Public Outreach Fundraising Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Public Outreach offers an incredibly supportive environment, assuming you're a dedicated, professional employee (in 12 reviews)

• Very positive work place; everyone bring their best self to work each and everyday, this creates a refreshing work environment for everyone involved (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a performance based job (in 13 reviews)

• It is also a performance based job and that brings some stress as well (in 10 reviews)

"Incredible leadership and incredible company"

Current Employee - Canvasser in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising part-time

Pros

Incredible leadership, hourly pay for direct marketing, commission opportunities, tons of opportunities to move up. highest pay for direct marketing i have found, very queer and trans friendly in my market.

Cons

more training activities for canvassers to warm up for the day needed, no 40 hour a week opportunities in my city.

"PO Fundraising"

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising part-time

Pros

excellent trainings, much more fair and consistent base salary structure than most canvassing jobs, flexible schedule, good contracts, good hiring and onboarding process, fair promotions, lots of offices in several countries, plenty of freedom to adopt a canvassing style that works for you and maximizes your performance

Cons

benefits are slow to kick in compared to some other canvassing firms, the usual amount of high turnover and disorganization for this industry, bonus incentives change frequently, difficulty finding and retaining drivers, outdated technology

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my work at PO enormously! My coworkers were great, the work was rewarding, and I just plain love canvassing. Advocating for more incentives for drivers (a small bonus in addition to the mileage reimbursement?) and better technology would be helpful. I also hope PO is able to expand into more markets!

3. "Public Outreach - Canvassing"

Pros

Get to work outdoors, people are friendly.

Cons

You get LOTS of rejection from strangers, you must stand on the street all day whether its hot or cold, most people walking by want nothing to do with you, the pitch can be difficult to convince people to agree to, I got hit on by strangers many many times, I also got yelled at or made fun of by strangers many times, it can be emotionally distressing after a while.

4. "A rewarding way to earn a living"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This job has given me a platform to advocate for and make an impact on the issues I care the most about. I love the people I work with and the people I work for. Solid values are the guiding light of the organization and I am staying here and making this a career.

Cons

It really takes a certain kind of person to be successful here. The downside is we often can't be sure who is/is not that kind of person until they get out in the field. This can cause occasional disappointment and frustration from new recruits. It is also a performance based job and that brings some stress as well. But most of our staff have been here happily for years. It's tough but very doable.

Advice to Management

I think the pay structure is great for the most part and its awesome having good health insurance. But I believe we should start people at $15 rather than $14 in cities like NYC and Boston. Cost of living is unreasonably high and $14 is barely cutting it.

5. "Amazing opportunity!"

Current Employee - FACE to FACE FUNDRAISER in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - FACE to FACE FUNDRAISER in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Public Outreach in Boston has been one of the best opportunities I've ever had. Everyone in the office and the company is amazing; Public Outreach really cares about their employees and offers tons of opportunities to grow and develop your skills. Plus, you get to go home everyday knowing you made a tangible difference in the world. It's a job that's not for everyone but if you commit it's incredibly rewarding. Not to mention Public Outreach recognizes fundraising as a skills-based job and takes time to develop the skills of every individual fundraiser, and we get paid a reasonable wage and offered benefits as well. Stellar people, amazing culture, just a great opportunity.

Cons

This job is definitely not for everyone and if you're the kind of person who likes to know exactly what's coming every single day, this might be a tougher work experience for you. Things change often and you have to be able to roll with the punches.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop the people you have and build on the systems in place to be the most effective fundraisers we can be.

6. "PO is legit af"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're more than just coworkers to one another. There is a huge feeling of togetherness. I actually feel like i'm making a difference in the world and it has helped me grow as a person

Cons

It can be a little disorganized at times and it sometimes seems like people are on different pages

Advice to Management

Be a little more organized and all on the same page so we can all avoid confusion

7. "Best job ever!"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

Pros

At PO you get to work with amazing individuals with all sorts of backgrounds while raising funds for some of the most well known and respected non-profits. This job has let me be the person I have always wanted to be and feel like I get to go to work instead of feeling like I have to.

Cons

There is a ton of rejection involved and the job is definitely not for everyone. It is a constant test of your patience and mental fortitude.

Advice to Management

Open more offices.

8. "amazing job"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA

Pros

I love being able to go out and so something amazing for the world plus the staff is very supportive which made the job feel like home

Cons

Sometimes we had to work in places that I usually never visited which meant I had to adapt to many different environments

Advice to Management

Stay humble

9. "Challenging and rewarding"

Current Employee - Canvasser in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Public Outreach has the most supportive and friendly office environment I have ever experienced. Management genuinely cares about you as an individual and will try their hardest to help you hit your goals. Raising money for things that help the world is far more rewarding than your typical sales job. We aren't paid on commission which enables you to feel secure in a steady paycheck.

Cons

This job is not for everyone. You have to be someone who is comfortable not only engaging with strangers on the street, but being rejected, ignored and expected to work in less than ideal weather conditions. You also are expected to hit certain numbers and that can be stressful- this is a performance based job.

10. "This company has changed for the worse"

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Save the world through meaningful conversation one domino (conversation) at a time. Enjoy the people you work with. This job will help you improve skills to become more outgoing, confident and persuasive. They also send fundraisers who are doing well and leaders on trips fully paid by the company which is a great experience.

Cons

very "clique'y". You have to either be best friends with the manager or his girlfriend in order to get proper support. Skills trainings are poor quality, unless they have changed- it is the same thing everyday: "giving your pitch". There seems to be an issue with giving constructive feedback to management. If you do, you could very well be reprimanded or taken out of "the clique". Harassment on the job is not addressed as it should be. You could be groped, pushed into and have things thrown at you. The pay does not equal what you go through on the street/with the public. If a company wants to have people working out in 10 degree weather, they should pay them as such. This company would be the best fundraising company around if they worked on their management and overall structure- particulate in boston. The Canadian company is far more advanced considering they were the first around. It is also important to consider that this is not a career, but a job, it can be a very meaningful job- but it preps you for the skills you will need to gain a career. Management lies, often.

Advice to Management

Take criticism. Try to open your mind to other perspectives than your own. Keep relationships and work relationship separate. Be careful with the way you communicate because it sounds like a prison guard attempting to seek control over someone.