Public Company Accounting Oversight Board Reviews | Glassdoor

Public Company Accounting Oversight Board Reviews

Updated May 4, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great Work / Life Balance and good mission (in 21 reviews)

• They also have work from home policy (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much bureaucracy and red tape (in 3 reviews)

• Communication and Processes within the organization are archaic, including IT, and workflow (in 2 reviews)

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Company Accounting Oversight Board full-time

Pros

Great work life balance. Good benefits package. Nice work environment. Smart people to work with.

Cons

A lot of travel; can be too much at times. Some busy periods. There is some bureaucracy within the organization

2. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Washington, DC

Pros

Great company, and this experience looks very good on the resume. Awesome professionals, and you get to learn a lot from them

Cons

There are not many downsides, compensation is good, flexible hours, and friendly environment at work. Nothing to complain about.

3. "Important mission and work"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Washington, DC

Pros

Mission based organization, Management is proactive in making changes and PCAOB a great place to work, strong benefits, work life balance and competitive salary. Surrounded by some of the brightest in the industry.

Cons

none yet, can be quiet at times

"Great technically; some political in-fighting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Public Company Accounting Oversight Board full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great place to learn/improve technical skills
    good salary
    good work/life balance

Cons

political in-fighting at Board level has stymied initiatives

Advice to Management

hired a mediator/counselor to improve Board dynamics

"3 years experience at the organization."

Current Employee - Inspections Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Inspections Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Public Company Accounting Oversight Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance and work from home days.

Cons

Quite a bit of travel. Travel is typically from Mar./Apr through Nov.

Advice to Management

Career advancement and career opportunities

"Great Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Office of Research and Analysis in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Office of Research and Analysis in Washington, DC

I worked at Public Company Accounting Oversight Board full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plentiful opportunities to learn about the business world. Engaging projects and challenging assignments helped me hone my technical skills and learn about the common practices and regulations within the accounting profession. Management included well qualified and highly intelligent individuals who were resourceful and helped others at a moments notice.

The mission of firm is noble and important. The managers do a great job of upholding the mission and keeping interns involved.

My internship helped me gain various interviews for full-time associate positions with Big Four firms when I previously had difficulties obtaining interviews for Big Four internships.

Cons

Compensation is more than adequate, but less in comparison to public accounting firms. Limited advancement for interns to become associates.

"Risk Analysis Intern"

Former Employee - Risk Analysis Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Risk Analysis Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (Less than a year)

Pros

over the course of 3 months I had a very enjoyable time at the PCAOB. I enjoyed working with and learning more about the audit process with the different teams and managers. As interns you will be able to have a hands on experience as to what goes on in the PCAOB, and this experience really broaden my perspective of public accounting. Everybody at the PCAOB is very open and easy to talk to-I was very comfortable asking questions and or advice about my career and my projects. You can really tell everybody here is looking out for you as well. Overall I had an amazing experience at the PCAOB, and am honored to have had the opportunity to intern here. I highly recommend it to anybody who is pursuing a future in public accounting.

Cons

Although I enjoyed my time, the PCAOB does not entry level positions right out of college. However, this is very reasonable because they want to ensure that you have had experience in working with a public accounting firm.

"Like a government with private sector pay"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Public Company Accounting Oversight Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy, no pressure, no real deadlines. Board members or senior management don't care about how the organization is operating. Over paid with easy bankers hours work.

Cons

No motivation, incompetent IT department - but no one cares since it can't be any worse how it is. SEC is totally ineffective in overseeing PCAOB. It should be better off as part of Government, and have GAO audit them. There is no independent audit - SEC OCA and PCAOB senior management know each other.

Advice to Management

Stop believing what IT is telling you. Have some really know IT audit your IT projects and their sendings. Should pay attention to internal operations more. Adjust salary by location. Cost of living is not same between DC or NY vs Tx or Colorado!!! Especially when those people work from their home most of the time!

"Important and Great Mission"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Public Company Accounting Oversight Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, well respected peers that I am proud to be affiliated with. Work life balance is very reasonable. The mission and the work is well regarded and important.

Cons

Internal politics can make things very difficult here. For an organization of a 1,000 it is very bureaucratic. Poorly run and not efficient from an operational perspective.

Advice to Management

Business process re-engineering

"Lots of changes, but overall well served"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sterling, VA

Pros

6 weeks PTO
    Casual environment in Ashburn office.
    Nice people.
    Busy with work.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy due to nature of business
    Management needs to delegate better.