Public Preparatory Network Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"GPLESMS!"

I have been working at Public Preparatory Network full-time

Pros

Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School is an amazing place to work. The staff, families, and girls are incredible, and I feel lucky to work here.

Cons

I really value my time here.

2. "Not a terrible school to work for, but not the best either."

Current Employee - ELA Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - ELA Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Preparatory Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of WOMEN in power
    -Great coaching systems
    -Good teacher week incentives when that time rolls around

Cons

-Not enough opportunity for growth
    -GOSSIP RULES THE SCHOOL between adults, including leadership
    -Lack of efficient professional development (yes, these meetings are pointless)

"Find another network"

I have been working at Public Preparatory Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn a lot but it’s mostly due because you will be thrown into a million jobs.

Cons

It’s a growing network therefore you will have to do double the work than at other schools. Compensation is not good. Most strong teachers leave because of the lack of competitive salary and long hours.

Aug 30, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate your feedback and are currently working on systems/structures to support staff workload as well as a revamped compensation package... More

"I completely understand the high turnover at PPN"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at Public Preparatory Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had to think long and hard to find something positive to say, but the girls at the school can be really sweet. It’s sad to think of the education they are getting at PPN and how the “leaders” don’t care about them or the staff.

Cons

Where do I begin :
    There were several red flags (more than half of the staff at the school is new).
    The curriculum is not designed and sufficient enough to meet the needs of all of the students. The students pretty much run the school as administrators turn an eye to their reckless and out of control behaviors. The school is not designed or prepared to handle the troubled students and we are pretty much setting them up for failure.
    The communication among staff is poor and there’s plenty of finger pointing and projecting of the blame.

I could go on but I anticipate another mass exodus at the end (if not before) of the year.

Advice to Management

Good luck.
    The key to closing the achievement gap ( if that is even your priority ) is not overworking and under supporting your employees.
    Be mindful and respectful of people’s time, feelings and needs. We don’t need PD every Wednesday.
    The systems, policies and routines are dated (really, home visits).
    Stop writing fake reviews. No one is that happy to work for PPN.

Aug 30, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your experience. We apologize that your experience was not positive and hope that it has improved.

We are inspired by the growth that we... More

5. "Sound mission."

I have been working at Public Preparatory Network full-time

Pros

It provides an exceptional learning environment for its students.

Cons

A work-life balance is hard to maintain.

Advice to Management

Grow leaders from within your organization.

Aug 30, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback!

This year, we have revamped our teacher leadership pipeline work and enhanced our stipended opportunities for aspiring teacher leaders! We are... More

"Just Awful"

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Public Preparatory Network (More than a year)

Pros

The kids and coworkers and a few leaders.

Cons

Long hours especially for the kids and no appreciation for teachers hard work
    Co teacher model but I saw a co worker teaching alone once her co teacher was fired for the whole year
    observations were like you had two scholars who were off task as if that was horrible, especially if every other scholar was listening.
    most of the leadership left before the year was out
    hardly any staff that ended the school year came back the following
    Lack of support
    Lack of good coaching
    This place wants you work miracles with children that have needs that cant be met within the classroom
    We never even had a 2nd grade team leader the entire year
    I literally had no coach for 6 months.
    then the principal had to do it along with everything else. This wasn't a good experience AT ALL!!!!!
    I would never want to send my sons to this school! RUN FAR AWAY!!!!

Advice to Management

Really need to work on setting your teachers up for success. Actually check in after summer PD and fill in those gaps. Seeing it in theory and doing it hands on is two different things. Don't say you want A-Z to get done but you only allot time for A-D.Stop being Success Academy wanna bees. They have a different structure set in place that works for them. Be creative connect with the boys and teach them according to their needs.
    What's the point of separating genders if you are going to teach them like girls.
     The expectations are unrealistic and it's a sad thing because the kids are the ones that lose.

Aug 30, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your experience at Boys Prep. We appreciate your service to the organization and apologize that your time with us left a negative impression... More

"Long Hours, Low Pay"

I have been working at Public Preparatory Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The children are absolutely wonderful.

Cons

The current salary schedule is $10k behind other NYC charter school networks. As a result, Public Prep cannot find qualified teachers to hire. The organization is extremely top heavy- expect to report to 6+ bosses.

There is a culture of deceit at this school- teachers do not trust administrators to support them, and administrators do not trust teachers to teach. Expect to be micromanaged and spoken down to.

Administrators know that there is a culture problem and refuses to make changes to their way of doing things. Teachers are asked to act as supervisors to their colleagues on an almost daily basis. There have been incidents where children are incredibly unsafe due to the actions of a teacher, and the other teachers on the team are asked to "handle it".

Advice to Management

You need to actually supervise the teachers, not just show up in their classrooms once a month and talk down to them. Pay the teachers a fair wage.

Aug 30, 2018

Thank you for your service to Public Prep. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback about your experience.

We truly believe that our girls/boys and their families are the reason that... More

"Believe the Negative Press"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Public Preparatory Network full-time

Pros

Salary - it is nice working with the families

Cons

Worst job I have ever had. Counting down the days until the nightmare is over

"Please read carefully"

I worked at Public Preparatory Network full-time

Pros

The students are wonderful and the families.

Cons

This organization was the absolute worst embodiment of everything a Charter should be.

The “talent” department should be ashamed of themselves for allowing such harassment, manager retaliation and terminations based on politics and friendships.

Where is the accountability from the HR team? Where is the protection for staff?
    Serious issues have been presented to network leadership for years and they either react slowly or react incompetently.

The network made a HUGE mistake hiring the superintendent. (Who is now the interim principal of the boys school because the principal “left”)

The girls suffer also because of the immense turnover and back biting.

PPN does a couple of things well:
    1. Write fake reviews (see Jan 5)
    2. Fire staff
    3. They never have a transition plan so everyone scrambles because no one know how to do a role.
    4. When an employee tells HR they are being harassed and treated unfairly, the right thing to do is listen and ACT. Not sit back and say “I hear you, let me know how it goes”

Advice to Management

Make peace with your actions and your students. You have done irreparable harm to people and their families. You have set people up to fail.

"Girls Prep"

I have been working at Public Preparatory Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff that really cares about the girls well-being.
    Great education level compared to other schools.
    Working environment is vey comfortable and SFA dept is vey supportive.
    Great benefits.

Cons

Salary.
    Work load- a bit heavy and doesn't match the compensation.
    Leadership -I believe this is improving and will get better.
    Accountability - staff are not held equally accountable for things that occur in the workplace.
    Cliquey.

Advice to Management

Include more individuals in the hiring process, I believe that different individuals can provide different perspectives. Leadership needs to be open and receptive to feedback, also interact with students and families on a smaller, more intimate scale.