support staff.

9. "Test posting"

I have been working at Public Citizen full-time

Pros

Opportunity to do valuable, politically significant work in a friendly and indeed collegial but also intense environment; chances for public recognition

Cons

Pay is low commensurate with the fact that this is a public interest group

"Good ideas, horrible execution"

I have been working at Public Citizen full-time

Pros

Some of the people here are among the smartest, most passionate people I've ever met. Public Citizen is full of die-hard progressives, and they're way out front on so many of the most important issues facing the country today.

Cons

The culture is not great. Morale is always very low. No one is social. In general it's just not a very a fun place to work. And there's little to no resources or capacity available, so any big ideas you have will stay just that: ideas.

Advice to Management

The staff is incredibly overworked, and rather than adding more support staff or organizers to campaigns, all this organization ever does is expand to new issue areas. That puts even more stress on the dwindling support staff, and severely limits the resources available for each campaign. Stop expanding, and start shoring up the things that are falling through the cracks.

"Really just an OK place"

Pros

Casual atmosphere, co-workers are generally friendly and many of them are very intelligent/wonderful people.

Cons

No job growth, management often doesn't listen to the detriment of project development.