Public Outreach Fundraising Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Great work environment and company culture, truly kind people and the opportunity to make a difference (in 10 reviews)

• Working at Public Outreach has been a great experience for me (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance-based job (however, I believe commission is unethical for charity fundraising) (in 7 reviews)

• Because Public Outreach focuses on raising funds for charities, its important that we keep our response high (in 7 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to put care into action and have fun doing it!

Cons

It can be tiring work, and demanding, especially if you're not making numbers.

"Awesome people, hard work"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Canvasser in Ontario, CA

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, good pay, excellent skill building for public speaking and confidence, great skill-building workshops

Cons

Pressure to meet quotas, emotionally exhausting getting rejected all the time

"HR Manager"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant/Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant/Human Resources Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fun, Fast Paced, Lots to learn.

Cons

Hard work, Lots to do

4. "Demanding, meaningful work."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Public Outreach is raising funds for major, life-changing charities, and every position has a direct impact on the campaign. The culture is hip, the people are real, and the sense of teamwork is rewarding.

Cons

Positions are not paid what they are worth. The familial, camaraderie feeling goes right out the window when major decisions are being made.

Advice to Management

Allow your people in. Allow them to step up and shine, or even to fail.

"Welcome to Hell"

Former Employee - Fundraising Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fundraising Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of one thing.

Cons

It's very cult like. These people work and live together. It's all about the precious sign ups. Many of my coworkers got fired for fraud. They make you work in blizzards and extreme heat. It's a bunch of young people who run it and they will work you to death.

Advice to Management

Don't tell people working outside in extreme weather conditions is a career

6. "Great Organizations"

Former Employee - Fundraising Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraising Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising (More than 3 years)

Pros

Public Outreach works with some of the most respected organizations around the world.
    Good path to move up.

Cons

To much changing of corporate issues; managers, policies, etc.

7. "Extremely Unprofessional Environment"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office culture was very organic--lots of fun sometimes, but lines are often blurred between manager and friend. Overall I enjoyed my coworkers.

Cons

The compensation is very poor. In my interview we discussed having a typical 9-5 schedule, which actually turned out to be 10:30-7 (or 8...or 9...). Policies are constantly changing and the fundraisers are both unethical and unprofessional, which makes the job very difficult for those of us who have to represent our fundraisers when on the phone with donors.

Advice to Management

More transparency! Spend less money on travel for fundraisers and senior leadership to fly all over the country and more money compensating your employees that are in the office until 9:00pm.

"DON'T BOTHER"

Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Professional Fundraiser in Oakland, CA

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

no Pros for this job unless your a snotty teenager looking to crap on everyone else.

Cons

Public outreach is a sales job scam.
    As a Former employee of Oakland Ca Public outreach office I can certainly tell you when they say this is not a commission based job so that you won't have pressure in trying to meet quota to get paid ITS A LIE. Just because they say its hourly doesn't mean anything. you still have to meet a quota or you just might as well not even come back to work.
    This is especially bull for this type of job because it depends all on people signing up just for you to keep your job.
    And since people are becoming so anti social now a days, I'm going to get a lawn chair and some popcorn and watch this company falls to pieces while i laugh my socks off.

Advice to Management

if you want to pressure your employees with quotas then make this a sales commission job like it's suppose to be.
    Other wise your going to continue to have a high turn over rate and eventually your going to run out of business from firing so many potentially good quality employees.
    GOOD LUCK

9. "Public Outreach"

Former Employee - Fundraising Representative in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Fundraising Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great to meet new people, development of intercommunication skills

Cons

Unpredictable days, quick turn around

Advice to Management

"Numbers-driven: not for everyone."

Former Employee - Fundraising Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fundraising Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Working on behalf of companies with great causes of humanitarian benefit! :D
    *Above-average competitive pay
    *Rapid advancement and lots of opportunities to grow within the company
    *Very flexible schedule
    *Great benefits

Cons

*All day outside - rain, sun, heavy snow, blistering cold, scorching heat - It doesn't matter what weather it is, you have to be there.

*It feels more like sales than fundraising, despite Management assuring otherwise. The same manipulative techniques used in sales are disguised in different names and used to get people's information to get them involved in something they don't really want to be a part of.

*Another point on the "sales" vibe - it's all about *immediate* numbers. Management talks occasionally about "quality", but they don't care about how many people you turn into long-term, "quality" donors if those people elect to become involved via phone call instead on the streets. But the truth is, nine times out of ten, the more mature, genuinely interested and financially responsible potential donors will do this, because they are willing to make a long-term investment, want to make sure that the organization whom they invest with truly guarantees what they promise, and they know better than to give out sensitive financial information on the sidewalk - regardless of how many cops are on the corner.

*Double standard for newbies and "staff". The pressure is put on newbies to make a quota in a specific amount of time (and they'll claim it's not a quote but a "recommended amount") while (not all, but a lot of) the "staff" stands around and gossips, zones out, secures less donors and gets paid a lot more. It doesn't matter that you're punctual and diligent, worked ten times harder, spoke to more people for the day, scheduled more phone follow-ups with quality people, or actually CARE about the cause you're working for. If at the end of the stipulated time, you don't make that quota, you're out. But at the same time, you're not allowed to take specific types of donations, "because you're new and only staff can do that" - never mind the fact that you already know how to do it. Numbers, numbers, numbers...

Advice to Management

*Consider the idea of a portable card reader for your street fundraisers. You may gripe about the initial cost of it, but from a business perspective I see much more benefits than demerits from investing in a card reader. Less time is spent filling out detailed personal and financial information on a paper form, the card and most of the donor information goes through immediately, there is a lower chance of wrong information due to human error, and donors themselves feel more comfortable knowing that you didn't just spend ten minutes looking at all their sensitive information, after which you will be carrying it around with you in a binder than can easily get wet, damaged, lost or stolen. Then, since a transaction will take about 1/3 the time it currently takes with paper forms, there is a lot more time for you fundraisers to talk to other people - and thereby secure even more donors than before.

*Stop focusing solely on numbers and neglecting the entire body of potential a new hire has. I understand this is fundraising, but at the same time not EVERYTHING is about numbers - especially for newbies who have no prior experience doing this kind of thing, but have the passion and determination to become great, if given a little bit of time to break in their new position, learn the ropes and given the opportunity to put all of their talent to use.

*Understand that people are different - impulsive people, people who aren't busy and preoccupied with their own lives and problems when you meet them, quick thinkers/decision makers, those without privacy or security concerns and audio learners are the most likely ones to give immediate information. What about the rest of people? The ones who DO care, DO want to make a difference and DO want to get involves - but are visual learners, or people who need to sit down with the information and go through everything in excruciating detail; or have had security/privacy issues with their personal and financial information so are inclined to do their research before making a bad move again; or those who need to not be in a hurry and fix their personal issues for the day before they can help others. Those are the people you neglect, or pay less attention to, because they're not of any immediate benefit to you. But those people are precisely gems that our organizations need to achieve the goals they set, and those are the people who will stay and help them for as long as they possibly can.

*Understand this is the kind of position where those numbers you care so much about do not solely depend on how well a person works, especially when there are so many guidelines about who can be a donor and how much can be accepted from them. It also depends a LOT on weather, location, the demographics of the area and the issues affecting the population at the time - both on that specific day and in general. It's absurd and unrealistic to expect every location and every day to be as good as the last - and lay the blame on workers when a required amount is not achieved - when it's so greatly affected by (very obvious) things that are beyond our control.

*You pride yourselves on being a meritocracy, but too often people are kept because of their "experience" or length of time with the company, despite their blatant lack of caring for the cause and failing to reach goals. Stop being hypocritical, and become the meritocracy you claim to be. Give credit where credit is due, promote where potential is blossoming, and get rid of those who are doing nothing yet making money from you, because they're your friend and you don't want to let them go.

Public Outreach Fundraising Response

Aug 6, 2014 – National Recruitment Manager POUSA

Thank you for your feedback on your experience with our company. You mention numbers quite a bit in your response, and the reality is since we are paid out of a charities fundraising budget we have ... More