Public Outreach Fundraising Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
  • Great work environment and company culture, truly kind people and the opportunity to make a difference (in 10 reviews)

• Working at Public Outreach has been a great experience for me (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance-based job (however, I believe commission is unethical for charity fundraising) (in 7 reviews)

• Because Public Outreach focuses on raising funds for charities, its important that we keep our response high (in 7 reviews)

1. "Fundraiser"

Pros

- you will meet some great people
    - pays well if you can work your way up
    - you will learn about the charity world
    - talking to strangers everyday will help your communication skills

Cons

- inexperienced management
    - no strategy to grow the company
    - not for everyone

2. "The most fun fundraising job you can work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company culture embracing individuality, passion, hard work and joy in the workplace
    - Genuine and passionate management. Leaders not bosses, ie. managers actively fundraise with their staff.
    - Strictly not commission based. Hourly pay and frequent pay rises and bonuses.

Cons

- Not for the weak-willed or shy.
    - Not for those who dislike a bit of weather!

Advice to Management

Keep it up guys! You're building something special here!

3. "This job will give you thick skin and lots of friends!"

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time

Pros

Amazing co-workers and a rewarding work experience raising money for great causes. A trial by fire that hones an individuals interpersonal skills and your ability to get comfortable outside your comfort zone. Rewards hard work so raises and promotions are based on ability not seniority.

Cons

Not enough room to move up past manager. The work life balance at this job can be overwhelming. Long exposure to the elements especially in winter can be hard.

5. "Fundraiser"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best work culture to exist in. The structure of the company attracts the right type of people - energetic, positive, and caring. Not everyone is outgoing, but that does not mean that you cannot succeed in this fundraising position.

Cons

Face to Face fundraising is not for everyone, and if you do not meet objectives you will not keep your job. That being said, your managers do everything they can do ensure you do your best.

6. "You can earn a lot of money as a fundraiser if you excel at manipulation."

Former Employee - Team Leader in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-pays well
    -great work culture
    - there are opportunities to move up within a company
    - the management cares

Cons

-working in tough outdoor conditions
    -the job requires you to get "creative " at how you sign people up
    - high turnover

Advice to Management

Crack down on the shady people who work there. It sets a bad example for new hires.

7. "Very Challenging"

Former Employee - Fundraiser
    Former Employee - Fundraiser

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising part-time

Pros

-You meet some extraordinary and good people.
    -Your fear of rejection will be solved forever.
    - humbling experience.
    - you gain a lot of communication skills.

Cons

-Very stressful, because they tell you that you have to get a minimum number of people to sign up with you or they might let you go. It takes the fun out of it and also makes you do it just for the sake of signing people up with yourself and not for anything rewarding like actually making people aware of the problems.
    -There is not enough clarity in policies.
    -It's ver very tiring, challenging and intense, to a point where at the end of the day when you go home you just go to bed and die till the next morning! :D

Advice to Management

-Let the employees be relaxed.
    -Also, someone in the interview said public outreach is a non-profit but then on the first training day of training some other staff member who was teaching us told us it's a for profit. So .. I think there should be more clarity.

8. "Door to door"

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good pay
          - I was making $16 an hour to do an easy job
    - Got to walk outside all day
          - I was working in the Summer so I loved it, but I imagine it would be a little bit less enjoyable in the winter
    - Fun environment
          - Everyone was always in a good mood, my boss was great at motivating people, we would always play games when we got to our turf to get everyone in a good mood
    - Could get any day off as long as you booked it a week ahead of time

Cons

- Working from 4pm - 9 pm shifts Monday - Friday sucked
    - No potential to work more hours at our office, but I know some other offices had weekend shifts that you could pick up

9. "Fundraising Supervisor"

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time

Pros

-Great work environment and company culture, truly kind people and the opportunity to make a difference. Managers believe in mentoring employees, and there are many opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

-For most positions, you have to be prepared to work outside- rain or shine! Personally I enjoyed it- but just something to consider.

10. "Fundraiser"

I worked at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time

Pros

Great way to raise a lot of money and if youre good you will get promoted very quickly

Cons

Days where you are getting no sign ups can be difficult

Advice to Management

Awesome managers, awesome fundraisers, great place to work

"Don't believe the hype"

I have been working at Public Outreach Fundraising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Casual environment. Benefits. Work for some good causes. Opportunity to advance.

Cons

It's more a cult than a job. Not all the charities are as great as they say. Check out the Red Cross in Haiti. Often talking points about the charity are not validated, even by repair from the charities. Advancement can be based on personal not professional criteria. The drug policy is on a plausible deniability basis. Real enforcement would shut down whole offices and wipe out large portions of leadesship. Any competiveness in pay or benefits is only what makes a brutal job endurable. Use it to cover your bills, move on as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

Your leadership on the street is high right now. Don't confuse what you call a professional decision for a personal one, and then use that to screw someone's employment future. Take a look at you're hypocritical posture before condemning others.