Public Outreach Fundraising Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very positive work place; everyone bring their best self to work each and everyday, this creates a refreshing work environment for everyone involved (in 12 reviews)

• Working at Public Outreach has been a great experience for me (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a performance based job (in 11 reviews)

• You also are expected to hit certain numbers and that can be stressful- this is a performance based job (in 9 reviews)

1. "Amazing"

Pros

Amazing Company. great pay. fun time

Cons

ii have no cons for this.

2. "supervisor"

Pros

Great work environment, nice people, good compensation, great location, exposure to multiple facets of fundraising, large organization,

Cons

Expectation based, sometimes long hours

Advice to Management

none

3. "Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Fundraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to put care into action and have fun doing it!

Cons

It can be tiring work, and demanding, especially if you're not making numbers.

4. "Hands down best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The skills I get to practice to be good at this job have helped me grow in so many areas of my life for example finding my voice both physically and metaphorically to stand up for whats right in the world. I also love standing behind amazing organizations and making a lasting difference, the diverse and welcoming work environment, feeling valued and respected by the company as a whole.

Cons

I don't see this as a con but I can see how this would not work for everyone. One needs to be flexible, open to working in all weather conditions, open to changes that occur in the office like restructuring the day/ shift times. The job is stable, and, no two days are the same. This job is amazing and noble but it is not for everyone. The office space is incredibly positive- and you need to make sure you can find positives within yourself because mindset and perspective are what make you good at this job!

Advice to Management

This is a special place! Keep up the good work! My advice is continuous communication with staff helps to understand the job and its responsibilities. Morning meetings to practice skills and weekly check ins are really helpful to employees. Let's keep doing that!

5. "PO is legit af"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're more than just coworkers to one another. There is a huge feeling of togetherness. I actually feel like i'm making a difference in the world and it has helped me grow as a person

Cons

It can be a little disorganized at times and it sometimes seems like people are on different pages

Advice to Management

Be a little more organized and all on the same page so we can all avoid confusion

6. "Amazing opportunity!"

Current Employee - FACE to FACE FUNDRAISER in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - FACE to FACE FUNDRAISER in Boston, MA

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Public Outreach in Boston has been one of the best opportunities I've ever had. Everyone in the office and the company is amazing; Public Outreach really cares about their employees and offers tons of opportunities to grow and develop your skills. Plus, you get to go home everyday knowing you made a tangible difference in the world. It's a job that's not for everyone but if you commit it's incredibly rewarding. Not to mention Public Outreach recognizes fundraising as a skills-based job and takes time to develop the skills of every individual fundraiser, and we get paid a reasonable wage and offered benefits as well. Stellar people, amazing culture, just a great opportunity.

Cons

This job is definitely not for everyone and if you're the kind of person who likes to know exactly what's coming every single day, this might be a tougher work experience for you. Things change often and you have to be able to roll with the punches.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop the people you have and build on the systems in place to be the most effective fundraisers we can be.

7. "Best job ever!"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At PO you get to work with amazing individuals with all sorts of backgrounds while raising funds for some of the most well known and respected non-profits. This job has let me be the person I have always wanted to be and feel like I get to go to work instead of feeling like I have to.

Cons

There is a ton of rejection involved and the job is definitely not for everyone. It is a constant test of your patience and mental fortitude.

Advice to Management

Open more offices.

8. "A rewarding way to earn a living"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

This job has given me a platform to advocate for and make an impact on the issues I care the most about. I love the people I work with and the people I work for. Solid values are the guiding light of the organization and I am staying here and making this a career.

Cons

It really takes a certain kind of person to be successful here. The downside is we often can't be sure who is/is not that kind of person until they get out in the field. This can cause occasional disappointment and frustration from new recruits. It is also a performance based job and that brings some stress as well. But most of our staff have been here happily for years. It's tough but very doable.

Advice to Management

I think the pay structure is great for the most part and its awesome having good health insurance. But I believe we should start people at $15 rather than $14 in cities like NYC and Boston. Cost of living is unreasonably high and $14 is barely cutting it.

9. "Your able to reach out to those who were looking for a way to help."

Current Employee - Canvasser
    Current Employee - Canvasser

Pros

If you apply yourself, they recognize your hard work.
    They keep you informed and educated.
    The employee meetings and socials are fun.
    They give incentives and buy you coffee every morning.
    Insurance.
    Team/Family working together.
    For every ten angry people wishing you were not on the street, there is one person who says, "I am so happy your out here. I was looking for a way to help." That one in ten makes the job worth it.

Cons

I would prefer not to have to work in the rain. I love my job until it rains.

Job advancements for a canvasser do not get much further than supervisor and it easy to feel burnt out from canvassing. Some days I wish for a job with a seat but public outreach pays decent for not using a seat.

Advice to Management

It would be nice for some of the street canvasser to be able to switch to phone follow ups once in a while.

10. "Great!"

Pros

Friendly work environment, an opportunity to work for some amazing causes and organizations, flexible schedule, strong workplace culture, fun times

Cons

not as much skill sharing between departments as could be useful for many employees, more competitive wages for similar work

Advice to Management

strong leaders are created here but they also need training, more opportunities for managers to access training programs that would suit their departments